Become a Patron!

Why it is important to read the forums first!

ajd40

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As with everything I have no patience. I was buying vendor juice and that was getting expensive and some of them taste terrible. So I decided to make my own. So of course, my lack of patience gets the better of me and I place my order and get some Nic, VG and flavors. They are delivered and THEN I start reading the recipe thread. I stumble upon HIC's recipes so of course I find out that I bought the wrong nicotine and for most of his recipes I need more flavors....way more flavors. So now, I have made 6 (15ml) juices and I have spent over $340.00. I better get mixing because if you do the math, that's over $65 per 15 mls of juice. I am not complaining, eventually the juice I make will be cheaper, now that I have all of the correct supplies. I really should read and assemble all of the pertinent info before I dive in.

Lesson learned, hopefully!

ajd40

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought Nic from ecig express and it definitely has that pepper taste. I just purchased the vaporstek so hopefully that taste goes away.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I bought Nic from ecig express and it definitely has that pepper taste. I just purchased the vaporstek so hopefully that taste goes away.
They don't make it so what they have sits till sold, the longer it sits without refrigeration the more the peppery the smell and taste.

ajd40

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My batch has a distinct peppery taste so it must be old. This is my first DIY nicotine so I have nothing to compare it to. I have been reading about the vaporstek as being clean and letting the flavoring through. My diy juices taste good but just have that peppery taste. They would be awesome without it.

ajd40

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wasn't planning on using tobacco flavorings. I'll probably just throw it out.

Mister_Moonshine

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had the same experience with ecx nic. Ordered some with a bunch of flavors for one stop shopping. Later I tried nude nicotine and difference is pretty huge... So much cleaner tasting.

But I definitely agree about sometimes using the cheap stuff with tobacco flavors. Adds a bit of zing

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Don't feel bad about buying the wrong brand of flavors.
Many other brands will make great juices besides FA, well except LA that is:oops:.

ajd40

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't feel bad, I have lots of recipes and lots of flavors so all I need is some good quality NIC and then I can vape myself into oblivion!

sk7175

Member For 4 Years
I've bought nic from nude nicotine, nicotine labs and ecigexpress, among others. I could never tell the difference. I'd love to see some blind testing done. I really wonder what the results would be

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've bought nic from nude nicotine, nicotine labs and ecigexpress, among others. I could never tell the difference. I'd love to see some blind testing done. I really wonder what the results would be
It was done recently over at ECF. There's a long thread there about it!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been using up my old VT NIC and has turned quite dark and it's a bit more harsh but it's still not peppery.

I made the mistake of keeping it in a 230ml bottle and using this for all my mixing.
Way too much exposure to air on a regular basis.

But my next batch I've got split up into smaller 60ml bottles in the freezer.
I'll split the 60ml into 2x30mls when I need more, and return one back to the freezer.
Trying Nude Nicotine next time cause they had a nice Black Friday sale on it.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm going to be the odd man out on this one. And question HOW you're mixing your Nic.

While I know there are inferior brands and vendors out there. I've found that I really only experience a peppery taste when I've failed to follow proper mixing procedures.

Do you mix by weight, or volume? Do you insure your base is thoroughly mixed before you start,to prevent hot spots? What strength are you mixing at?

There are a half dozen reasons for peppery juice. And bad Nic is not always the reason why.

ajd40

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's definitely the nicotine. I mixed up juice without it and the pepper taste is gone.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECX nic is Nicselect. Nicotine River is also Nicselect. Nicotine River generally has very good reviews by people that have used nic from different vendors. ECX almost always gets bad reviews on the forums. It is the same nic. Figure that one out. The difference is more likely to be oxidation, base(PG/VG) or more likely that people have read that one is bad and one is good. This is a common problem with subjective taste like wine, vodka or even expensive vs cheap cake. For instance, a read through the thread that @AmandaD mentioned you can find comparisons of VT nic to Chemnovatic nic before people knew they were the same. VT was usually considered to be better than Chemnovatic. Again, same nic.

In the blind taste test in that thread, VT came in last. 4th out of four nics tested. This link is to a random spot in that thread. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/nicotine-comparisons.298547/page-118

The last two or three complaints of harsh or peppery juice that I've responded to lately on the forum were solved by shaking the shit out of their VG based nic. They were getting hot spots.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use ecx vg base nic and have no complaints on it. It does what i need it to do. However, its the only nic ive ever used, so it could be biased ignorance on my part.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use ecx vg base nic and have no complaints on it. It does what i need it to do. However, its the only nic ive ever used, so it could be biased ignorance on my part.

A while back, 15 months or so, Alchem(the extractor) had a quality control problem and ECX(and others) got stuck with bad nic. That problem has been corrected some months back. But forum members still continue to compare to that bad batch without having used the nic they sell now. I'm sure your nic is good.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A while back, 15 months or so, Alchem(the extractor) had a quality control problem and ECX(and others) got stuck with bad nic. That problem has been corrected some months back. But forum members still continue to compare to that bad batch without having used the nic they sell now. I'm sure your nic is good.
What effects hailed from this bad batch? Bad taste?

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And I am a picky taster so anything I say about peppery taste needs to taken with a grain of salt LOL. I would never ever use a peppery tasting nic in my all day vapes - which happen to be tobaccos hahahaha.:D

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So far my ecx nic has been fine. 100mg base nic.

Question...what were your recipies/mixes?

Maybe your mixes have too much flavor or other issues. We can all attest to it...you will have some bad mixes at the beginning. Enough of them you will be very very frustrated. With practice and reading you will have your first yay moment. Most will say diy ejuice is easy and fun, but most won't admit to dumping out 5-15 15ml bottles at the start. I did, and with help I now sit a 1 for 20 (it was a bad cream Brule experiment). Band yes some of my first mixes were over flavored causing a peper/icky flavor and some flavors I found just don't work.

So again, give us an example of one of your mixes.

My worst was 10% cherry FA and 10% whip cream. Don't ask me why I did it other than for giggles but it sure didn't work. And I have subsequently found out that cherry FA is never going to work for me even at 1-2%

VU Sponsors