Become a Patron!

Why does this keep happening to me?? Another defective spinner!

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You may have seen my post from last week about a clone Spinner II from ebay burning in my hand. After that, I got a clone Spinner III from MyFreedomSmokes for about the same price. Many people said getting a clone from a reputable seller like MFS as opposed to some random guy on ebay should be safe, so I did.

The clone Spinner III on MFS had great reviews and it seems nobody else has had a problem with theirs, so I got one. It worked fine for a few days, aside from the color of the lights not accurately portraying the battery level. I really enjoyed it and for the first time had a vape that was more satisfying than analogs. I was set!

But today it did something similar to that clone Spinner II from last week... It randomly started firing without pressing the button and burned up my atomizer before I had the chance to unscrew it. It's been about an hour and it is still firing nonstop. Just a solid light on the button, and pressing it will not change a thing. Not even connecting it to a screw on charger will reset it.

I was just using a 1.8 ohm build on a mini protank 3. And I know it isn't a shorting coil because it works fine with my three cheap ego batteries. Why did this happen? I was so sure that this would be a good battery, provided it is from MFS. It wasn't even one of those clones that are made to fool you. It was in packaging with another brand on it (CVT or something I think) and the battery just says Spinner III, not vision. That's what I would call an "honest clone". I don't know why this happened.

What are your opinions? Should I be upset at MFS or is it possibly my fault since I'm more of a beginner?
Sorry that this post sort of turned into a rant.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No sweat about the rant. We've all been there. It's frustrating as hell to have faulty equipment, or for things to simply not do what you wished they would when you're first trying to transition away from analogs.

First and foremost, if the product is defective, reach out to the vendor. MFS has a great rep, and I'd be surprised if they didn't assist you. I've made a few purchases from them, and although I've not had an issue, I have sent them questions via email and gotten quick responses.

Some advice: The first starter kit I bought were Smok VV winders. It was like 70.00 for two batts and two tanks. And they sucked big time. I can't imagine the quality on the cheaper ones being all that great. Perhaps invest a bit more on a more solid starter set up.

To answer that "what am I doing wrong?" bit:

It's possible you are mashing the button too hard, and damaging the electronics underneath.

It is also possible that a substance has gotten in there and has done the same thing. I manage a video game retail store, and if I had a dollar for every controller I've had returned due to " stuck buttons" that had dirt, grime, or foodstuffs in there, I'd retire.

It's also possible it got wet, and again, same result.

Could be something I'm not thinking of, and I'm sure others will chime in.

If you're certain none of the above applies, could just be a bad string of luck on defective product. Definitely do as I first stated and reach out to the vendor for assistance.

Good luck!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We've all been there with bumm gear dude, when I first started vaping the heads of my egos would pop off in my pocket I killed 2 in 1 week. But I was able to cut down a few smokes which showed me the vaping would work for me, so rather than kill a third one I bought an MVP2, at the time that was a high class little box, and its still a good performer for alot people.
Like dantefire said, I would contact MFS, they are a good vendor. Also, if this something you think may work for you, maybe start looking at some things that are a little more durable; unless of course you do really like the spinners. In which case the innokin vv4, is roughly the same size but quite sturdy.

Last edited:

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No sweat about the rant. We've all been there. It's frustrating as hell to have faulty equipment, or for things to simply not do what you wished they would when you're first trying to transition away from analogs.

First and foremost, if the product is defective, reach out to the vendor. MFS has a great rep, and I'd be surprised if they didn't assist you. I've made a few purchases from them, and although I've not had an issue, I have sent them questions via email and gotten quick responses.

Some advice: The first starter kit I bought were Smok VV winders. It was like 70.00 for two batts and two tanks. And they sucked big time. I can't imagine the quality on the cheaper ones being all that great. Perhaps invest a bit more on a more solid starter set up.

To answer that "what am I doing wrong?" bit:

It's possible you are mashing the button too hard, and damaging the electronics underneath.

It is also possible that a substance has gotten in there and has done the same thing. I manage a video game retail store, and if I had a dollar for every controller I've had returned due to " stuck buttons" that had dirt, grime, or foodstuffs in there, I'd retire.

It's also possible it got wet, and again, same result.

Could be something I'm not thinking of, and I'm sure others will chime in.

