Become a Patron!

Why "starter" kits? why not buy the ultimate kit from the start?

What's the ultimate vv/vw/tc kit?

It's for mother-in-law who wants to switch to vaping from smoking 20 raffles a day

I've read nitrobex' excellent "what is the best for me starting" sticky thread in this forum section, but it jumps from vv/vw to mech devices without mentioning temperature control

is there any reason not to start out using something based on the dna 200?

what's the best dna 200 based device out there?

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have been vaping for 2 yrs or so and still only use "starter" type devices, and it satisfies me just fine. Personally I have no need for temp control or anything fancy, and I consider myself a chain vaper for the most part. The thing to remember is vaping is different for everyone, some folks have to have the hottest new mod or tank, some prefer subohm, some prefer just to vape with a style similar to smoking cigarettes. The problem I see with full throttle is buying something more than you'll ever use, and when it comes to tanks buying something u end up not liking. Mods have a lot more room to play with than tanks, and yes u can get a DNA 200 and run it with a Nautilus tank for example if u so choose. Too many options out there to narrow it down to just one do it all device, especially with tanks or drippers.
All I will say on TC as I have never used it is that some of the YouTube reviewers are now starting to not like to use it as much.
For my $, if u have to have TC go with an evic vtc mini, reasonably priced, comes with a pretty good tank, and folks are saying it does TC rather well. You can get pretty much any tank u wish, that however is an entirely different animal.
I guess to answer your ? About why starter kits. For me it's simple, a simple device for the new person to learn and see where they want to go. For my vaping needs, a kbox mini and an ijust 2 and a couple simple inexpensive subohm tanks suits me just fine.
IF you truly must go all out, wismec realoux (sp?) Tfv4, aromamizer rta and a dotmod petri, or so the reviewers say.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
it jumps from vv/vw to mech devices without mentioning temperature control
TC wasn't really a thing at that time. Clearly times have changed, LOL.

As far as not jumping in full throttle, full throttle isn't for everyone. I've been vaping for a bit over 2 years now. I started out with an eGo battery and was quite happy with it for quite a while. I did eventually move into a bit more power, but I still vape low wattage, I don't sub-ohm, but I do build my own coils to my own preference. DIY became my thing, but I do have interest in rebuildable tanks and box mods, just not MOAR POWER!! LOL. Everyone has a different style of vaping, so I don't usually recommend that someone new jump right in full boar, until they get a feel for what they like in a vape.

Welcome to VU, btw.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
3 completely different tanks. Tfv4 is a sub ohm tank, aromamizer is an rta, and the petri is an rda. Different styles of vaping and different building and wicking styles. Those are pretty much the 3 tank "styles"

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's affordability vs bells and whistles. A DNA 200 is overkill for your MiL. The Evic VT Mini or a D2 with a Kanger Subtank Mini will fit the bill and will be useable in VV/VW/TC modes.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Opinion:
I would never buy a first-timer a box mod, especially a DNA 200. 1) Too much power, 2) Too many settings, 3) Too bulky, 4) Too expensive.

I get the feeling that vaping is one of those things where some advanced users forget what it's like to be a normal human. Sure, newer users might graduate to bigger systems eventually, but there's no need to force it on them early. Plus, normal humans are always going to need something portable, with little-to-no DIY necessary.

Even if I had free high-end systems to give away, I'd still buy something smaller/easier for the gift box (eGo and mini tank, maybe?). I'd even add a cigalike, just for laughs.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am in favor of starting out simple to make sure that vaping is for you before pulling out your credit card to get the really top of the line stuff.

That way you have not lost much if you can't make the change.

Sure, I get the point about not investing too much, but I'm worried that by giving her some low end kit, that she may not make the switch because she won't get enough of a hit from it - she's a fairly heavy smoker, smoking 20 raffles a day

"They are probably one of the strongest cigarettes you can buy in the UK at 1.1mg of nicotine and 12mg tar.They have a very smooth taste and don't leave your throat dry like cheaper brands.Every drag is pure pleasure, they do not burn too quickly and maintain thier taste to the end.Obviously with so much nicotine, they do give a very satisfying smoke, especially first thing in the morning. "

surely if I show her the best you can get from vaping, it's the best chance of converting?

the only things that need adjusting are the voltage and the airflow, right? so its only really 2x settings to play with?

Besides, she's already spending £70/week on cigarettes..

