Become a Patron!

Why is my AL85 saying 5.5 volts

Recently my mod has been acting weird. I have a single samsung 25r battery and when I fire it at 50w reads at 5.5 volts. I'm kind of new to vaping so I don't really know but I don't think it is safe to run that with a 3.7 volt battery. Thanks.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
18650 batteries run between the ranges of about 3.0v lowest to 4.2v fresh charge, the 3.7v on the label in the nominal voltage as the longest discharge curve is between 3.5 to 3.9v as that plateau. From your information, 50watts @ 5.5v, plug that into an Ohm's Law Calculator gives us 0.6ohms resistance and 9.09amps. So, using "Watts Law, part of Ohms Law" "Watts Set/Lowest Battery Charge/90% Mod Control Board Efficiency=Max Amps", 50watts/3.0v/90%=18.5185amps Max you ever ask of the batteries. The voltage you are seeing is the voltage the control board is sending to the coils, not what it is pulling from the battery.

Most current regulated mods are DC to DC straight signal, however if the voltage is over and above what is needed at a certain Ohm rating to reach a certain set watts, the control board has a bucking circuit, this circuit shunts that extra power out of the signal to the coils, in the opposite if the battery does not have enough voltage to reach the necessary voltage to get to said watts, it activates its "Boosting Circuit" to make up the difference.

The boosting circuit when active pulls raw amps from the battery, then converts those amps into volts and splices those extra volts into the signal to the coil.

Its not the voltage so much you have to worry about, its the amps you ask of a battery that matter, and to figure that out I've shown the formula above, your mod sounds to be functioning just fine, and you have nothing to worry about.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@IMFire3605 has gave a great in depth explanation for you, if you are completely new though I can see the confusion. 5.5V isn't the voltage of your battery, it is what is going to your atomiser after being boosted.

Your actual battery voltage will be as it should be :)

VU Sponsors