Become a Patron!

Why tc?

CHIEFTANG

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why should I dabble in temp control when wattage variation feels good enough. Most of the builders I idolize don't build for temp control so what is the deal and why should I try it? I feel like it's just something that is possible, so people do it just because. Is it personal preference or is there something I'm missing out on?

Last edited:

no12judge

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if i may, the temp control is a feature that allows you to modify your equipment. something to "play with". I've used it for other liquids/oils. what i can say that tc did for me..... it made my vape easy to use for ppl who don't vape like i do. my friends don't vape, but when they see me blowing clouds with a sweet scent.... they're all over it. tc makes it so that my friends don't ever get a dry, burned, or nasty hit. you can't just hit the fire button on a sub-ohm tank with high powered batteries in power mode and not have that sucker heat up. temp control eliminates the heat up for my non vaping friends.
basically thats it for me, tc is a show-off feature. i certainly don't need it, but it does have its benefits. and because i figured out how to use it with trial and error, it became just another option with variables.
try it, find out. tons of help everywhere in case there are issues.

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure CHIEFTANG, if you just love that hot burnt taste, then why bother with TC? But some of us don't like our juices to caramelize, or dry hits, or burning taste of flaming cotton. But if you are okay with all of this, sure why bother with TC.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sure CHIEFTANG, if you just love that hot burnt taste, then why bother with TC? But some of us don't like our juices to caramelize, or dry hits, or burning taste of flaming cotton. But if you are okay with all of this, sure why bother with TC.
Strange, I don't really have those issues...

I only see one benefit to TC for those that know how to fine tune their vape. That is you can reduce or even eliminate any noticeable ramp up. You can set a build that in standard wattage may take half a second to start producing vapor at say 70w but ends with dry hits at higher wattage, and take that into TC and toss it up to say 90w and get that production much sooner, however then the tail end of your vape gets cut down. Potential benefits, but I think it's pretty unnecessary.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
TC wasn't for me. Just didn't enjoy the taste no matter how I set it. Never had problems with dry hits. The way tanks are designed today, there is no point for TC anymore. If I want faster ramp up time. I'll use nichrome :)

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I personally don't like it much. I prefer regular wattage mode. Actually, I thought TC was nasty when Ni wire was all there was available, but now I use SS wire, it works just fine. I don't have any real need for it, but it is handy when dripping as you usually can't see the wicks (or juice level) in a dripper, and it helps prevent dry hits. Bottom line: if you don't want to TC, don't.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you can build well, you don't get dry hits...let alone any other malfunctions...and TC doesn't have any benefit to you. I can see why someone using a premade tank/coils setup would use it but not people that build. That's probably why you don't see 'builders' making stuff for TC, it is of no interest to them.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Strange, I don't really have those issues...
Normal wattage mode, the wattage stays the same, but the temperature keeps increasing. As the longer you keep the fire button down, the hotter the vape gets. Worse is when you start to chain vape, not only does it get hotter, but it gets really hot. If you don't start adjusting the wattage down manually, things will start to burn.

Also if you switch between MTL and DTL a lot. There is no need to keep changing the settings. As TC doesn't care about the changing airflow, it just cares about keeping the temperature the same. And that is exactly what you want.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I like a hotter vape than what any tc can provide as of now, rendering it useless to me.
Also, i vape at 100+ watts in dripper and 90watts on an rta and havent experienced a dry hit in a really really long time, maybe even more than a year.
You can taste when flavor starts to get muted that youre pushing it and if you got ot wicked properly with the right airflow you can take long long looong hits at those watts with no dry hits.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup... but I still don't have those issues :p, I have my builds tuned to perform just fine for my vaping habits.
Really? So you can build for both MTL and DTL vaping and either 1 second hits or 15 second hits without changing any settings can you?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really? So you can build for both MTL and DTL vaping and either 1 second hits or 15 second hits without changing any settings can you?
I don't take 15s hits... Again, "I have my builds tuned to perform just fine for my vaping habits.", even when I MTL I'm not breaking 10s, and yes I actually use the same build on my "travel vape" to MTL and DL with Kanthal and no TC. ;)

You may have found uses, and that's great. But, if the question is "what's the point of TC if I can vape how I want without issues" well the answer is that there is no real point.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like a hotter vape than what any tc can provide as of now, rendering it useless to me.
Also, i vape at 100+ watts in dripper and 90watts on an rta and havent experienced a dry hit in a really really long time, maybe even more than a year.
You can taste when flavor starts to get muted that youre pushing it and if you got ot wicked properly with the right airflow you can take long long looong hits at those watts with no dry hits.
Sure if you vape exactly the same every time. But how are you going to learn anything if you only know one way to do it?

