Become a Patron!

Why is my big baby winning lol

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
So i have started building coils getting into rdas. My question is why is my big baby literally killing my royal hunter. Is it just that good or am i missing or messing something up. Royal hunter has a dual build rockout out .20 .21. The big baby has the original coil at .15 . i hurd the rdas give much more flavor and clouds but in my case i do not see it. I have tried a smaller coil twisted wire. The .2 build is twisted ka 26 g wire 4 wraps. I tried a few dif wicks.
Also to note i did change the nic level with the rda i lowered it

Attachments

• 20170310_193733_Burst01-1.jpg
    20170310_193733_Burst01-1.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170310_174425_Burst01.jpg
    20170310_174425_Burst01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
First thoughts ---
The Baby Beast is a closed air chamber which will have a totally different airflow than an RDA style setup. So take that into consideration.

Second, looking at your pictures, I would start with more wire and less cotton. Your pictures are a little blurry, so it's hard to see the details of the cotton and coils. If you have KA1 26g wire, keep it simple first.

Roll out two of these simple coils.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.5&awg=26&id=3

0.5Ω total (1.0Ω p/coil) on a 3mm ID jig. You can also use 1/8" bit to get the near same size.
I would end up spacing them just a bit to get more surface to cotton area coverage. Just enough to fit a 22 or 24g wire in between them.

Here is a picture of exactly what I described --- I just rolled one out for you.
IMG_20170310_202200756 (Large).jpg

Then cut a strip of cotton (if using sheets) at 12-13mm wide. Fluff it up a bit and tight roll an end and poke it into the coils. Then cut it to length, just touching the bottom of the juice deck.

For wattage, I would start around 35W and work up. I (me) would probably end up around 45-50W when I'm done working it up to where I like the heat.

Last edited:

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
First thoughts ---
The Baby Beast is a closed air chamber which will have a totally different airflow than an RDA style setup. So take that into consideration.

Second, looking at your pictures, I would start with more wire and less cotton. Your pictures are a little blurry, so it's hard to see the details of the cotton and coils. If you have KA1 26g wire, keep it simple first.

Roll out two of these simple coils.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.5&awg=26&id=3

0.5Ω total (1.0Ω p/coil) on a 3mm ID jig. You can also use 1/8" bit to get the near same size.
I would end up spacing them just a bit to get more surface to cotton area coverage. Just enough to fit a 22 or 24g wire in between them.

Here is a picture of exactly what I described --- I just rolled one out for you.
View attachment 76547

Then cut a strip of cotton (if using sheets) at 12-13mm wide. Fluff it up a bit and tight roll an end and poke it into the coils. Then cut it to length, just touching the bottom of the juice deck.

For wattage, I would start around 35W and work up. I (me) would probably end up around 45-50W when I'm done working it up to where I like the heat.
Thabk you for taking the time for to give me this tip. I am going to try it out right now. I went with twisted q
Wire because i was seeing it worked better a few guys were saying. Ill will lower my cotten use also

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Twisted is a step up, yes, but it would be better to get a "starting" understanding of the build process first, then just upgrade your coils and move forward.
Clapton coils are even better, but I'm not going to tell you to make those until your ready to either. :D

Once you get a good working vape on standard coils, move up.

On the cotton tip. Cottoning the coils is a fine balance between too little cotton and too much. You get to little and you will get dry hits like crazy because the coil will heat all the juice out before it can get more wicked in. You get to much cotton and it will choke out the coil and not wick steady either, again, dry hits. I have found that a good "happy medium" on a 3mm ID coil is somewhere between 11 and 13mm depending on the coil build and the atty (tank or RDA). Every one of them is different and you have to find the "happy place" for the atty your working with.

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Listen to what these guys are saying, they speak the truth. No need for me to repeat so I will just summarize what they said.. in addition to wicking, the airflow and proper wattage for the coil will make a world of difference.

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok so i couldnnot find a 1/8 so i went a little smaller 8/9 wraps i havent wicked yet ill save that for tom. Ohm at.6 witcj should be nice. Im going to be ordering a nice coil jig soon btw. But i got the fireing nice and even so on the wicking tom. I wont have a prob with thw ramp up the cool fore is nice and if it does take a sec thats fine

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure how the differences play out but in addition to having a smaller chamber, the .15ohm baby beast coils are likely the x4 which is a quad coil head. The other option is the t8 which is an octuple coil. Despite being a simple coil head there are multiple coils contained inside which may or may not lead to more heating surface inside a smaller chamber vs the dual coils inside a much larger rda chamber.

