Become a Patron!

Why would anyone buy rewraps

Ringmasterdan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Forgive me if I come off like an asshole but I don't understand the appeal of rewraped batteries. When a company rewraps a battery they buy substandard name brand batteries and simply slap on a new label with exaggerated specs and charge what the name brands charge for A bin batteries... So yeah rant over...

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a person can be ignorant.
People are fucking fucking stupid as a whole.
Me and some friends like to use the term "people" as an insult. "you people" = "you idiot"

But yes, it's simply ignorance. If you know what a rewrap is of course you're not going to buy it. But, if you don't, well, someone just made some money. Lying to sell a product is far from new. Research is always warranted. As someone somewhat new to the more advanced area of vaping I was lucky enough to have trusted friends who were more well educated. When I first purchased things I had some guides. Upon further research I found that they were correct in their recommendations (Samsung Green Wrap 25rs, I forget the full name but I always double check before purchase).

All that can be done has been done by this community. We have charts and specs that fully explain what is available. The idea that some lesser name brand had doubled capacity compared to a samsung or sony is just silly. But, someone doesn't do any research, doesn't look into things, and simply takes them as they're presented, well they're just fools tricked by the evils of marketing. It will always happen regardless the avenue, especially technology. You see TVs marketed as 4k, where they are 4k compatible but within limitations of refresh rates. Or anything like that. Companies lie, they create sales by doing so, always always always do a little research before purchase.

MorpheusPA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How would most people know, without doing the research--which requires that you have some suspicion that things are not as they seem. If you've used nothing but rewraps, you may be used to them and simply think that's the way batteries work. And if you never push the current rating (as most people don't), you likely won't have a problem.

It's unfair to expect the consumer to become an expert on every product they use in the course of a day. That's why we have labeling requirements and truth in advertising requirements for most products.

Batteries seem to be a very wide exception to that, in every type and classification.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I suspect that most B&M carry re-wraps and new vapers don't have a clue so figure shops know what there doing. That's why I still have a couple of imrens and and efest along with a bunch of newer 25R's vtc4's and HG2's.

I sometimes hang in a few local shops and the cluelessness of some of the folks there makes me want to laugh. In one shop the employees use good batteries but the boss stocks re-wraps so that's what they sell. I see even Jon started selling Efest probably because the demand is there and any good businessman caters to the market.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Forgive me if I come off like an asshole but I don't understand the appeal of rewraped batteries. When a company rewraps a battery they buy substandard name brand batteries and simply slap on a new label with exaggerated specs and charge what the name brands charge for A bin batteries... So yeah rant over...
They are not necessarily substandard the reason they do it is simple branding.. Efest lets pick on them.. They know many people know their name if they wrap dog shit or a bar of gold a person thinks Efest and buy it.. For Vape shops they can buy Efest batteries a bit cheaper..
Now some people rewrape themselves I am not one of them I do not need to put a pink shrink wrap on my LG battery but they do it probably as a sign of Vaping Mental Illness or some other continuity malfunction.. AW batteries are rewraps and one of the most common batteries before the current generation of rewraps.. So the whole Re-wrap is bad mentality probably started from the Fuckfire batteries and somehow this got translated to shit.. Its a misnomer for the larger rewrap companies such as Imren and Efest and of course there are others

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I totally agree that not all re-wraps are bad but lies about there specs is and could be dangerous. I have no complaints about my efest and imerin's but my OEM batteries will out perform them. It's most noticeable on the Joule counter on my Mclass. I have a 40A 3400ma imren and my 20A 3000ma HG2 will noticeably outlast it on any mod I put them in.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I love going into a threads to learn something, while at the same time being called
--ignorant
--gullible
--clueless
--an asshole
--a fool
--stupid
--fucking stupid
--fucking fucking stupid

I did get hosed on my first step up from cigalikes in 2011. The guy sold me a mod and atty that were dead wringers for the originals... to the point where I've taken the parts into B&M's and employees argued over their legitimacy. (They really are clones.) Dude sold me batteries too, and while they turned out legit, it scared the crap out of me.

Fast forward four years, to right now. Didn't know the full extent of rewraps. It made me curious so I found a site where a guy posted a picture of two Samsung 18650s, both with almost the exact same dot-matrix printing on the sides. The only way to tell one was fake was that the positive post looked different. That led to reading about fake authenticity stickers and all the etcetera that comes along with rants from people who've been screwed over.

So sure, I'm a knuckle-dragging moron. Always will be. Because I gave up thinking I can keep up with manufacturers who find all these creative ways to f people over.

Wait until I post back here in two weeks and tell you that the coil jig I got from Fasttech is a clone. You'll know if it happens because you'll see a thread titled "Yup, I'm a sucker... again."