If you're certain none of the above applies, could just be a bad string of luck on defective product. Definitely do as I first stated and reach out to the vendor for assistance.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input. It's definitely not from pressing hard or moisture though. I handle my vapes so gingerly and they never even leave the desk.

As for the MFS support, I did open a ticket on their site as soon as it happened, but I'm sure I will not like the reply since they would probably have me pay for the shipping again. A few months ago I opened a ticket because 4 out of 5 of my replacement CE5 heads did not even work since they were damaged in shipping. It took a long time for them to respond, but they did refund me store credit. Since my first pack of factory heads didn't even work, I started rebuilding immediately after beginning to vape.

I just hope they refund it or something.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recall hearing a lot of people bitch about the protanks leaking.

What I'm getting at here is there is a chance its been weeping juice directly into the top of the mod, causing a short, which would explain why its autofiring on yet another spinner.

Last edited:

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recall hearing a lot of people bitch about the protanks leaking.

What I'm getting at here is there is a chance its been weeping juice directly into the top of the mod, causing a short, which would explain why its autofiring on yet another spinner.
It is my first bottom coil, so I worry about leaking often, but it has never happened. Every ten minutes I've been unscrewing it and putting my pinky in both the battery and tank connections, and there is no moisture.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If its not juice getting in there wreaking havoc, then I'm afraid it may just be a case of repeated bad luck combined with uber cheap Chinese gadgety.

There is a reason many of us have moved away from those types of batteries. In the end, sometimes they just don't work well enough, consistently enough.

If you can stand a slightly larger device, your options really open up considerably, and in the end you'll probably find them to be more reliable overall. YMMV though, of course. Different strokes for different folks, and whatnot.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I mentioned i think in the last thread you did, those ego batteries are one of the biggest rip offs in the industry....they are tiny 14500 batteries that barely support a 1.5 ohm single coil clearomizer and have crappy chips in them of which you can buy for less than 2 dollars if you wanted to.

Invest now and dont waste anymore of your money on ego batteries...Pick up a clone eleaf 20 watt for 20 25 dollars dollars with a 2200mah battery built in and be done with it....You will eventually move up another step as you learn more as most of us do.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to agree, not with what type of battery to move on to, but that if you have had such bad luck with your current choice, maybe time to try something different that may even give you better performance and longer life, many suggestions I see on here sound like great choices Good luck:)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am wondering if somehow you got a bum charger that is harming the batteries.

Are you using the same charger that came with your first device on both batteries?

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You're building your own PT coils? Using an ohm reader? Also, are you certain that winder can handle 1.8? Some of em only handle 2.0 to even 2.5.

Bottom line, if you're certain its defective, stop using it. Even those little guys can hurt you if they blow.

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Are you using the same charger that came with your first device on both batteries?
Good point Uncle RJ. I used ego type batteries for awhile, until I got so fed up with the quality that I had to switch for the sake of my sanity. I just kept buying more ego's some worked a few months others worked a week. It was terrible. Once I knew I was 100% committed to vaping I upgraded. There are way more options available than there was then.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I have three screw on chargers and they all work consistently for all four of my batteries.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Not all chargers are equal even if they kinda look the same.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That sucks for you sorry to hear your having continued issues. It was ego style issues that pushed me into a dual using phase for a period. I would do as you already have done and open up the RMA dialog with MFS and get them to a refund back to your card.

From there I would go to http://www.vaporbeast.com/innokin-itaste-mvp-20-watt.html use the code YEAHBABY for a total of 22.49 and then add between 3-6 bucks to ship and for less than 30 bucks you will have a more reliable device than the ego sticks and the 20w comes with an ego adaptor so you can use your current tank selection.
If you do not like the 20w mvp they have the 30w and a variety of other price friendly devices like the Sig 30w and the coupon code works for everything.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That sucks for you sorry to hear your having continued issues. It was ego style issues that pushed me into a dual using phase for a period. I would do as you already have done and open up the RMA dialog with MFS and get them to a refund back to your card.

