Become a Patron!

Why patience is important

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, tonight has been an eye opener. I mixed my first juices on Dec 13. I imagine like most people, I was very impatient. I'd test them at first, wait a day or two, do it again. I put some in a crockpot, some I breathed, others I didn't. Generally, I was disappointed with damn near every recipe I made, all of which were someone else's highly rated recipe.

I found Wayne Walker's site a couple of weeks ago. I think he does a great job in explaining flavors and how they taste, as well as how we perceive them. HIC does the same, both here and in his FA notes, which are invaluable to new DIYers. I realized I didn't have the experience nor the vocabulary to describe what I was tasting. Initially, I thought damn near everything tasted like dirty gym socks (how do we know what they taste like). I decided that Vanilla Bean Ice Cream was horrible because I do taste pepper. It's a terrible, repelling taste to me. I also decided that Bavarian Cream was not much better. Such a shame considering how many recipes use those two. On the advice of HIC, I subbed Vienna Cream for the Bavarian Cream and it works just fine for me (even though it smells like skunk piss).

Back to the main point, I was mixing away and it took two weeks before I found 3 recipes that worked for me. But I was stockpiling bottles of juice, 5, 10, 20 and 30 ml. I didn't throw anything away, I just made my notes (this sucks!) and put it away. Well, I have over a liter of juice sitting in the closet now, including 360 ml of my 3 ADVs.

So tonight I pulled out a bunch of them from 3 or more weeks ago. Some of them I thought were a waste to have made. Wow! I'm blown away at the transformation for some of them. As you can guess, they all contain some sort of cream. Better still, I'm dripping one right now made with BC, and I like it. I'm so happily surprised.

I surmise that two things are at work here. The first is the obvious necessity of giving juices the time to come together, to age, mature, ripen, whatever the hell we want to call it. The second, and maybe more important, factor is I probably needed time to develop my palate. The knowledge of flavors and taste I've recently gained, along with the constant exposure, has transformed my senses.

I've got new base and flavors on the way. I'm going to ensure that everything I make will be able to sit at least 2 months if it has cream in it (I do love VCv1). I'll probably end up with enough juice to last until the apocalypse, but I don't care. I just want it to taste good and be a pleasure to vape. The days of vaping sub-par juice have come to an end.

What an interesting journey this has been. I owe a debt to those who have shared a lot on these boards. This is my go to place when I want some info.

Thanks, all.

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For Bavarian creame I use dx Bavarian cream by tfa, was a staple in alot of my original recipes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not very good at waiting. I mix a juice and want it now. I build a coil and rip out whatever I had in an rda and put the new one in. I have made a few juices that are sitting right now just because I didn't like them at first. We will see how they turn out. This is the main reason I love capella vanilla custard. 1.5% nic, 3% flavor, fill with VG, shake'n'vape.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, tonight has been an eye opener. I mixed my first juices on Dec 13. I imagine like most people, I was very impatient. I'd test them at first, wait a day or two, do it again. I put some in a crockpot, some I breathed, others I didn't. Generally, I was disappointed with damn near every recipe I made, all of which were someone else's highly rated recipe.

I found Wayne Walker's site a couple of weeks ago. I think he does a great job in explaining flavors and how they taste, as well as how we perceive them. HIC does the same, both here and in his FA notes, which are invaluable to new DIYers. I realized I didn't have the experience nor the vocabulary to describe what I was tasting. Initially, I thought damn near everything tasted like dirty gym socks (how do we know what they taste like). I decided that Vanilla Bean Ice Cream was horrible because I do taste pepper. It's a terrible, repelling taste to me. I also decided that Bavarian Cream was not much better. Such a shame considering how many recipes use those two. On the advice of HIC, I subbed Vienna Cream for the Bavarian Cream and it works just fine for me (even though it smells like skunk piss).

Back to the main point, I was mixing away and it took two weeks before I found 3 recipes that worked for me. But I was stockpiling bottles of juice, 5, 10, 20 and 30 ml. I didn't throw anything away, I just made my notes (this sucks!) and put it away. Well, I have over a liter of juice sitting in the closet now, including 360 ml of my 3 ADVs.

So tonight I pulled out a bunch of them from 3 or more weeks ago. Some of them I thought were a waste to have made. Wow! I'm blown away at the transformation for some of them. As you can guess, they all contain some sort of cream. Better still, I'm dripping one right now made with BC, and I like it. I'm so happily surprised.

I surmise that two things are at work here. The first is the obvious necessity of giving juices the time to come together, to age, mature, ripen, whatever the hell we want to call it. The second, and maybe more important, factor is I probably needed time to develop my palate. The knowledge of flavors and taste I've recently gained, along with the constant exposure, has transformed my senses.

I've got new base and flavors on the way. I'm going to ensure that everything I make will be able to sit at least 2 months if it has cream in it (I do love VCv1). I'll probably end up with enough juice to last until the apocalypse, but I don't care. I just want it to taste good and be a pleasure to vape. The days of vaping sub-par juice have come to an end.

What an interesting journey this has been. I owe a debt to those who have shared a lot on these boards. This is my go to place when I want some info.

Thanks, all.