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People buy rewraps because they don't know they are rewraps or just because they are cheap bastards.
I bet most people that buy Efests don't know they are rewraps.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
People buy rewraps because they don't know they are rewraps or just because they are cheap bastards.
I bet most people that buy Efests don't know they are rewraps.
I didn't until I started reading this site and after doing my own research I now know better. That's why I only buy from a trusted dealer.
NEVER buy a battery with fire in it's name.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Definition of a rewrap vs a counterfeit seems to be a topic of confusion. Is a counterfeit product such as a Sony VTC5 a re-wrap ?
I define re-wrap as a battery that is made by a manufactuer then relabeled with their own branding name.. Such as Efest or Imren or AW
Does that make these bad batteries? Until the definition of Re-wrap is explored this will always light fires.. Misinformation of labeling a battery with higher specs then the battery actually has causes confusion ut then the battery industry as a whole is at fault by putting out pulse specs that have no continuity

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Not all rewraps are inferior lower binned batteries. Efest generally is high bin batteries. They also have a higher level of counterfeit control via the counterfeit codes. And they're in retail packaging, which many people and shops appreciate.

So I can understand why some people, especially newer people, prefer them, but we do always recommend going with the original manufacturers.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Why do OEMs even tolerate this? Only thing I can think of is... they make their batts for both retail and wholesale, and don't care whether the exteriors look different. (Example: Efest wraps them and calls them their own.)

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Why do OEMs even tolerate this? Only thing I can think of is... they make their batts for both retail and wholesale, and don't care whether the exteriors look different. (Example: Efest wraps them and calls them their own.)
A. they would have to throw away all there B stock batteries.
B. They make money and assume no liability because someones else has there name is on them.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The same with any mass produced product they make it have their own marketing department then wholesale the rest...
you seem very suprised by this ? Our industry does not even touch the amount of 18650 batteries produced most are found in Laptop battery packs and other larger battery packs. And I will bet that each of those larger battery packs being sold have another name on them

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A re-wrap I would buy... My vape Guru the Bogan explains. Skip to 10:10 He had a Sony rewrapped as a Trustfire. lololol

Last edited:

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
you seem very suprised by this ?

Not this specifically, just the related bs... like overseas companies (fubar, inc) making dirt-cheap batteries and putting a big name on them, like Samsung. The "criminal" stuff. But I get where vaping fits in the world of commerce... more due diligence isn't killing me.

I'm familiar with companies making generic products to compete with their own. Not really a big deal where more stuff's regulated, like food. Shop at Trader Joe's often enough and you start finding out who actually makes their TJ's-branded merchandise. Some big companies.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not this specifically, just the related bs... like overseas companies (fubar, inc) making dirt-cheap batteries and putting a big name on them, like Samsung. The "criminal" stuff. But I get where vaping fits in the world of commerce... more due diligence isn't killing me.

I'm familiar with companies making generic products to compete with their own. Not really a big deal where more stuff's regulated, like food. Shop at Trader Joe's often enough and you start finding out who actually makes their TJ's-branded merchandise. Some big companies.
yeah its pretty fucked up isnt it.. if you explore the number of LI-ion manufacturers just in China its around 270 thats manufacturers thats pretty freaking crazy not that they just make 18650's it gets ugly :0

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm looking for a good place to buy legit battery's cheap. Anyone have a dependable place they like?

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Definition of a rewrap vs a counterfeit seems to be a topic of confusion. Is a counterfeit product such as a Sony VTC5 a re-wrap ?
I define re-wrap as a battery that is made by a manufactuer then relabeled with their own branding name.. Such as Efest or Imren or AW
Does that make these bad batteries? Until the definition of Re-wrap is explored this will always light fires.. Misinformation of labeling a battery with higher specs then the battery actually has causes confusion ut then the battery industry as a whole is at fault by putting out pulse specs that have no continuity
I agree that not all re-wraps are bad. The problem is the guy who puts a 14500 in a 18650 can fills it with sand and calls it a 40 amp battery.
That's why I always say buy from a trusted dealer. Re-branding has been a part of business forever and doesn't have to be bad.
Counterfeiting has been around forever also and it usually turns out bad.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree that not all re-wraps are bad. The problem is the guy who puts a 14500 in a 18650 can fills it with sand and calls it a 40 amp battery.
That's why I always say buy from a trusted dealer. Re-branding has been a part of business forever and doesn't have to be bad.
Counterfeiting has been around forever also and it usually turns out bad.
haha think these batteries are good
http://vaporhoes.blogspot.com/2013/10/bitching-batteries.html

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No one told them not to use a battery with fire in it's name????? That's funny on so many levels.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What I like about this reviewer he always takes the mods apart so you can see the construction. Some so called good mods are really built like crap.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
if you explore the number of LI-ion manufacturers just in China its around 270

Was that number before or after the last bunch of factory explosions? They will need an auto updating counter soon...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Many vapers are cheap...

