Become a Patron!

Wich Gauge to put in steam engine when using clapton

Hey there guys,

New to this forum but got a quick question. |m trying to figure out how much watt I can take my device up with a dual clapton build I put together on my RDA wth the use of steam engine.

I built a dual SS316L clapton coil build on my RDA. 26 AWG as core and 30 AWG as outer. I did 5 wraps each coil with 3mm diameter.

I calculated the wire resistance with the wire wizzard on steam engine. It came out as 0.442 Ohm.

After that I put the wire resistance in the advanced tab for the coil wrapper tool. chose the target resistance as my current resistance reading(0.24 ohm) from my mod, chose dual coil put in the diameter wire length etc. The only value I can not seem to find anywhere is the AWG I am supposed to put in. Since its 2 wires both with different AWG. AM I supposed to use the core AWG, so 26 or something else?

I added some screenshots of the wire wizard and coil wrapper tool to show how far I am

http://imgur.com/a/LhRGO
http://imgur.com/a/nnOuH
Any help would be appriciated!

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was having trouble with the same thing. I couldnt figure out what to put for clapton wire in the second screen shot you posted. I used the page you posted in the first screen shot and still came out with inaccurate ohms.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
you have to use the wire wizard section and fill out the specs of the coil
http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html
the resistance of each coil is right there in the left. if your target resistance is .24 then adjust it until the resistance below reads .48. then in dual coil mode it'll be .24
pQ5Z5dG.png

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The core part was confusing me pretty bad. My claptons have a twisted core with 2 28G wires but when I click twisted in the drop down, it gives me another section that is confusing because I would think it means that I have 4 twisted wires in there instead of just 2.:confused: I have been messing with this thing on and off for a couple days...:cuss2:

Thanks to OP for posting the thread. I hope you have it easier than me.;)

you have to use the wire wizard section and fill out the specs of the coil
http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html
the resistance of each coil is right there in the left. if your target resistance is .24 then adjust it until the resistance below reads .48. then in dual coil mode it'll be .24
pQ5Z5dG.png
Thanks for the info. But thats not really what is confusing me. I got the desired resistance reading from my coils. Everything is perfect and its vaping fine. I just want to know the heat flux it gives me for the wattage I put out. I can check that in the coil wrapper tool. But I just dont know what to put in the AWG box when using clapton

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The gauge for the coil wrapper tool was the very thing that confused me so I went to the wire builder. There is a heat flux per watt there as well. 5th down in the blue area as shown on SirRichardRear's screen shot.

Perhaps the coil wrapper tool is only for more simple wires?

Last edited:

bmclaurin

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here is a direct quote from Lars himself regarding the Wire Wizard section of steam-engine.org:

Why should I use it?
First of all: If you just want a calculator that is simple to use, and you don't make mixed wires, the old coil wrapping calculator is probably a better choice for you. It is a much more polished piece of software, and designed to be (almost) as simple as possible to use, while still giving accurate results and a handful of more advanced options.

I designed this calculator with two distinct groups of vapers in mind:
  • Those who use temperature control, and want to combine different materials with different temperature coefficients of resistance.
  • Those who wrap fancy coils, and want to better understand the flow of the current and heat in the various parts of the coil.
Even if you don't belong to either group, I hope you find this calculator helpful, that it helps you better understand what goes on in the coil, and that it ultimately enables you to build better coils.

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't know if you still need help or not. But yeah Clapton is not an option on the ''coil wrapper'' section. You will need to use the wire wizard like you did for calculating the resistance, and as bugalien said the heat flux per watt is shown 5th down on the left. This means you take the value there and multiply it by your target wattage, and then divide by 2 for dual coil. using 316L 26g core, 30g Clapton, 5 wraps at 3mm the flux shown is 1.39 Per Watt. So say you want the HF for 150w would be 1.39 x 150 = 208.5 then since wire wizard shows the values for a single coil you must divide that by 2 for dual coil. 208 / 2 = 104.
Using that will more or less give you a baseline of how cool/hot your vape will be but I'm not entirely sure its accurate for claptons vs the coil wrapper page for round/twisted/parallel wire. Some folks just use the cores of the Clapton and plug them into coil wrapper to get an idea, but again isn't 100% for claptons because the wrap is heated up only from the core wire which causes ramp up. (Using thinner gauge outer wrap will reduce ramp up but also change HF)

VU Sponsors