Why Only Even Gauges?

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just curious as to why most builds are made with even gauge wire. Is it because most vendors sell even gauges, but not odd gauges? Or is that what they sell because that's what we use most?

Or is it because having both even and odd gauges just too damn much wire to keep around?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lightning vapes sells odd size kanthal. Maybe as Ni, Ti & SS become more popular they will start to stock odds for those. That would be good too because theres a huge resistance difference between 26g and 28g Ni, a 27g would be nice.

I have 24 through 30 kanthal in every step, just makes fine tuning a build easier. Like if you want a 6 wrap 2.5mm dual coil to come in at 0.4, you can do it. If you didn't have the 25g wire you may need 8 wraps with 24g... as an example.

Last edited:

BlowinSmoke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had some 25g kanthal laying around didnt really used it just twisted the whole spool xD

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha, it's funny that you mention this. A few days ago, it occurred to me that I've never tried odd gauges before, so I snagged some 21, 23, and 25 gauge kanthal with my last juice order from LV.

I'm assuming they're really not all that different from even gauges. They probably just have slightly different sweet spots. I'm mostly just curious to see where those sweet spots are, as that's how I tend to decide what gauge of wire to use for any given build.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I just did my first build with the 23g kanthal on a Wotofo Lush. I did the same dual 24g build that I usually like for this atty, only I swapped it for 23g. It's a dual 6-wrap, 2.5mm build. Clocks in at .19 ohms. It ramps-up just a tad slower, but there's a huge difference in the amount of flavor (the profile is similar to the 24's, there's just much more of it.) It's also a good bit warmer. I'm quite enjoying it on my mech. It gives me a little more power and surface-area than 24g, but it's not as low or slow as 22g.

It also vapes pretty nicely at 70w on my Sig 150. It's a bit cooler than the same build done with 24g is, but the vapor production and flavor are a notch higher.

I can see this replacing my old go-to, the aforementioned dual 24g. I wouldn't say that I'm super impressed with it, but I think I'm going to eventually want more than the 50ft I have now. If I had to pick one over the other for standard, mid-high-powered builds, I'd go with the 23g by a slim margin.

VU Sponsors