1. VAPING UNDERGROUND VAPE BANDS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!
    CLICK HERE TO GET YOURS

Why use a mech mod?

Discussion in 'Regulated (Voltage / Wattage / 3.7v/ Temp Control)' started by Izanagi7, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Izanagi7

Izanagi7 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Can someone enlighten me;

From a technical standpoint, in a world where regulated mods exist, that feature all sorts of convenience and safety features, why on earth would one want a mechanical mod?

Aren’t they just rudimentary mods sometimes made with flashy materials? Sometimes they’re hand-made and exorbitantly expensive, but at the core, they’re the most basic in terms of functionality.

Who even buys these? And why?

Sent from Star Destroyer Executor

2. VAPEROXX

VAPEROXX Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Well on most regulated mods there is a delay from the moment you press the button till the moment the mod actually fires full force. Not the case with a mech. Also it has been my experience, regulated mods just don't hit as hard. That battery, or batteries as it were, are powering a lot more than just your atomizer. Also not the case with a mech. A technical term here is voltage drop. That's where SOME mechs get pricey. Copper is the standard of which conductivity is measured. DON'T BE FOOLED BY GOLD! Gold is not as conductive as copper! Silver is the best. Copper is cheaper! Most quality mechs are a combination of copper and silver (usually silver contact points). Regulated mods under scrutiny have also found to be embellished when it comes to output and voltage drop between the battery and the atomizer. With a quality mech in the right hands, with the right coil build, the only factor is battery sag. That factor is out of anyone's control other than the battery manufacturer. A prime reason to buy quality batteries. I have several of both regulated and mechanical mods in different styles and types; and my mechs hit immediately and hit hard! My regulated....eh...some do...some don't.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:10 PM
  3. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Rolling Thunder Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team

Blog Posts:
    They are future proof, all you need is a battery, and I don’t see Sony or Samsung ceasing manufacturing of the cells we use.

There is something beautiful about the simplicity of them. Just a battery, rda, and a switch to complete the circuit. Not to mention, they are beautiful. My favorite reason- after a nuclear war, they’ll still work. Cockroaches and mech mods will survive.

The vape they offer is pretty much impossible to completely replicate, no matter what any board manufacturer says.

jwill, gopher_byrd, JuicyLucy and 5 others like this.
  4. Wtmke1

Wtmke1 The Vapin' Drummer Staff Member Senior Moderator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I definite buy them. More than half my mods are mechs

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

jwill and Mykreign like this.
  5. Izanagi7

Izanagi7 New Member

Blog Posts:
    So they’re the tube amps of vaping?

I think I’d blow myself up. I’ve had it happen more than once that my mod had detected a short in my atty that I wouldn’t have noticed.

I also like being able to adjust the power. Not always in the mood for a full power vape

SteveS45 and IcepickMaker84 like this.
  6. Wtmke1

Wtmke1 The Vapin' Drummer Staff Member Senior Moderator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    You adjust the power with the coil you build for it.

IcepickMaker84 and JuicyLucy like this.
  7. f1r3b1rd

f1r3b1rd Rolling Thunder Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team

Blog Posts:
    That’s probably a decent parallel.
    Like wtmke said, you build for the power you want.

Ohms law, ohms law, ohms law.
    You always build within the batteries limits.

I always build on a regulated mod. That way I can see the resistance of the coil and check for shorts. Also, once in a while make sure the posts screws are tight. You can never be too safe.

SpectoVia and Wtmke1 like this.
  8. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    You need a great understanding of Ohms law and electricity in general to start with, and then build coils according to your desired vape experience. For a builder like me, that's invaluable!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:10 PM
    Wtmke1 likes this.
  9. zeeter

zeeter Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Not experienced with mech mods, but aren't they just for dripping and do not have the 5ml tanks that most regulated mods have? To me that is the difference. I don't want to keep dripping all day. I want to be able to drive somewhere and vape as if I'm smoking without having to pull over to re-drip it every so often.

10. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    You can use tanks on a mech mod...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    zeeter likes this.
  11. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    VAPEROXX likes this.
  12. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    No problem. Mechs come in all shapes and sizes...tubes, box mods, squonkers, etc...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:09 PM
  13. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    Squonk mods. Most have at least 6ml bottle inside. I have a few that have 10ml

SpectoVia, gsmit1 and IcepickMaker84 like this.
  14. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    EC532926-2C8D-4B89-ACED-C734E18F8F51.jpeg

Those are both mechmods with tanks.

