Wicking techniques for chasing clouds.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Which way do you prefer to wick your low ohm coils? Do you tuck underneath? Tuck behind? Clip the edges without tucking? I've tried lots of different methods and I've found two that work well for me.

The first ones is with a single piece of cotton, threaded thru both coils and folded over between the posts. There's no cotton under or behind the coil, and the coil is positioned high up so that airflow will come in and under the coil. The only downside is that I only get a couple of hits before I have to rejuice.
image.jpg

The second method is just a plain tuck under the coil from the thicker side, and then I clip the shorter side close to the coil. I get more hits this way but I can tell that the cotton is choking off the coil for vapor production more than the first method.

I basically just want to try and find the best of both worlds. Running at these types of temperatures, juice goes fast. Any method to let me get a little extra mileage would be great.

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
lets see if i can do this without pictures :) take both sides of the cotton and cut em BOTH with tails about the same diameter... make them fluffy.. now tuck them under the coil.. both of them... now make sure you clear a little airway under the coil, sorta push the cotton off to the side just a little.. try that..

VaporOwl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey PDX how are your coils so beautifully centered here?

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Precisely what @CloudModsUSA stated above, and prebends on all of my builds.
photo 1 (3).JPG
Not the best example, but the only one I had uploaded to my computer and readily available. There's a wicking picture in there too to keep it thread related hahaha.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
View attachment 6479
Not the best example, but the only one I had uploaded to my computer and readily available. There's a wicking picture in there too to keep it thread related hahaha.
22 or 24 ga?
I will have to give that a shot on my plumeveil clone with the prebends...once I get some more wire unless you know a place in Ptown that carries some.

VaporOwl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 6479

Well I know what I'm going to be doing when I get home today! I've got a CLT and Vulcan so centering it is!

BigNasy, by Ptown do you mean Princeton? If so there are some shops in Hamilton that have wire.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No owl anything east of the Mississippi and north of the mason dixion line is occupied and no longer free....I avoid it at all costs.
Ptown is Portland due to the sheer volume of adult businesses and more strip joints per capita..

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry @BigNasty, I do all of my shopping online as the greater Portland area doesn't have any real shops hahah! I know you can get some "sample" Kanthal if you're in a bind over at Vape-Game on Barbur Blvd.
I haven't been to a B&M in months though due to the lack of selection I noticed at any of the storefronts I went to, so this may have changed significantly as the vaping industry moves so quickly.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I need to check out vape game heard some good things.
Another I need to scope out is on divison and one downtown.
EVL last I was there was shy on stuff heavy on tude and out of a ton of juices.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The double positive post allows for B-E-A-Utiful center post builds! Looks nice pdx, that's exactly how I wick. I use Shiseido, IMO its overpowered!!
Thanks for that pic. I'll be getting an Orchid soon (dbl positive posts) and this really helps. I've seen different ways of wicking that. Most people run the wick tails down the side channels but one guy folded them up and over the coils. U got any opinions on that?

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For horizontal builds, I tuck them under, and if the legs are long enough a small cotton cloud between the coil and the posts. Leave the area between the coil and air whole open. I just started vertical builds, and I build vertical builds at an angle. I cover the bottom end and top outside. I have the inside top end in line with the air whole and open. This also seems to have more cotton so it holds more.

Viral Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive found that tucking them under a horizontal build is a very fast wick. Depending on the RDA and build i generally always tuck the excess under to allow faster wicking.

red6

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What I did to help save the juice and still get good clouds is.......

On a mutant X I went to 1 coil and built to a 0.2
clouds are still good. Not winning any comps with it but not far off.
But my juice lasts for at least 8 to 9 good hits and 4 to 5 with deep cloud chasing hits. And that's running the flavor chasing 50/50 mix.
The max vg mix. Well let's face it. We need to have someone pour the mix as we vape to not worry about the dreaded dry hit

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Swiss Roll Method is the Only Cloud Chasing Method, Roll enough to be snug in your coil, clip the cotton so ends TOUCH the deck and fluff it...Nothing should go under the coil at all, need as much airflow as possible around the coil and the cotton being straight as possible will draw juice faster.
My Recent Cloud Chasing Builds with Wicking:
20151120_163133-jpg.34153
20151120_163114-jpg.34155