From there I would go to http://www.vaporbeast.com/innokin-itaste-mvp-20-watt.html use the code YEAHBABY for a total of 22.49 and then add between 3-6 bucks to ship and for less than 30 bucks you will have a more reliable device than the ego sticks and the 20w comes with an ego adaptor so you can use your current tank selection.
If you do not like the 20w mvp they have the 30w and a variety of other price friendly devices like the Sig 30w and the coupon code works for everything.
What I never understood is, if the ratio of voltage and resistance determines the wattage, how can these batteries control the wattage alone? I like the idea of a more steady battery, but I want it to be simple.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know for sure, but its probably just a potentiometer in the spinner type batteries. Full charge, and cranked all the way up is 4.2v, turning it down allows less voltage through. Atty resistance is what it is, you reduce the voltage and wattage falls accordingly.

Now a true regulated mod, on the other hand, has electronics doing the work with buck/boost circuitry and whatnot.

This has been a semi-educated guess. Now back to your regularly scheduled vaping chatter. :)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
:
What I never understood is, if the ratio of voltage and resistance determines the wattage, how can these batteries control the wattage alone? I like the idea of a more steady battery, but I want it to be simple.
I hate to say the obvious, but it is simple.
You're thinking to much, dude. Lol
You set the wattage, resistance is set, and it adjust the voltage. Really its that simple

The ego style just look simpler, the mods that are referenced are the same thing in a different package, with a different type of control and usually more power at your disposal
If you like the dial, check out the joyetech egrip, small replaceable heads, onboard juice well, and 20w of baling glory. But its the tank and batter in one unit
http://vapingcheap.com/joyetech-e-grip/

Last edited:

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
:

I hate to say the obvious, but it is simple.
You're thinking to much, dude. Lol
You set the wattage, resistance is set, and it adjust the voltage. Really its that simple

The ego style just look simpler, the mods that are referenced are the same thing in a different package, with a different type of control and usually more power at your disposal
If you like the dial, check out the joyetech egrip, small replaceable heads, onboard juice well, and 20w of baling glory. But its the tank and batter in one unit
http://vapingcheap.com/joyetech-e-grip/
Wow! I took a good look at that egrip and I think I want one. I also see for about 8 bucks you can get an rda head for it and rebuild. Do you have this? And if so then is it really as good as it seems? Or is it just going to break after a short while like the rest of my stuff seems to be doing.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I
Wow! I took a good look at that egrip and I think I want one. I also see for about 8 bucks you can get an rda head for it and rebuild. Do you have this? And if so then is it really as good as it seems? Or is it just going to break after a short while like the rest of my stuff seems to be doing.
Personally I do not have one; but, it is on my list. Joyetech is a very well known company and they do make some very high quality gear. I've used one and they are made extremely well, do vape terrifically; especially, for an all in one unit.
I can safely say, you wont have the same issue you're having now.

Last edited:

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have 2 E-Grips and the wife has 2 all with the RBA heads.

The E-Grip with the RBA head is the cats meow! None of you will be disappointed.

You will still want to hang on to the one of them spinners and pick up that tool cap holder thingy you'll need to burn the coils with.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Try pulling out the 510 pin a little bit. A common problem is the pin doesn't make contact

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Maybe I'm missing something but could the problem simply be that you're buying clones??

I have a store and we sell authentic Vision II spinners. We're getting out of them now but they were good performers. I probably sold at least a hundred or so and had exactly one problem. (A buyer said his button was 'sticky' so we replaced it. Button seemed fine to us, we still use it as a tester battery and it's at least six months old at this point.)

Vision had a big problem with clones and it really hurt their reputation among many customers (at least in my area). I've had a least 20 people come in and complain about their crappy 'Vision Spinner' battery that stopped working after three weeks. Of course, when I asked where they bought it, they paid twelve or fifteen dollars at some flea market.

I agree that there are better options out there now so I wouldn't recommend buying one but it's not fair to dump on the 'spinner' name when you're deliberately buying clones.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am going to agree with the clone issue in this instance.

The spinner has to be either the #1 (or very close to it) cloned piece of vapegear on the planet and a lot of them are of extremely low quality and it is hard to tell which one is genuine and which of the 20+ (my guess anyway) of the clones on the market are not.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Really? Ummmmm the spinners and egos may be the "most cloned" but I had a similar problem as the OP, with verified authentic. I was losing the top of the damn things every time I jumped in the car with the thingy in my pocket.
Thank goodness! Haha the terrible build quality was what made move on to other gear. I couldn't afford a new spinner a day.

