Become a Patron!

Wicking material and brand

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, just a quick question: What's everyone's favorite wicking material and brand?

I've used regular organic cotton sheets, wicking cotton by Demon Killer that came with some wire I bought, and most recently I've been using Native Wicks Platinum blend of organic American cotton. I'm quite fond of the Native Wicks Platinum for sure, the flavor is great and it's pretty easy to work with. Nice and fluffy, which was my problem with the organic cotton sheets it was so flat and condensed, pulling off the top and bottom layers was more work than it seemed worth and usually resulted in losing good viable cotton leaving me with a thin wispy cloud if cotton to work with.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I like Cotton Bacon best.

Native Wicks doesn't seem to last as long and the Platinum lasts even less

I'm a super-taster and the Cotton Bacon taste breaks in faster than Native Wicks

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cotton balls from walmart.
For me cotton is cotton. Why pay more?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Do you use them straight out of the bag or boil them first? Flavor production still pure, no chemical taste? And do you use Walmart brand whatever is cheapest or do you prefer to still go organic?

I'm looking for good, potentially cheaper alternative possibilities. And I don't remember exactly but I think I paid 8.00 or 9.00 for about 2oz approximately (3.5 ft roll specifically) plus shipping. Key factors for me are flavor and workability.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like Cotton Bacon best.

Native Wicks doesn't seem to last as long and the Platinum lasts even less

I'm a super-taster and the Cotton Bacon taste breaks in faster than Native Wicks
Cotton bacon is next on my list. Despite its rave reviews and cult-like following I haven't tried it just yet.

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, just a quick question: What's everyone's favorite wicking material and brand?

I've used regular organic cotton sheets, wicking cotton by Demon Killer that came with some wire I bought, and most recently I've been using Native Wicks Platinum blend of organic American cotton. I'm quite fond of the Native Wicks Platinum for sure, the flavor is great and it's pretty easy to work with. Nice and fluffy, which was my problem with the organic cotton sheets it was so flat and condensed, pulling off the top and bottom layers was more work than it seemed worth and usually resulted in losing good viable cotton leaving me with a thin wispy cloud if cotton to work with.

Do not use just plane cotton balls. They bleach them. The best and most economic has to be cotton bacon. It's only like $5 and will last a long time. I change out mine every day at least and it will last me 6 months or better. It's made for vaping. It comes in long strips so it's easy to work wth

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
If cost is your biggest factor, a lot of folks use cellulose . A humongous life-time supply box is under $15 from Sally's Beauty Supply.

I can taste it, so never use it. Most swear there is no taste.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If cost is your biggest factor, a lot of folks use cellulose . A humongous life-time supply box is under $15 from Sally's Beauty Supply.

I can taste it, so never use it. Most swear there is no taste.
Cost isn't too much of a factor for me, though it does make a difference, as much as still trying to find what works best. I may still give the cellulose a try as well. I've just been doing a lot of experimenting though and figured I'd pick brains for different preferences.

If I pay a little bit more for better taste and quality it's worth it for sure in my book.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It looked overhyped and expensive - until I broke down and tried it

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cost isn't too much of a factor for me, though it does make a difference, as much as still trying to find what works best. I may still give the cellulose a try as well. I've just been doing a lot of experimenting though and figured I'd pick brains for different preferences.

If I pay a little bit more for better taste and quality it's worth it for sure in my book.
I use japanese cotton because it supposedly is organically grown no pesticides no bleaching no strange goop to make it like Rayon I as well can taste Rayon in a pinch if I ever ran out which I have organic cotton balls work fine. I like cotton bacon as well but it appears that is is bleached somehow the directional nature of all the materials affects how it wicks. you will not find any one that is so ground breaking that you go 'HOLY FUCK' I found the holy grail

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you use them straight out of the bag or boil them first? Flavor production still pure, no chemical taste? And do you use Walmart brand whatever is cheapest or do you prefer to still go organic?

I'm looking for good, potentially cheaper alternative possibilities. And I don't remember exactly but I think I paid 8.00 or 9.00 for about 2oz approximately (3.5 ft roll specifically) plus shipping. Key factors for me are flavor and workability.

I use whatever cotton balls the store has. I only used Walmart as example. Also wife just bought new bag there the other day. I just used the last of her last bag.

Cotton balls can have a bleach or peroxide flavor.........boiling removes this... it's not required.. I only ever taste cotton when having a dry hit. Which I try to avoid. Sometime I get some taste with a fresh coil.

I have found that ALL cotton performs better after being boiled and dried. So yes I boil the balls. I boil fancy vaping cotton also.

Rayon is another option. $10 will get you a 10 year supply at Sally's Beauty.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Using cotton bacon V2 here does the job although gonna try muji next

VU Sponsors