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not sure how the differences play out but in addition to having a smaller chamber, the .15ohm baby beast coils are likely the x4 which is a quad coil head. The other option is the t8 which is an octuple coil. Despite being a simple coil head there are multiple coils contained inside which may or may not lead to more heating surface inside a smaller chamber vs the dual coils inside a much larger rda chamber.
Now that makes sence to me. Thank you. I just always see how the rdas are supposed to be some of the best vap experience

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now that makes sence to me. Thank you. I just always see how the rdas are supposed to be some of the best vap experience

I think they can be but there's such a wide gamut of possibilities. Also depends on the rda. Airflow, power (coil heat) and shape of the chamber along with which drip tip (wide bore or narrow) can all have an effect. Depending on which rda, which deck, is the top cap squared off or rounded, side airflow, bottom airflow, single coils, claptons, dual coils, quad (or more) depending on the rda/post setup.

Best is also subjective when it involves taste. I think much of it stems from a couple things, overall flexibility for one. Rda's can often support a single coil, dual coils, small micro coils or big fat complex coils. Another is the relatively short trip from chamber to taste buds. Some rda's have a really short cap which means the vapor is coming off the coils and directly to the mouth with little to no chimney or distance where the vape might get muted. It may take some playing around with it to get it where you like it best.

Being fairly inexperienced compared to several other members here who have been vaping for years, I'm willing to bet I could throw a build together on their rda they're used to, have it be a safe build in terms of resistance, coils glowing properly, wicked decent to prevent dry hits - and I could still make their favorite vape taste like shit. Just because of the diameter of the coils being different, position to the airflow etc.

From playing around with my avocado which is basically like an rda on the upper portion, changing power and airflow can make a difference. Running high heat will require more wide open airflow to prevent wick burning and keep the vape comfortably cool enough. Have you tried turning the power down a little and reducing the airflow? There's a happy medium that can be struck where less airflow to vapor ratio can intensify the flavor but not reduced so much that you scald your mouth. Wide open airflow can dilute the vapor and wash out the flavor some unless the heat's turned up. I should mention I'm not using the factory drip tip that came with the avocado, it's a big wide bore more similar to the chuff cap that came with that royal hunter. I used the 510 reducer and a 510 drip tip. Not saying that's your solution but just some variables to consider.

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I think they can be but there's such a wide gamut of possibilities. Also depends on the rda. Airflow, power (coil heat) and shape of the chamber along with which drip tip (wide bore or narrow) can all have an effect. Depending on which rda, which deck, is the top cap squared off or rounded, side airflow, bottom airflow, single coils, claptons, dual coils, quad (or more) depending on the rda/post setup.

Best is also subjective when it involves taste. I think much of it stems from a couple things, overall flexibility for one. Rda's can often support a single coil, dual coils, small micro coils or big fat complex coils. Another is the relatively short trip from chamber to taste buds. Some rda's have a really short cap which means the vapor is coming off the coils and directly to the mouth with little to no chimney or distance where the vape might get muted. It may take some playing around with it to get it where you like it best.

Being fairly inexperienced compared to several other members here who have been vaping for years, I'm willing to bet I could throw a build together on their rda they're used to, have it be a safe build in terms of resistance, coils glowing properly, wicked decent to prevent dry hits - and I could still make their favorite vape taste like shit. Just because of the diameter of the coils being different, position to the airflow etc.

From playing around with my avocado which is basically like an rda on the upper portion, changing power and airflow can make a difference. Running high heat will require more wide open airflow to prevent wick burning and keep the vape comfortably cool enough. Have you tried turning the power down a little and reducing the airflow? There's a happy medium that can be struck where less airflow to vapor ratio can intensify the flavor but not reduced so much that you scald your mouth. Wide open airflow can dilute the vapor and wash out the flavor some unless the heat's turned up. I should mention I'm not using the factory drip tip that came with the avocado, it's a big wide bore more similar to the chuff cap that came with that royal hunter. I used the 510 reducer and a 510 drip tip. Not saying that's your solution but just some variables to consider.
Yhank you for this u appreciate it really. I am not willing to give up on yhe royal hunter just yet so i will def be trying other builds out. I havent been able to test the last one witch is not the twisted wire at .6 dual coil build i will tonight tho when im off

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
OMFG I GOT IT THANKS TO ALL U GUYS. tbh i never really studied wicking. I always thought buildibg the xoild and learning the laws would be the hardest thing about rdas. Man let me tell you i was wrong. Well first off i went with reg wire not twisted. I got 8 wraps dauls clocking in at .5 and fuck was i using way to much cotten like 75 precent to much. My royal hunter is now enjoyable. I think i even got a nic buz from it. Thabk you @Synphul @PhantomOp thank you all you guys i love this community

VU Sponsors