She's not that mobile due to a hip problem, so doesn't need a very portable solution

I guess a key question is whether heavy smokers switch straight to being heavy vapers, or whether they slowly ramp up their vaping?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
As someone that started out using an eGo and Protank 2, smoked 1.5 packs a day for 30 years, I'd be very comfortable in recommending the eVic VTC Mini and a Subtank Nano. She can easily vape this mouth to lung comfortably at 1.2 ohms and lower watts. THEN, if she decides it's not fitting the bill, all she would have to do is get a lower ohm coil head (which it comes with) and turn up the watts a bit on the mod, and could take it to direct lung hitting if she felt the need. It's smaller than a pack of cigs and goes up to 75 watts. Way more power than I personally need, but also, plenty of power for most of the people that have them.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The issue I've found with converting smokers is lung hitting is way too much for most people. My mom who sorta vapes tried my subohm setup and immediately was turned off, way too much for her. Subtank mini or ego one tank sounds like a great starting point, I've never used either but being able to mouth to lung with the option of going subohm is a perfect place to start.

jerri

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been vaping for 2 yrs or so and still only use "starter" type devices, and it satisfies me just fine. Personally I have no need for temp control or anything fancy, and I consider myself a chain vaper for the most part. The thing to remember is vaping is different for everyone, some folks have to have the hottest new mod or tank, some prefer subohm, some prefer just to vape with a style similar to smoking cigarettes. The problem I see with full throttle is buying something more than you'll ever use, and when it comes to tanks buying something u end up not liking. Mods have a lot more room to play with than tanks, and yes u can get a DNA 200 and run it with a Nautilus tank for example if u so choose. Too many options out there to narrow it down to just one do it all device, especially with tanks or drippers.
All I will say on TC as I have never used it is that some of the YouTube reviewers are now starting to not like to use it as much.
For my $, if u have to have TC go with an evic vtc mini, reasonably priced, comes with a pretty good tank, and folks are saying it does TC rather well. You can get pretty much any tank u wish, that however is an entirely different animal.
I guess to answer your ? About why starter kits. For me it's simple, a simple device for the new person to learn and see where they want to go. For my vaping needs, a kbox mini and an ijust 2 and a couple simple inexpensive subohm tanks suits me just fine.
IF you truly must go all out, wismec realoux (sp?) Tfv4, aromamizer rta and a dotmod petri, or so the reviewers say.

jerri

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can you please explain all the intialing things u are talking about. Those confused me. The mini u was talking about, is that like the eleaf mini istick?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't consider high power and janky temp. control to be the ultimate or high end...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I switched using an ego style setup (from Halo). This was after smoking for 40 years a pack a day! I wouldn't even have considered a box mod with a subohm tank - I wanted it to look more like a cigarette and I thought I wanted it to taste like tobacco (I changed my mind after the first month). All my friends who smoked this long felt the same way and all started with a similar style setup.

Hottvapz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started with an evod with a protank 2. Vaped that for 2 months then went to a vamo v3 with a protank 3. Then it just went up from there. Now I have 4 mods and rdas and rtas going at one time.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sure, I get the point about not investing too much, but I'm worried that by giving her some low end kit, that she may not make the switch because she won't get enough of a hit from it - she's a fairly heavy smoker, smoking 20 raffles a day

"They are probably one of the strongest cigarettes you can buy in the UK at 1.1mg of nicotine and 12mg tar.They have a very smooth taste and don't leave your throat dry like cheaper brands.Every drag is pure pleasure, they do not burn too quickly and maintain thier taste to the end.Obviously with so much nicotine, they do give a very satisfying smoke, especially first thing in the morning. "

surely if I show her the best you can get from vaping, it's the best chance of converting?

the only things that need adjusting are the voltage and the airflow, right? so its only really 2x settings to play with?

Besides, she's already spending £70/week on cigarettes..

She's not that mobile due to a hip problem, so doesn't need a very portable solution

I guess a key question is whether heavy smokers switch straight to being heavy vapers, or whether they slowly ramp up their vaping?

Dude! I was a 3 pack a day smoker. I have 4 boxes and 6 tanks.

My Kanger and Evic mini is really good IMHO.

Trust me, your MIL isn't going to crank 150 watts on a TFV4 anytime soon. And she isn't going to crank 30 watts on an Evic mini with a Kanger sub mini this year.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Again it comes down to whether a person wants to mtl or direct inhale. Mtl with 1.0+ ohm coils/tight airflow then raise your nic level in the juice to 12/18/24, or sub ohm, then drop nic level to 3/6. I think a satisfying vape is more important than a top of the line device. You can get that with some research and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg...

Reactions: Zr0

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
As someone that started out using an eGo and Protank 2, smoked 1.5 packs a day for 30 years, I'd be very comfortable in recommending the eVic VTC Mini and a Subtank Nano. She can easily vape this mouth to lung comfortably at 1.2 ohms and lower watts. THEN, if she decides it's not fitting the bill, all she would have to do is get a lower ohm coil head (which it comes with) and turn up the watts a bit on the mod, and could take it to direct lung hitting if she felt the need. It's smaller than a pack of cigs and goes up to 75 watts. Way more power than I personally need, but also, plenty of power for most of the people that have them.
VTC Mini and Subtank Nano are a great little setup, amazing bang for the buck IMO and a great suggestion. I have been using that exact setup for my out and about and even most of my days at home for a little bit, though I do use the .5 ohm coils @30 watts.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can you please explain all the intialing things u are talking about. Those confused me. The mini u was talking about, is that like the eleaf mini istick?

It's easy to get confused, and everyone else in the thread explains it way better than I can. The mini I was referring to was the joyetech evic vtc mini.

VU Sponsors