1. UP FOR A NEW CHALLENGE? CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT

Why is my cotton always snapping in the middle after about a day of usage?

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by EquivalentExchange, Apr 16, 2016.

1. EquivalentExchange

EquivalentExchange Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I've been having this ongoing issue where my cotton ALWAYS snaps down the middle after about a day of usage. It never lasts more than a day, and I've been going through cotton like crazy. I'm currently running a 200w Sigelie Fuchai at about 75-80w, on a Velocity Clone RDA, with about 22 gauge wire with I believe 11 wraps. I use Cotton Bacon V2, and have been vaping on 1 Hit Wonder: Muffin Man and FRYD Oreo as they are all I have at the moment but I got a decent order of new flavors from Mech Sauce coming Monday that aren't heavy with Cinnamon. I'm not sure what Im doing wrong at this point. I've checked for hot spots and found none. I always keep my cotton heavily saturated as to not let the coil burn through dry cotton. I also always make sure to apply juice directly on my wraps, so that it seeps into the cotton thats being held there. I've googled a lot of different things, and have found nothing that works at this point. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!!

2. Jimi D

Jimi D Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    How much cotton are you putting in the coil ? If it's light, the cotton will simply burn away.

3. Zamazam

Zamazam Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    More Cotton. It should have a bit of resistance when you move it back and forth in the coil, but not to the point of having to tug hard to move it.

OpoRoot and freemind like this.
  4. EquivalentExchange

Blog Posts:
    How long should it last if I use more cotton? Is changing it once a day normal? I've had to change it twice today so far and I really don't want to waste more cotton than i have to. I feel like I've been told not to use a lot of cotton as it will "choke it out"?

Moueix likes this.
  5. Moueix

Moueix Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's! VU Donator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I had this same problem when I first started using claptons. They have WAY more mass than the 30 or 32ga. I had previously been using. It required a whole new way of vaping. I found that if I kept inhaling for 4 or 5 seconds after letting go of the power, it really cut down on it. 22ga is EXTREMELY heavy wire. It's going to stay hot LONG after you get off that button, and burn your wick away.

6. OpoRoot

OpoRoot Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    sometimes it does happen to me but usually after a week or so,for little experience that i have it always turned out to be not enough cotton in my case, hope that helps some, i`m sure one of the more experienced masters will shed light on the subject...

7. Zamazam

Zamazam Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I use mine till it begins to taste funky, depending on the juice, between 3 and 4 days per wicking. You need to find the happy medium for tightness with the cotton. it needs to be snug, but not tight if you understand the concept. You are burning through your wicks because you don't have enough in the coils.

OpoRoot likes this.
  8. BlowinSmoke

BlowinSmoke New Member

Blog Posts:
    Ive got attys with a single piece of cotton lasting for like 2-3 weeks, but i build allot so usually changing wicks daily.

all depends on how much u vape and what kinds of juice u vape, just change wicks if they start to gunk up.

Ps: Did u tried the scottish roll wicking techniqe already ?

9. mgalyan

mgalyan New Member

Blog Posts:
    +1 for thicker wicks. It should tug on the coil a little, but not bend the coil legs. Look up Scottish Roll on YouTube.

10. EquivalentExchange

Blog Posts:
    Are there any benifits to using 22g wire? I was told it would give me more clouds. All I'm using is Muffin Man and Fryd Oreo and I'm never able to make it 2 days without changing cotton. I'll even have to do it sometimes twice a day. Which is frustrating considering its Cotton Bacon and I feel like
    I'm wasting it. Especially when most people get at least 4 days out of it.

11. mgalyan

mgalyan New Member

Blog Posts:
    If you are using cotton bacon, and changing your wicks daily, you're probably approaching the cost of smoking. 22 gauge wire is just thicker wire with a lower resistance. Lower resistance coils heat up faster because the electricity doesn't have to "fight" as hard to travel through the coil.

Simple single wire coils are going to perform similarly to each other, regardless of the gauge of wire. The only things you can experiment with on standard coils is the wire material, inner diameter of the coil, the gauge of the wire, and the number of wraps.

Moving to more advanced coils (e.g., Clapton, Fused Clapton, Twisted, etc.) will yield more immediate and dramatic effects of vapor production and flavor.

Do you have a camera capable of focusing closely enough to show us your build?

Here's how I built my Goliath yesterday:

[​IMG]

(Dual 5-wrap Tiger coils with a final impedance of 0.16 ohm, wicked with generic organic Japanese cotton pads, @ 71 watts on the Cuboid.)

12. BigKrash

BigKrash New Member

Blog Posts:
    Scottish Roll is not going to help him if he isn't putting enough cotton to begin with. Do as others have suggested, then learn to make the Scottish Rolls because they are a little time consuming. Totally worth it in the end though because you can get 20+ hits before juicing up the cotton again.

inspects likes this.
  13. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I watched another review do the same thing a few days ago, it's true, this method does help considerably.