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't take 15s hits... Again, "I have my builds tuned to perform just fine for my vaping habits.", even when I MTL I'm not breaking 10s, and yes I actually use the same build on my "travel vape" to MTL and DL with Kanthal and no TC. ;)

You may have found uses, and that's great. But, if the question is "what's the point of TC if I can vape how I want without issues" well the answer is that there is no real point.
I can vape without TC too, I have done it for years. But it still doesn't beat TC though. Sure you can boil water and make coffee, but it isn't the same if you get the water just to the right temperature and make it that way. Same with your vape.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can vape without TC too, I have done it for years. But it still doesn't beat TC though. Sure you can boil water and make coffee, but it isn't the same if you get the water just to the right temperature and make it that way. Same with your vape.
My experience with TC is that either I'm not making use of it (setting the temperature cap high enough that it doesn't kick in) or it's ruining my experience, I like that ramping heat. Granted I hear you can set a curve on the escribe or whatever it's called for DNA temp control, so maybe that'd work, but for general TC, it just seems like a governor in a car.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sure if you vape exactly the same every time. But how are you going to learn anything if you only know one way to do it?
My builds no matter what they are usually land me in the .08 to .17 zone, for series builds i usually run .3 to .4
Its rare for them to land outside that range, dont know why but thats how it is.
Whats kills the experience for me in tc is when the power gets tuned down mid flight, usually just when its supposed to get good.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My experience with TC is that either I'm not making use of it (setting the temperature cap high enough that it doesn't kick in) or it's ruining my experience, I like that ramping heat. Granted I hear you can set a curve on the escribe or whatever it's called for DNA temp control, so maybe that'd work, but for general TC, it just seems like a governor in a car.
Well that explains it. You don't know how to use TC. Thus it makes sense you like adjusting wattage alone. People who understands it, makes it work for them and not the other way around.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My builds no matter what they are usually land me in the .08 to .17 zone, for series builds i usually run .3 to .4
Its rare for them to land outside that range, dont know why but thats how it is.
Whats kills the experience for me in tc is when the power gets tuned down mid flight, usually just when its supposed to get good.
The power is supposed to cut back if you have it set right because it is up too high to instantly heat up the coil in a thousand of a second. This is called instant ramp up time. If it doesn't cut back, it will be up to two thousand degrees in two seconds. Learn how to use it first man. Any knuckle dragger can use wattage only, that takes no brains at all.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The power is supposed to cut back if you have it set right because it is up too high to instantly heat up the coil in a thousand of a second. This is called instant ramp up time. If it doesn't cut back, it will be up to two thousand degrees in two seconds. Learn how to use it first man. Any knuckle dragger can use wattage only, that takes no brains at all.
Why does it bother you that i dislike your prefered vape style.
I like dragging knuckles, i dislike the thing cutting off the power mid hit. Keep it mind i had it set to 600 degrees and vape was cool, which i dislike.
Edit: im not that big into wattage mode vaping either, i actually prefer the vape a mech mod provides, which is probably why my builds are always landing me in the same zone.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any knuckle dragger can use wattage only, that takes no brains at all.

:huh:

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Actually vaping, for me, hasnt changed much in like 3 years.... ive learned some new building techniques which i still practice, airflow is more plentiful than it was. We used to have to drill out holes in drippers to get desired effect. I got an rdna40 just to try tc, it sucked, got a dna200 to check out the lipo, which i did like. Had a friend build tc on the petri for me, it sucked.... those are the only 2 regulated devices i own. Oh and a hexohm v2.
I hadnt even owned a tank since the atlantis, which sucked, until last night... i guess i am a caveman. A vaping caveman.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually vaping, for me, hasnt changed much in like 3 years.... ive learned some new building techniques which i still practice, airflow is more plentiful than it was. We used to have to drill out holes in drippers to get desired effect. I got an rdna40 just to try tc, it sucked, got a dna200 to check out the lipo, which i did like. Had a friend build tc on the petri for me, it sucked.... those are the only 2 regulated devices i own. Oh and a hexohm v2.
Look... the idea of TC is really simple. Too low of temperature you get a cold vape, low flavor, and low vapor. Too high of temperature and you get hot vapor, burnt taste, and restricting vapor production. Vaping is a lot like cooking. Like if you fry an egg in the pan and the pan is 450°F, you are going to instantly burn your egg. That sucks.

Same with vaping. Different VG/PG/nic/flavoring works best at a given temperature. Not all juices works the best at the same temperature. And say your favorite juice works best at 510°F. Well you set it for 510°F and have the wattage about half as higher than you would with wattage only. Say under wattage mode, you would vape it at 80 watts. Well with TC, you would set the wattage at say 120 watts. That should be pretty close.