Once I really nailed a few recipes, I began making 200 mls at a time. When I crack one open, I make a new one so that when the first 200 mls runs out, a properly steeped bottle is ready to takes its place

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
This is good to know. I'll be doing DIY from now on since I'm spending $35 + a week on liquid from my B&M and plan to let all my concoctions steep for at least a month. I'm just waiting on my glass dropper bottles to arrive before I start mixing 100mL at a time. So far I've got a "pound it" clone ( lemon pound cake ), berry crunch, pancake with vanilla bean ice cream and fruit circles with milk ready to mix.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once I really nailed a few recipes, I began making 200 mls at a time. When I crack one open, I make a new one so that when the first 200 mls runs out, a properly steeped bottle is ready to takes its place

Yea, that's my goal as well. I want 5-6 recipes that are ADVs and I'll mix once a month. I find mixing to be enjoyable, yet time consuming. I also get a kick from opening the closet and looking at all the juice sitting there, lol.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yea, that's my goal as well. I want 5-6 recipes that are ADVs and I'll mix once a month. I find mixing to be enjoyable, yet time consuming. I also get a kick from opening the closet and looking at all the juice sitting there, lol.

Yeah, I have eight solid recipes and mix about once a month, and usually three or four small batches in the can. By the time I get tired of on recipe, there is usually another ready to take it's place.

I rarely have less than six rigs in rotation daily, all with different juices.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I have eight solid recipes and mix about once a month, and usually three or four small batches in the can. By the time I get tired of on recipe, there is usually another ready to take it's place.

P.S. It took me almost a year to perfect this system to finally never run out of my favorites, lol

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For Bavarian creame I use dx Bavarian cream by tfa, was a staple in alot of my original recipes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That DX version seems way less "fussy" about steeping IMO.
Not that it would hurt anything, but maybe better for us "impatient ones".
Although I had to use a bit more of it to get the taste to show up.
Had to do the same for the DX Sweet Cream also.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I guess I'm schizophrenic, I have 20 devices in rotation with different juices...:crazy: I have more than a liter of mixed juice in my closet... My wife just shakes her head...

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I guess I'm schizophrenic, I have 20 devices in rotation with different juices...:crazy: I have more than a liter of mixed juice in my closet... My wife just shakes her head...

Six is my bare minimum for rotation at the same time - I have over 20 built with batteries charged on my dresser and many more stashed, lol

No idea exactly how much DIY juice steeping, but well over 2000 ml, that isn't counting what I have out to actually vape :cloud:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really detested the wait time when ordering juice. I got it from the US or Europe and it takes 10-20 days for shipping, then any steeping time. On top of that, I found very few commercial juices that I liked. DIY saves me time, money, disappointment, and anxiety. I, also, want to have 1-2 liters of ADVs sitting in the closet at all times. Considering the cost, if some of it goes bad, it's not a problem.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
1 liter would last me until September-October. Vaping that much of one flavor would make me sick of it.
I hear you on that, my made up stock is all over the place flavor wise. Bakeries, fruits, custards, tobaccos, you name a category, I probably have some mixed up.

When I travel for work, I bring 5 squonkers with me, with different flavors in them. For me that is travelling light...:crazy::giggle:

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have multiple devices but for whatever reason, at any given moment I'm typically only using one... I'm weird.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm not very good at waiting. I mix a juice and want it now. I build a coil and rip out whatever I had in an rda and put the new one in. I have made a few juices that are sitting right now just because I didn't like them at first. We will see how they turn out. This is the main reason I love capella vanilla custard. 1.5% nic, 3% flavor, fill with VG, shake'n'vape.

I'm the same, I refuse to wait to vape something I mix... so I just use enough flavoring that I don't need to wait, or at least, not very long. That's why when I started mixing my strawberry & cream, I was using 31% flavoring -- no waiting at all, even with a good percentage of DX bavarian cream in it.

I've been vaping that for over 2 yrs now, so I have a good idea of how much I need for a given period, so I've been able to come down on the flavoring a little (now it's roughly 26%) thx to mixing a little in advance of running out of the last batch I mixed -- I mix 55ml at a time, which lasts about a week-ish, sometimes close to 10 days, so when it's about 1/2 to 2/3 gone, I mix a new bottle of 55ml, so it can sit for a few days before I start vaping it. A few days is all the waiting I can handle -- if I need to wait any longer, I will have totally forgotten why I wanted to vape that flavor in the first place.

Andria

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My Bavarian Cream recipes have come out good... so far... regular amount of flavoring (like 10%), doesn't smell like piss, not steeped... Bear in mind the BC is mixed with other flavors, perhaps masking whatever others have found abhorrent.

I've been vaping for a year and a half, and the company I use for DIY is what I used for pre-mixed. Maybe that's the reason - I'm accustomed to their brand of stuff... whatever it is :).

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My Bavarian Cream recipes have come out good... so far... regular amount of flavoring (like 10%), doesn't smell like piss, not steeped... Bear in mind the BC is mixed with other flavors, perhaps masking whatever others have found abhorrent.

I've been vaping for a year and a half, and the company I use for DIY is what I used for pre-mixed. Maybe that's the reason - I'm accustomed to their brand of stuff... whatever it is :).

I've always used TFA DX (diketone-free) Bavarian Cream; it really shouldn't be used at more than 6%, maybe 6.5% *tops*, or that butyric acid flavor comes thru too clearly. I'd probably love the regular bavarian, but I just feel safer, using only DX-type flavors. Even if there is likely no reason to feel more or less safe with either.

Andria

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've always used TFA DX (diketone-free) Bavarian Cream; it really shouldn't be used at more than 6%, maybe 6.5% *tops*, or that butyric acid flavor comes thru too clearly. I'd probably love the regular bavarian, but I just feel safer, using only DX-type flavors. Even if there is likely no reason to feel more or less safe with either.

Andria

Like I said, it's always part of a mix, so I don't think I have anything that's more than 3 or 4% BC. I've got a bananas and cream going (I call it "implosion"), and a coffee/cream/mocha thing that's equally delicious.

VU Sponsors