Become a Patron!

Why use twisted kanthal in a RBA?

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok I can't seem to find a answer what are the pro's and con's of using twisted kanthal over other methods, and what are the other methods and their pro's and con's? My personal taste is i want to build something with my TOBH v3 in a quad coil configuration with a lot of vapor like competition vapor and decent favor. Thanks for any assistance you could provide me

Mastervaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Twisted coils are, at least in my experience (singles / duals); a type of coil that takes quite a bit of time to heat up, produces amazing flavor, but not a whole lot of vapor.

My favorite coil, that I happen to be vaping on right now, are dual 24g parallel coils. Vapor production and flavor are fantastic.

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, would using 24g quad parallel coils produce more vapor?

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh and how many wraps per coil do you do? I'm using Japanese cotton is there anything better that would produce more vapor?

Mastervaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Really, the only way to know this is to go out and try it for yourself. Being that I have yet to dive into quad coils, my opinion is really just speculation.

My 24g dual parallel is wrapped around a little screw driver you get with an RDA. I wrapped it 6 times which netted me a .18 ohm build in the dual set-up.

I use standard organic cotton with high / max VG juices that have 0-3mg of nicotine in them and get fantastic clouds. You'll be fine with your Japanese organic cotton.

For enormous competition clouds, especially on a quad setup, you're going to need a lot of airflow. The pre-drilled holes in the Tobh are alright for normal builds, but for competition builds, it's actually a bit restrictive. You could drill out your air holes or take a look at a "competition" RDA... Something like the Mutation X, Doge, Dark Horse, etc.

Again, this is my opinion! :)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, would using 24g quad parallel coils produce more vapor?
24 gauge twisted quad coils would be a very, very low ohm build. Please be careful if you do that build. Japanese cotton will work great, just make sure to have enough to keep those coils soaked in juice.

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Really, the only way to know this is to go out and try it for yourself. Being that I have yet to dive into quad coils, my opinion is really just speculation.

My 24g dual parallel is wrapped around a little screw driver you get with an RDA. I wrapped it 6 times which netted me a .18 ohm build in the dual set-up.

I use standard organic cotton with high / max VG juices that have 0-3mg of nicotine in them and get fantastic clouds. You'll be fine with your Japanese organic cotton.

For enormous competition clouds, especially on a quad setup, you're going to need a lot of airflow. The pre-drilled holes in the Tobh are alright for normal builds, but for competition builds, it's actually a bit restrictive. You could drill out your air holes or take a look at a "competition" RDA... Something like the Mutation X, Doge, Dark Horse, etc.

Again, this is my opinion! :)

That's interesting my TOBH v3 has 6 pre-drilled air holes, are you saying I would need more airflow than that for competition vapor clouds?

Mastervaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's interesting my TOBH v3 has 6 pre-drilled air holes, are you saying I would need more airflow than that for competition vapor clouds?

I mean, "competition cloud" is really a subjective term. I don't know what kind of clouds you're used to or what you're really looking for, but if you're looking for enormous amounts of vapor; Airflow is a huge factor. Especially with a build that is covering a lot of surface area, like quad coils.

For example, the Mutation X RDA is quite similar to the Tobh but it has 18 pre-dilled, adjustable, air holes. You can get an authentic Indulgence Mutation X for right around $25.00 or purchase a clone on Ebay for around $15.00.

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IMO and from my experience, the tobh can put out clouds. But for the big clouds or competition clouds, it can definitely benefit from more airflow. I second @Mastervaper 's suggestion for a RDA with more airflow, but if your in a bind and have a drill you could always widen yours out. Best of luck buddy!

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, I've been thinking about getting a mutation x, for competition clouds, or I may just save money and drill some holes as suggested

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In my experience, twisted coils produce better flavor.
Besides it's a way to finally use that good for nothing 32AWG spool you have stuck at the bottom of the cupboard.

VU Sponsors