Try that and make sure the temperature stays at 510°F (if not you need more wattage). And adjust up and down if necessary. Once that holds the temperature correctly. Now you can change the wattage for the ramp up time. Higher decreases the time and lower increases the time. Some just max it out. But I don't like that because you don't need to do that if you have it set right anyway. And say you end up with a short or something (and it is maxed) and the mod is blind to see the resistance changing. That means you get full power to your coils and that won't be good.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I enjoy it either way. I don't hot box mine but with ss in tc I still could. I do enjoy the long draws you can achieve without the fluctuation, it just makes a better vape in a proper set up.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't get any dry hits, burning tastes or flaming cotton.. I never TC

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are heating a liquid until it vaporises, like boiling water. When it reaches that temperature it vaporises. As long as there is enough water in the pan so it doesn't run dry you can turn the heat up and all that will happen is the water vaporises faster. It will only ever get to the temperature that it vaporises at because at that tenperature it turns to vapor. It's not really similar to cooking, unless boiling water is considered to be cooking.

Why does it bother you that i dislike your prefered vape style.
I just read this whole Thread and BillW50 has had something crazy to say about almost every single reply... Hey man, what works for some people may not work for you and vise versa.
You really have some flaming fingers there Bill lol

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just read this whole Thread and BillW50 has had something crazy to say about almost every single reply... Hey man, what works for some people may not work for you and vise versa.
You really have some flaming fingers there Bill lol
There is a huge difference between a vape connoisseur and caveman vaper. That is all I am saying.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are heating a liquid until it vaporises, like boiling water. When it reaches that temperature it vaporises. As long as there is enough water in the pan so it doesn't run dry you can turn the heat up and all that will happen is the water vaporises faster. It will only ever get to the temperature that it vaporises at because at that tenperature it turns to vapor. It's not really similar to cooking, unless boiling water is considered to be cooking.
Not the same thing. Water is H²O man. Try to burn water in a pan. Ever seen burnt water? Ever seen your coils turn black from 100% water? I never have. Now e-juice contains VG, PG, food flavoring, sometimes sweeteners, and nicotine. Can any of these ingredients burn? You bet they can. There is a huge difference between heating water and heating e-juice as any connoisseur can tell you.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me it's ramp up time. As said above, when you've vaped long enough, you know that lack of flavor that tells you a dry hit is comin and you better drip. Tanks, no such thing without an empty tank. It has nothing to do with dry hits for me.

I like my vape to start immediately and after vaping TC for about a year, if I vape a non TC build that has a long ramp, it up buggs. So I push wattage high and of course half way through my hit it is passing up the temp I want that gives great flavor and moves right into burnt whatever flavor there was right out of the juice and I'm just left with a huge cloud.

For those that like a hotter vape than they have had with TC in the past you can run SS coils in TCR mode and run a higher TCR than normal and you can get it hot as fuck. You can set it to the exact hot as fuck temp you want and it will be the same hot as fuck every time ;)

Last edited:

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There is a huge difference between a vape connoisseur and caveman vaper. That is all I am saying.
If ive been vaping 5 years and the vape works for me and ive advanced as far as id like and disreguard new vape styles that dont work for me, i dont see how why this is an issue for you.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I vape both depending on the experience I want. Some builds I prefer power mode a nice hot vape that keeps getting hotter. I mostly use TC for the consistency of the hit and I like to change flavors a lot. In TC I put up with a few weak hits to clean out the coil so I get fewer flavor crossover hits before the new flavor kicks in.
It's all good, do what works for you.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, I tank one flavor at work but usually drip when I get home so I can vape multiple flavors and avoid the dreaded vape tongue.
I can vape every bit of the last flavor dry in TC, drip a new one and the old flavor is just about 100% gone.

And I mean a bone dry wick, the kind that would certainly give that burning sock god awful dry hit without TC.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If ive been vaping 5 years and the vape works for me and ive advanced as far as id like and disreguard new vape styles that dont work for me, i dont see how why this is an issue for you.
Sure. And I bet some people still cook by rubbing two sticks together too. Nothing wrong with that if it works for you. But other more intelligent people already knows about harm reduction. They know at the higher the vape temperatures, the more likely the vapor becomes dangerous. And by throttling the max temperature, you are reducing the possibility of harm. For some this is important and for others, they could give a rat's ass.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sure. And I bet some people still cook by rubbing two sticks together too. Nothing wrong with that if it works for you. But other more intelligent people already knows about harm reduction. They know at the higher the vape temperatures, the more likely the vapor becomes dangerous. And by throttling the max temperature, you are reducing the possibility of harm. For some this is important and for others, they could give a rat's ass.
Damn dude you sure are a raging bag of douche.
Didnt realize intelligence was measured by personal preference.
Talkin to you is like talking to a wall.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn dude you sure are a raging bag of douche.
Didnt realize intelligence was measured by personal preference.
Talkin to you is like talking to a wall.