My Freedom smokes is selling clone spinner batteries as vision products?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Really? Ummmmm the spinners and egos may be the "most cloned" but I had a similar problem as the OP, with verified authentic. I was losing the top of the damn things every time I jumped in the car with the thingy in my pocket.
Thank goodness! Haha the terrible build quality was what made move on to other gear. I couldn't afford a new spinner a day.

Great point and I will modify my original statement.

First and foremost, I never thought for a moment hat the OP woke up one morning and said "Hey, this is a great day to go and purchase a cheap assed clone spinner from eBay that will quickly break on me":D

And as a fellow vaper, I do feel his pain as when I first started vaping myself I had my own misadventures. Which is a big part of why to this day I have a burning hatred of anything that starts with CE. And the fact that folks keep bundling them with decent batteries and chargers makes me wonder how many poor people that wanted to try vaping to stop smoking gave it up as a bad idea because of those cheap assed CE clearos!

But I digress (as is my wont..........:()

And even authentic Spinners can fall victim to poor quality control (Lord knows how many are made each year? A few hundred thousand?) and it is the end user like the OP that ends up holding the dirty end of the battery unless the place they got it from steps up and makes good on the problem.

Need my meds now:eek:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Great point and I will modify my original statement.

First and foremost, I never thought for a moment hat the OP woke up one morning and said "Hey, this is a great day to go and purchase a cheap assed clone spinner from eBay that will quickly break on me":D

And as a fellow vaper, I do feel his pain as when I first started vaping myself I had my own misadventures. Which is a big part of why to this day I have a burning hatred of anything that starts with CE. And the fact that folks keep bundling them with decent batteries and chargers makes me wonder how many poor people that wanted to try vaping to stop smoking gave it up as a bad idea because of those cheap assed CE clearos!

But I digress (as is my wont..........:()

And even authentic Spinners can fall victim to poor quality control (Lord knows how many are made each year? A few hundred thousand?) and it is the end user like the OP that ends up holding the dirty end of the battery unless the place they got it from steps up and makes good on the problem.

Need my meds now:eek:
That class of products are the vaping equivalent to trigonometry for engineering students. If they piss you off and you keep vaping you'll make the transition successfully.
Lmao !

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Actually, I came damn close to quitting vaping because of the "Stardust" CE4 clearos which were supposed to be the "Best of the Best" way back.

They were just HORRIBLE!

But at the same time, Kanger came out with the T-2 clearomizer and those little beauties saved the day for me.

Hell, I still fire up one from time to time for old times sake and I still love them even with all the "Advanced" gear that I have now.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hahah! I got lucky, I starter when the aerotank was just being released.
My first setup was the spinner with an evod. My second and third were also. Hahah
Then I wised up and got an MVP/aerotank and quit.
That is still a good performing setup for what it is.
Every once in a while ill do the same for nostalgia reasons.
But the evods can bite me. Those things give me nightmares.

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
<snip>

That's what the OP said. He said he got a 'clone spinner III' from MFS.

I haven't bought the vision spinners in awhile (several months) but I remember seeing a post on their site explaining that they do not make spinner III's and anything advertising itself as a Vision Spinner III was not made by them. This could have changed within the past couple of months - as I mentioned, I haven't been keeping up with the spinners lately.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, that was a question; but, not my point
My point was; that, my verified authentic ones were equally deplorable in the durability category.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought one of those "automatic" batteries because I didn't know any better. What a POS. lasted 10 minutes maybe. Batteryspace.com has better deals by a few cents sometimes, but if you need it, they have it. I'm impressed.

luxfog

Member For 4 Years
Vision spinner 3 clone has very high defect rate.
Vision Spinner 2 clone has too but not many, it also depends on which companies make it.
Vision Spinner 1 clone is much better but still some defect rate higher than common ego battery.

I would rather recommend you to buy vision spinner 2 for good quality.

Just got my new Joy tech egrip oled works like a dream no problems. The shop i bought it from advised me to run it on 17.5 watts and it works well .So far so good .It is heavy and very robust machined from a solid stainless block .Paint job is excellent to .

VU Sponsors