Become a Patron!

Why does it taste so different?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why does juice taste so different in different atties?

I have 3 atties all with the identicle .6 ohm 2x30 ss twisted coil all running at same setting on mod.. pico75 TCR 85 at 18 watts ... temp setting do various by atty. VW mod used mostly is a curve starting at150% dropping to 90% over 3 seconds wattage at 13 to 15....

The atties are a Avocado22, Serpent Alto and Origin Genesis....... juice is a tobacco blend. And each atty brings a different ingredient to the front...... the Avocado bring the dominant flavor of Latakia.... the Serpent the brings Virginia forward and the Origin Brings the fire cure Virginia forward. Total flavor is about 15% with the Latakia at 8% VIRGINIA at 5% Perique black at1.5% and the fire cure at .5%.....

1 bottle and I swear it tastes like 3 of single flavor juices.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The difference in atomizers could make the liquid taste different.
Some flavors are sharper or duller.

Clapton

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A different mod can also give a different flavour because of different batteries and chipsets. You get different charts for your wattage on different mods. Regulated or mechanical.. all small differences result in flavour shapes. Not to forget the coil in different heights in the also different airflow (and airflow setting) of every atomizer.

In my first weeks in vaping I never thought that it could be such a bunch of important parameters.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
A different mod can also give a different flavour because of different batteries and chipsets. You get different charts for your wattage on different mods. Regulated or mechanical.. all small differences result in flavour shapes. Not to forget the coil in different heights in the also different airflow (and airflow setting) of every atomizer.

In my first weeks in vaping I never thought that it could be such a bunch of important parameters.
Different coil temperatures and airflow will bring out different notes in many juices.
+1
However, the difference in the shape of the atty's chamber also has an influence.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
+1
However, the difference in the shape of the atty's chamber also has an influence.
I was about to say this! A smaller chamber seems to give a more intense flavour and a 22mm tends to be more natural than say something bigger like a 24

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not to forget the coil in different heights in the also different airflow (and airflow setting) of every atomizer.
I want to know more about the height of coils effecting flavor. I use Griffin RTAs of different varieties. In your experience, what height would give a better flavor. I usually keep the level to the posts. I never really thought to run em low or high.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to know more about the height of coils effecting flavor. I use Griffin RTAs of different varieties. In your experience, what height would give a better flavor. I usually keep the level to the posts. I never really thought to run em low or high.
Coil closest to coil gives good flavour but also close to the airhole gives good flavour so having it level to the posts is middle ground so tbh I think you've nailed the positioning. I'm also a Griffin user btw so this is first hand experience :)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
  1. Airflow
  2. Density of Vapor
  3. Temperature of the coils
  4. Chamber size

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

What I've heard is that if you build lower, closer to the airhole, you get more flavor; higher, closer to your mouth, you get more TH. But I pretty much always use bottom airflow atties, to which that applies; not sure how height would affect the taste in some other airflow arrangement.

Andria

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I've heard is that if you build lower, closer to the airhole, you get more flavor; higher, closer to your mouth, you get more TH. But I pretty much always use bottom airflow atties, to which that applies; not sure how height would affect the taste in some other airflow arrangement.

Andria
You are totally correct. Closer to the airhole gives more flavour :)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I was about to say this! A smaller chamber seems to give a more intense flavour and a 22mm tends to be more natural than say something bigger like a 24
I have to disappoint you. I have an original Castor RDA by Fog Monsterz for a 26650 mod, it has a 30 mm diameter. It's design of the chamber, and it's airflow, makes for an excellent flavor RDA. However, it can also chuck some awesome clouds.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You are totally correct. Closer to the airhole gives more flavour :)
IMHO, as @Zamazam indicated, it's about the density of the vapor. Less about the airflow. However, depending on your coil(s), you might need to provide more airflow, in order to keep the temperature to what's needed, in order to provide the right "environment" your eJuice needs for best flavor.
Overall though, it's try and error, to find the proper atty and build, that provides the experience, you're looking for.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to disappoint you. I have an original Castor RDA by Fog Monsterz for a 26650 mod, it has a 30 mm diameter. It's design of the chamber, and it's airflow, makes for an excellent flavor RDA. However, it can also chuck some awesome clouds.
I have used 30mm that link the shit out of 22mm attys. I just think a 22mm is more natural and it's all preference

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMHO, as @Zamazam indicated, it's about the density of the vapor. Less about the airflow. However, depending on your coil(s), you might need to provide more airflow, in order to keep the temperature to what's needed, in order to provide the right "environment" your eJuice needs for best flavor.
Overall though, it's try and error, to find the proper atty and build, that provides the experience, you're looking for.
It is about the density yes but you can't say airflow doesn't affect flavour

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It is about the density yes but you can't say airflow doesn't affect flavour
As mentioned, "...However, depending on your coil(s), you might need to provide more airflow, in order to keep the temperature to what's needed, in order to provide the right "environment" your eJuice needs for best flavor...."

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Different coil temperatures and airflow will bring out different notes in many juices.

In my case coils are all same 2x30ss twisted at .6ohm and settings used on mods also same. Airflow is set to give pretty much the same draws. heck I'm even using the drip tip on all three tanks. I think it comes down to the differences in shape and size of chambers and the path the air takes and coil position. in relation to flow.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In my case coils are all same 2x30ss twisted at .6ohm and settings used on mods also same. Airflow is set to give pretty much the same draws. heck I'm even using the drip tip on all three tanks. I think it comes down to the differences in shape and size of chambers and the path the air takes and coil position. in relation to flow.
As I said airflow.
Not just the amount but the path as well and the intensity it hits the coil at, etc.

for example you can have a small chamber and cut the AFC down to about nothing, but if the air hole hitting the coil is not small it will not be a good tight MTL vape even if the airflow is butthole tight.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Drip tips play a huge part and suprised no one has mentioned that yet!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As I said airflow.
Not just the amount but the path as well and the intensity it hits the coil at, etc.

for example you can have a small chamber and cut the AFC down to about nothing, but if the air hole hitting the coil is not small it will not be a good tight MTL vape even if the airflow is butthole tight.

Absolutely true. If you want a tight draw, look at the inner airhole; if it's more than about 1.2mm, you will not get a good tight draw, no matter what you do to the external airflow. It'll feel like drinking an imaginary drink thru an empty straw.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Absolutely true. If you want a tight draw, look at the inner airhole; if it's more than about 1.2mm, you will not get a good tight draw, no matter what you do to the external airflow. It'll feel like drinking an imaginary drink thru an empty straw.

Andria
yeah the Busardo/Dimitri 'MTL' atty with the pepper shaker air flow under the coil will never give a good tight MTL vape.
A loose MTL yes, but not a true tight MTL vape.
Busardo has moved on past tight MTL vaping.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
+1
Yup, rounded shapes, or conical shapes, and small size have so much to do with it.

If there is a "ceiling" instead of a dome, your flavor won't be as intense.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
As unimportant as it may sound, the drip tip also has an influence of the flavor. Depending on what you're going for, besides the size, and shape of the chamber, a drip tip with a smaller ID, might improve flavor as well. Again, this also has to do with airflow.
All about try and error!

VU Sponsors