Really dude? Want to talk about chemistries, metallurgy, and parts per million? Because talking to people who don't understanding anything about burning, hazardous vapor, and harm reduction is like talking to wall to me.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ever heard of the term 'Ad hominem'? You're continuously grossly over-exaggerating the downsides of wattage rather than actually describing the benefits of TC. Doesn't make for a very good commentary.

To continue your metaphor, do you use an infrared BBQ? They're great, there's no denying that, but if I can cook a mean steak using charcoal, why the hell should I spend $1000+ to replace my grill just to learn how to cook that steak to perfection again? It should be easier, it should be better, but if I'm well satisfied, what is the point?

Long ago I read a story about a fisherman in Mexico. The guy would go out fishing every day to catch his dinner and sell off the excess. When tourists were in town he'd take them out to make a little extra money. One day he takes out this businessman, the man so impressed with the knowledge of the fisherman suggests he builds his business. He could hire another boat and teach that captain his tricks, this way he could catch more fish and bring in more income through tours. The fisherman asks "then what" "well you buy another boat and another boat until you have a whole fleet of boats working for you", the man asks again "and then what?" "well you can then retire and do what you enjoy for leisure, you can go fishing every day and enjoy yourself, catch what you want and have a nice dinner." Point is, the businessman failed to realize that the fisherman was already living the dream retired life that he sought. Why jump through a ton of hoops just to get where you already are?

And, that's what we're talking about here. If someone wanted to take 8s pulls and were encountering issues of either overheating/burns towards the end, or an unpleasant ramp up time, then of course TC could very well help. But, the OP is enjoying their vape, has no complaints, and is asking what TC can do for him, and quite frankly, the answer is 'nothing,' TC can lower ramp up time, it can prevent overheating, but that's what it does, it's not some miracle to make your vape hands down better, it just adds more controls to tweak. I have nothing against TC, it certainly has it's benefits, but I'm like the OP in that I have been able to dial in my vape to make it perfect as far as I'm concerned.

As a quick aside, my spell check wants me to change the word "hominem" to "Eminem" apparently it likes rappers more than Latin terms.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You probably encounter a lot of walls then, poor misunderstood you.
I dont mind a lesson, especially in something that interests me. Whats annoying, are assholes with superiority complex.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as I am aware in cooking the desired outcome is never that you vaporise what you cook. In vaping it always is ...hence they are not similar in any way but you stated that it is 'a lot like cooking'. How so?

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Check your coils! See that black stuff on your coils dude? That is burnt e-juice bro.
Bro, take out your nickel coils... Notice they're black too? It's still getting heated up and gunked up.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You probably encounter a lot of walls then, poor misunderstood you.
I dont mind a lesson, especially in something that interests me. Whats annoying, are assholes with superiority complex.

What annoys me is assholes who pretend they know what they are talking about. We get enough of that crap from those who wants to ban vaping because they believe it is bad and unhealthy.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as I am aware in cooking the desired outcome is never that you vaporise what you cook. In vaping it always is ...hence they are not similar in any way but you stated that it is 'a lot like cooking'. How so?
Because a lot of foods need to be cooked within a given temperature range. Getting the right temperature is very important to get the best flavor and result. Same is true for vaping as well. As many experienced vapers will tell you how at a given temperature, they can taste this and that. And changing the temperature brings in more off this flavor and less of that flavor. Vaping is all about the temperature.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
We are still just talking opinions, you seem to be under the impression your opinions should be carved in stone, hence the asshole superiority complex.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We are still just talking opinions, you seem to be under the impression your opinions should be carved in stone, hence the asshole superiority complex.
No, no,never! Never take anything I say as the absolute truth. I can be wrong as much as anybody else could be.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cooking does not involve heating to the vaporization point. At this temperature the liquid vaporizes, the temperature that the vaporization occurs is a constant i.e water vaporises at 100 degrees - if you apply a more intense heat source to it the vaporisation occurs faster but it still occurs at 100 degrees you just vaporize more water (or ejuice) in a given time. Heating it to less than that vaporization point means it does not vaporize. Burnt hits etc occur when your wicking cannot keep up with the speed of vaporization. But I do not suffer that issue myself which is why TC has not been a great thing for me.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What annoys me is assholes who pretend they know what they are talking about. We get enough of that crap from those who wants to ban vaping because they believe it is bad and unhealthy.
There was no TC when vaping started 10 years ago.. people have been doing this awhile and are healthy. That's proof enough, no need to knock others because you feel you're on some higher scale of vaping because you throttle your temperature. People who think they're better than every other person for no reason like you make me sick. Someone asked a simple question, no need to go on a rant.

VU Sponsors