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What I like about this reviewer he always takes the mods apart so you can see the construction. Some so called good mods are really built like crap.

He does very good reviews. The fact that he sounds like Borat ia a definate plus as well!

Ringmasterdan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I suspect that most B&M carry re-wraps and new vapers don't have a clue so figure shops know what there doing. That's why I still have a couple of imrens and and efest along with a bunch of newer 25R's vtc4's and HG2's.

I sometimes hang in a few local shops and the cluelessness of some of the folks there makes me want to laugh. In one shop the employees use good batteries but the boss stocks re-wraps so that's what they sell. I see even Jon started selling Efest probably because the demand is there and any good businessman caters to the market.
This point infuriates me to no end every damn brick and mortar in my area(6 total) constantly try pushing rewraps down my throat I finally found one...(shout out to south Salisbury Vapeit) that does carry legit Samsung 25rs but they are a rare commodity at best. The only reason they carry them is because the manager there uses the store to order wholesale online for his own use...the past few months I've been cultivating a bit of a kinship with him so that he now takes requests whenever he places his weekly orders...

Last edited:

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This point infuriates me to no end every damn brick and mortar in my area(6 total) constantly try pushing rewraps down my throat I finally found one...(shout out to south Salisbury Vapeit) that does carry legit Samsung 25rs but they are a rare commodity at best. The only reason they carry them is because the manager there uses the store to order wholesale online for his own use...the past few months I've been cultivating a bit of a kinship with him so that he now takes requests whenever he places his weekly orders...

I wouldn't trust any B&M who doesn't have a large online presence, from which they make the majority of their income. The others have to cut corners somewhere in order to stay in business...

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I suspect that most B&M carry re-wraps and new vapers don't have a clue so figure shops know what there doing.

I'm pleased to report the Vape Shop I frequent not only sells Samsung and LG, but they also take the time to explain to new vapers the importance, and primary points regarding batt safety.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wouldn't trust any B&M who doesn't have a large online presence, from which they make the majority of their income. The others have to cut corners somewhere in order to stay in business...

You also state:

"I know most vapers on forums would buy e-liquid mixed in urinals if the price were right"

Your opinions will recieve all due consideration, and will be judged as to amount of merit (if any) accordingly.

Ringmasterdan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
These boys do really well they're located almost directly across the street from Salisbury university, and they're extremely customer service oriented. I love the place.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You also state:

"I know most vapers on forums would buy e-liquid mixed in urinals if the price were right"

Your opinions will recieve all due consideration, and will be judged as to amount of merit (if any) accordingly.
I think many hobbyist vapers would buy mods from ISIS, if the price were right. They already support the criminal activity of counterfeiting. Vapers are cheap. I've read posts where vapers knowingly bought re-wrapped Sony batteries, because the vtc5s were all the rage at the time...

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've read posts where vapers knowingly bought re-wrapped Sony batteries, because the vtc5s were all the rage at the time...

Well this at least sheds a little light on the definitive sources of your knowlege

I think many hobbyist vapers would buy mods from ISIS

I don't. In fact I have found most vapers, and most of the members on this forum are very nice, and ethical people, willing to share their knowlege and assist others.

They already support the criminal activity of counterfeiting

Ah. Now I know who you really are. Ladies and Gentlemen meet Fernando Sollis, President of Hyon USA.

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I rewrap my batteries whenever the old wrap starts to tear. Heard that shit was dangerous.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I rewrap my batteries whenever the old wrap starts to tear. Heard that shit was dangerous.

I was wondering that myself. With my new mod the springs at the end seem to do some damage on the negative end of the batteries, just pulling on them as I remove. I figured I could rewrap if needed, would that be a bad idea? Honestly batteries are cheap enough that I'm not too concerned but it was a thought.

ObxChef

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was wondering that myself. With my new mod the springs at the end seem to do some damage on the negative end of the batteries, just pulling on them as I remove. I figured I could rewrap if needed, would that be a bad idea? Honestly batteries are cheap enough that I'm not too concerned but it was a thought.
Eventually you'll have to buy new batteries when your old ones wear out after months of use. But I just rewrap when needed. Mine get torn up easy as well.

Ringmasterdan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just looked up the efest 3100mah batteries on illumn.com they're priced at $7 a piece. They are rewraps of the Samsung 30q which are priced on the same site at $6.50 a piece. Let's not forget that efest has labeled these batteries as 3100 mah 20amp cont.discharge when the 30q is 15 amp cont. Discharge at 3000mah...so yeah for an extra 50 cents you get a new wrap and exaggerated specs...awesome

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Eventually you'll have to buy new batteries when your old ones wear out after months of use. But I just rewrap when needed. Mine get torn up easy as well.

Of course, it's funny but my brand new batteries have been torn up a bit more than my old ones already. My main pair of old ones are probably coming up on trash time but still going strong.

VU Sponsors