You build to a certain resistance to get the power output you want.
    The battery doesn’t care what it’s connected to. It just wants to release its voltage.
    A56F9BD4-F3FC-42E2-9283-544B60437F05.jpeg
    image.jpg
    Same thing here... mechanical squonker with an 8ml bottle inside

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Vape Fan and CactusFanaticus like this.
  15. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Mech squonkers are where it's at for me, but also use RTAs as I greatly dislike dripping

With that said, be wary of tanks that use factory coils - you have to make sure the attie has a protruding 510 or it will go into a hard short the very second it makes contact

Mechs are not for everybody and it's good to know your limitations

I love them over regulated - it seems regulated does need tweaking when I use one, a well-built mech, never - it's smooth sailing

16. zeeter

Blog Posts:
    I know for a fact that I wouldn't keep up with it. Would most likely blow myself up at some point. If a nuclear war breaks out and the only thing left are mech mods and cockroaches I think I'll be able to live without vaping.

Hoggy likes this.
  17. Izanagi7

Izanagi7 New Member

Blog Posts:
    If roaches and mech mods are all that’s left I think vaping might be the least of our worries

Hoggy and IcepickMaker84 like this.
  18. PoppaVic

PoppaVic Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Vaping mashed roaches... yum.

19. IcepickMaker84

IcepickMaker84 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I just got into mechs and I’m loving the experience so far! When I started I was using a simple stick mod but it’s just snowballed from there. Once you get things figured out it’s pretty easy and safe. At this point I only use regulated mods in the morning with coffee and when I’m relaxing in bed so I can just set the mod down knowing it will “go to sleep”. Love the tube amp comparison!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. IcepickMaker84

Blog Posts:
    Is that the Hermetic rda in the bottom pic?

21. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    No, the gold rda is a faris and the silver is a goon22

22. IcepickMaker84

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up!

f1r3b1rd likes this.
  23. CactusFanaticus

CactusFanaticus Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Mechs are more for the hobbiest IMO, people who enjoy learning, tinkering, performing routine maintenance, experimenting, and building.

If easy vapor is all you are after stick to a sub ohm tank and a regulated device, but there is a great satisfaction in chasing the perfect vape with mechs and coil builds.

Personally I love rebuildable tanks (RTA’s) on mechs. As said by others power of the vape is build dependant. You could take a mech, screw on a rda with one build and take rips at 100 watts; remove the rda and replace with a different atomizer with a high ohm build and have a nice mellow MTL vape at 10 watts.

A short while after building my own coils and vaping on regulated devices I noticed whatever the build ohmed at I always ended up vaping it around the 4 volt range, so being able to adjust wattage on my mod was kind of pointless. Now days 90% of my vaping is on a mech or mosfet mod.

Also, never seen a regulated device this sexy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    Man thats a great pic of that xxx. I polish mine for days and it don't look that good

CactusFanaticus likes this.
  25. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    ECAC808C-25A4-459F-903D-7602CA6F3CF8.jpeg love those toaster mods!

26. Izanagi7

Izanagi7 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I grab my cloud beast if I’m heading out or want to switch flavours quickly without re wicking my RDA, but in an ideal world I’d have a row of 22mm RDAs and squonk bottles ready to go.

27. CactusFanaticus

CactusFanaticus Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Mother’s mag and aluminum is awesome, I use it on everything from mods to dull headlights.
    They are great looking little mods, I like that door hehe.

f1r3b1rd likes this.
  28. f1r3b1rd

Blog Posts:
    Me too! I just wish I could find a cleaner that wouldn’t take the color off.

29. gsmit1

gsmit1 Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    This right here is the answer.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  30. PoppaVic

PoppaVic Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    Silly Hobbyists, Mechs are for kids.. ;-)

SteveS45 and gsmit1 like this.
  31. Carambrda

Carambrda Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Regulated mods are for the pansies.. ;-)
    Serious answer, I use a mech mod (and actually I currently own 55 of them) because I am one of few people who are able to get better flavor and especially also a better feel of the vape from them by building my own advanced coil builds which are nitpickingly optimized specifically to be used for this particular purpose alone.

jwill likes this.
  32. r055co

r055co VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    It's simple really
    • IMO a quality Mech provides the smoothest Vape that no regulated Mod can dream of reaching
    • Future Proof, 1000 years from now they can dig up my bones with a Mech in my hand, clean it and start Vaping. Chips break, that's what they do
    • I feel safer on a Mech for I'm in charge of my Safety, not some poor soul working for slave labor in some Chinese factory

gopher_byrd likes this.
  33. bobnat

bobnat VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year Moderator

Blog Posts:
    I'd be hunting and eating all the roaches while the vapers are hitting their mechs.

34. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
  35. r055co

Blog Posts:
    Actually it's very simple but important rules and if you stick with them you're more than safe. IMO more safe than regulated Mod's made in Chinese sweat shops.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy likes this.
  36. Izanagi7

Izanagi7 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I’m not sure that orange one would do well in Canada. TD stands for Toronto Dominion Bank. Probably wouldn’t be too popular among vapers.

37. Izanagi7

Izanagi7 New Member

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

I’ll stick to my slave labor regulated mods, thank you.

I’m too careless and would probably have coils shorting out on me, build the wrong resistance, all that good stuff.

Aside from the safety factor, I don’t think I’d like to vape on a mod that can only hit at max wattage each time. I like being able to dial it up and down depending on my mood without changing out my coils. Regulated box mods offer convenience and functionality mechs just don’t cater to.

I like a manual transmission in a car, but then I’m not limited to full throttle or nothing, and there’s no risk I might blow up the car if I make a careless mistake when putting in the spark plugs.

I think mechs are for for purists who know what they’re doing and are advanced coil builders.

38. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    You definitely need to know more when using a mech. If it doesn't fire. Don't keep holding the switch wondering why. Find the issue and fix it. Youve already made the descision to stay regulated,which is probably a great idea for you. If you can't put the work in to learn how to o build for your batteries specs and make sure your 510 pin is long enough to be safe. Then stay where you're at. Hate to see you on the news. Some people like the hobby and some people just want to vape. You seem to just want to vape so I'd stick with that. But electronics do fail as well.

SpectoVia, r055co and gsmit1 like this.
  39. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
    Not that I'm trying to encourage you do something you clearly don't want to do (and there's nothing wrong with that), but none of these few cases happened to somebody who was doing things right. I realize that's your point. You don't want to have to know all the things that mechs entail because there's no real payoff for you personally and that's fine too.

Just know that this kind of thing is not at all very common and is the result of somebody in over their head who didn't know what they were doing. Like the kid who sneaks his dad's car out and kills himself and his girlfriend (and maybe others) because he thought he knew how to drive no matter what dad said.

r055co and Wtmke1 like this.
  40. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    Everything can be unsafe. But you jump in a car every day. Had to learn how to use it. And if you can work on your car, you can build coils to a certain spec

[​IMG]

jwill and r055co like this.
  41. SteveS45

SteveS45 Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Usually the worst that happens with a Regulated MOD is they just brick. Of the few pictures we have seen of the fires most of the questions concerning the batteries never got answered.

SpectoVia, gsmit1 and Wtmke1 like this.
  42. BoomStick

BoomStick Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    If you have to ask.......

r055co, SteveS45 and Wtmke1 like this.
  43. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
    You mean the whiz bang rewraps they got from Chang Li's Battery and Shoe Store on Ebay?

jwill and SteveS45 like this.
  44. r055co

Blog Posts:
    Every single one of the Mech venting I have seen have been user stupidity.

jwill, gsmit1, SteveS45 and 2 others like this.
  45. CashNVape

CashNVape Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:

I drip every day, while driving, while walking, while working!! DRIP N VAPE DRIP N VAPE DRIP N VAPE! I'm a drip junkie!!!
    [​IMG]

Sent from Amchitka

gopher_byrd and bobnat like this.
  46. r055co

Blog Posts:
    I've really been digging Squonking

[​IMG]

CashNVape, SpectoVia and JuicyLucy like this.
  47. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Me too

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 9.32.29 PM.png

48. r055co

Blog Posts:
    Every single one of these have been user stupidity, every one. Like I said very simple but important rules and you're more than safe.

49. Puneet Sharma

Puneet Sharma Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    This should become a punchline for Mooch or for this entire forum

Keep Ohm’s law in mind

SpectoVia, gsmit1 and Wtmke1 like this.
  50. gsmit1

Blog Posts:
    ds_cr.jpg