Become a Patron!

Why use a RBA?

VapnCloudz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey Guys/Gals

I was just wondering why some people rather build an RBA for devices that are lower in ww/vv? I just bought an 80 device and I think im gonna stick with the sub-ohm tanks until I either move up to an mechanical or an higher wattage boxmod. Would you recommend a RBA for a certain reason over a sub-ohm tank? Im fairly new to mods n vaping in general. I just never saw the appeal to RBA's

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I can think of two reasons.

Customization and cost savings compared to purchasing pre-built heads.

You can make the coils anyway you like out of any material and any wick material you choose.

You can make and install a new coil and wick for pennies.

And sub-ohm tank like the Kanger Subtank and a few others offer RBA decks as an option.

VapnCloudz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can see the cost savings definitely and the way you can customize builds. I will eventually buy an RBA but I just cant come to grips of having to drip every so often. Doesn't that get boring after awhile?

zepp21

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can see the cost savings definitely and the way you can customize builds. I will eventually buy an RBA but I just cant come to grips of having to drip every so often. Doesn't that get boring after awhile?

For me, it's part of the "journey". Just like how some people like doing all their own car maintenance, some like being able to do it themselves, test/build coils, willingness, etc.

As for having to refill more often, it's true but with depending on the RBA and how deep the well is, you may not need to refill as often as some think. With my Skyborg RBA, I can easily drive to work without refilling (15miles, 30mins). Same with the Twisted Messes RDA.

Of course, YYYM depending on build, wattage, etc.

VapnCloudz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What would you guys recommend for a cheap/reliable starter RBA? I probably will only drip if im gonna be at the house chilling. I also just bought a Smok m80 plus. I am currently using an MVP 20Watt. Thanks for all the help brothermen

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

An RBA usually describes a device where you build you own coil and wick assemblies. And the E-Liquid is fed to the coild and wick from the surrounding tank which will usually hold at least 3.0 ml of E-Liquid and as high as 8+ ml of liquid. You build the device, fill and you are good to go for many hours depending on your vaping habits.

An RDA does not have a tank and must be constantly filled as you use it.

VapnCloudz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lmfao

Ok, I just gotta say thanks. I didn't know there was a hybrid between the two. as you can tell im fairly new to mods n stuff. I have been vaping for two years and only used the egotwists till recently. I think I might be comfortable with an RBA after all. Thanks again guys/gals.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What would you guys recommend for a cheap/reliable starter RBA? I probably will only drip if im gonna be at the house chilling. I also just bought a Smok m80 plus. I am currently using an MVP 20Watt. Thanks for all the help brothermen

The Kayfun Lite series is about the best for a new builder to start out with.

Very easy to build and there are some decent clones available for less than $20

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just cant come to grips of having to drip every so often. Doesn't that get boring after awhile?

I thought the same thing before buying one on a black friday sale and trying it out. Fell in love. If you like to vape different flavors often, then a benefit of dripping is that you can use as many different flavors as you want in a day. I rarely only have one flavor with me when I am out. Usually have 2 or 3 different bottles with me.

Even with drippers, it is possible to not have to drip often. I have a 28mm Cerberus RDA with a 0.8 ohm triple coil build, I have measured putting 2ml of juice in it's huge juice well. Enough for 10-15 mins of vaping at 80 watts.

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never wanted to build my own coils. Now though I am making my own juice and it would be so helpful in testing flavors if I could drip them.

VapnCloudz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Now, that's my next chase. To get building lol. Thanks guys. I now see why its important. Good stuff

hugh janus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I never wanted to build my own coils. Now though I am making my own juice and it would be so helpful in testing flavors if I could drip them.
That's what I use my drippers for; experiment with new flavors that I DIY. They are very handy for that. When I come up with something good I fill a tank and off you go.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For me, the building of my own coils is nice because I can build to the vape I want (I prefer a cool vape), it's dirt cheap, and it's more convenient -- I don't have to deal with things like coil needing replacing and it's the middle of the night and having to wait until morning to drive to town, plus I don't have to drive to town even when need to replace in middle of day. Also, when I travel, I don't have to find a shop to get a replacement.

RBA - rebuildable atomizer
RDA - rebuildable dripping atomizer

I like both; each has its own pluses. With an RDA, you do have to carry a bottle of juice with ya, but. . . I agree with the above poster that the Kayfun Lite is a good intro RBA.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Member For 4 Years
I switched to RBAs after I successfully made the switch to vaping and I was concerned about the price of replacement atomizers, not being able to find my particular brand and resistance in stock, worrying about an FDA crack down, and looking for a better quality vape. Although I started building on RDAs and I do occasionally use drippers, I prefer tanks and primarily use a KFL and I would highly recommend it as others already have. I really enjoy being self-sufficient and having a ten year supply of wick and wire for under $20.

VU Sponsors