Become a Patron!

WHY HARM REDUCTION IS NECESSARY IN THE FIGHT AGAINST SMOKING

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yet, numerous alternative systems for nicotine delivery exist, many of them far safer than smoking. A pragmatic, public-health approach to tobacco control would recognize a continuum of risk and encourage nicotine users to move themselves down the risk spectrum by choosing safer alternatives to smoking — without demanding abstinence.
Isn't it funny how some of those "alternative systems" are utterly uncontroversial, while others like ours, which are actually more effective, are cause so much gnashing of teeth in the "public health" sector? Why don't they worry that nic gum (that anyone can order on Amazon.com without any age check) might be a "gateway to smoking"?

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Im surprised that Snus thing is considered a good idea. Its essentially chewing tobacco isn't it and, I thought that carried a high risk of mouth cancer? I would take vaping over that any day of the week.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Im surprised that Snus thing is considered a good idea. Its essentially chewing tobacco isn't it and, I thought that carried a high risk of mouth cancer?
The tobacco in Swedish snus is cured in a completely different way (steam pasteurization) than American chew/dip. This minimizes the formation of tobacco-specific nitrosamines, which are likely the most significant carcinogen. There are decades of studies showing Swedish snus have a practically negligible effect on cancer rates, or any other health risks for that matter. And while American chew/dip definitely increases one's risk of oral cancer, the overall health risks are still considerably less than smoking.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The tobacco in Swedish snus is cured in a completely different way (steam pasteurization) than American chew/dip. This minimizes the formation of tobacco-specific nitrosamines, which are likely the most significant carcinogen. There are decades of studies showing Swedish snus have a practically negligible effect on cancer rates, or any other health risks for that matter. And while American chew/dip definitely increases one's risk of oral cancer, the overall health risks are still considerably less than smoking.

Ahh ok, that's interesting. I'd never heard of it until I read the linked article in the OP so know nothing about it. I think I will stick to vaping as my smoking replacement therapy - If it ain't broke don't fix it and all that!

VU Sponsors