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The Swiss Roll Method is the Only Cloud Chasing Method, Roll enough to be snug in your coil, clip the cotton so ends TOUCH the deck and fluff it...Nothing should go under the coil at all, need as much airflow as possible around the coil and the cotton being straight as possible will draw juice faster.
My Recent Cloud Chasing Builds with Wicking:
20151120_163133-jpg.34153
20151120_163114-jpg.34155
+1

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need to check out vape game heard some good things.
Another I need to scope out is on divison and one downtown.
EVL last I was there was shy on stuff heavy on tude and out of a ton of juices.
Fatboy Vapors in Gresham is worth checking out!

cloudsbroclouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
i am seeing more rayon in comps these days. like raymo2u said you want maximum airflow and rayon done right will give you that easier than cotton will.

View attachment 2691
That's me wicked, pretty much the exact same process Hitman4274 describes. I get a good 4 clouds before I'm chancing a slight dry bite at the end of my next hit. Granted this is only a .12 build.

I wick mine like hitman4274 but I use a 2ml syringe with a 18g needle I stick it sideways through cotton a lil bit into coil inject juice till it squeezes between each coils the I slide the needle straight down in each tail till it touch bottom of juice well and inject cotton as I slowly pull it out you know your all good because you cotton turn kinda translucent I get 18 to twenty hits before I gotta inject my RDA again best way I've found so far sometimes I put a lil pool of juice under the coil between the tails to

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No owl anything east of the Mississippi and north of the mason dixion line is occupied and no longer free....I avoid it at all costs.
Ptown is Portland due to the sheer volume of adult businesses and more strip joints per capita..
Oh many a memory of Mary's Club, Magic Garden (sadly I heard it closed), Union Jacks and one of the best Steak Houses there is, the Acropolis!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh many a memory of Mary's Club, Magic Garden (sadly I heard it closed), Union Jacks and one of the best Steak Houses there is, the Acropolis!
I would not acrop steak if you paid me 100k and I was starving.
My uncle did slaughter work for the owner and trust me that shit should not be fed to wildlife.
Guess also why the health department has damn near shut them down every year.

LOL I won a royal flush jackpot at Mary's back in the 90s on video poker and that machine was going ape shit. nothing like being downtown with a 700 lottery win in your pocket at the skankest strip club ever... I mean customers have to load the juke box.
I took car of the original owner in her end of life and she was a card and a half, the stories she told of the corruption was epic.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would not acrop steak if you paid me 100k and I was starving.
My uncle did slaughter work for the owner and trust me that shit should not be fed to wildlife.
Guess also why the health department has damn near shut them down every year.

LOL I won a royal flush jackpot at Mary's back in the 90s on video poker and that machine was going ape shit. nothing like being downtown with a 700 lottery win in your pocket at the skankest strip club ever... I mean customers have to load the juke box.
I took car of the original owner in her end of life and she was a card and a half, the stories she told of the corruption was epic.
Oh still love Acropolis ;)

You remember the Church of Elvis? I really miss that place, lost my T-Shirts though when I lost everything when I was out of work for 3 years back during the .com bomb. :sad:

That would have been epic with the original owner of Mary's Club, it's an NW icon.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh still love Acropolis ;)

You remember the Church of Elvis? I really miss that place, lost my T-Shirts though when I lost everything when I was out of work for 3 years back during the .com bomb. :sad:

That would have been epic with the original owner of Mary's Club, it's an NW icon.
Shame that Lotus is getting torn down or is torn down and varible quandry also.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shame that Lotus is getting torn down or is torn down and varible quandry also.
Sucks, everywhere you go in the country now every city is getting gutted, what makes the city unique and wonderful is being replaced by vanilla, national chain shit. Soon no matter where you go in the country it's going to be the same from where you left.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sucks, everywhere you go in the country now every city is getting gutted, what makes the city unique and wonderful is being replaced by vanilla, national chain shit. Soon no matter where you go in the country it's going to be the same from where you left.
3000 a month closet micro condos.

VU Sponsors