Become a Patron!

wicking Japanese cotton. bad taste

I have a yep dark shadow box mod with a patriot rda. I am not new.to vaping but am new to dripping having just switched from a kangertech turbo atomizer tank. I buy pre built .5 ohm coils from my local vape shop. I use koga Japanese cotton sheets also from my local vape shop. I have had a few good wicks but majority taste like burnt cotton after 5 or so puffs unless HEAVILY saturated with juice. I am looking for tip on wicking methods or materials to help solve this.

Attachments

• IMG_20150529_142649.jpg
    IMG_20150529_142649.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 26

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Make sure the cotton is fits firm inside the coil, if the cotton is to loose it will give a burnt taste. Make sure your hands are clean when wicking a coil too. What power level are you using with the .5 build? Are you getting enough airflow to the coil for the power level its being vaped at? Are the air holes directly in front of the coil? (they need to be)

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Matt is 100% correct. I was doing that for a while. Not putting the cotton in the coil with a tight enough fit and I would get a burnt taste. It's because your getting "Hot Spots".

When I first started having this problem, I was using almost double the cotton as in the picture. I've slowly been using less and less. It fits firmly but isn't too hard to slide back in forth after wicking. I'm not sure how much power I'm using. My mod has 2 18650 3.7 v batteries in it. I think I am getting enough airflow because there are 2 air holes and I'm only running 1 coil. And could you explain exactly what a hot spot is? Cause I made sure my coil burned red from the inside out if that's what your referring to...

Currently re wicking (for the 3rd day in a row). Here's a picture of how much cotton I use these days. Next to a q tip for approximate scaling

whitepony1986

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yeah use more cotton and twist the hell out of the end of it to get it in the coil

I tried more cotton and had the same effect. Poor wicking after half a day, burnt cotton taste, and a waste of good juice. I've been reading more, and have read some people say sub ohm vaping and cotton do not go well together. can Anyone else shed some light?

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the same cotton like someone Said above make sure it's tight in the coil i use a 2.5 mm coil and twist the end of the cotton real tight to get it through the coils and had no probs so far.

I appreciate all of the help, however I have no problem actually wicking it. Twisting and threading the cotton isn't the problem I don't think. Is there anyone who could actually help with the amount of cotton that is to be used? Can someone actually tell me or do I just have to go through 3 more sheets of cotton to stumble across the correct amount? (Looking for an approximation in relevance tip the entire cotton sheet size, like 1/8 a sheet wide, etc)

RodThaVapenRat

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You know its like knowing how much bondo to mix up for a repair or a ding...... It takes a little experience to get it right.I went through almost half a cotton bacon bag and honestly I still don't get it right every time flawlessly. It will take time and repetition.but as for a exact amount I don't think its in a book or on a scale table of any kind.so good luck and keep doing it you will get better.....Vape on my friend.

"War,war never changes"

vapeleash

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just curious OP, did you clean your coils before wicking?

VU Sponsors