Become a Patron!

Wicking the Goblin

Evo8U24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have had this Goblin for about 4 days and done 3 builds, 2 of them were 26g kanthal around a 2.5 mm screwdriver coming out to. 2 ohm. The last (and current build) is 28g around a 2.5 mm screwdriver reading .8 ohm and I prefer this much more. My question is is anyone else having problems with wicking? I've watched Trevor Jones video countless times but my wicking is only going threw one chamber. I've yet to experience a dry hit but I do get a hint of one at higher wattages right now I'm currently at 30w 4.9v with this .8 build no dry hits at all but still only wide juice well is wicking.

Professor Snape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have found that my Goblin is so tight that I'm using 28g around a 2.0 mm screwdriver. My dual coil build came out to 1.1 ohms that I'm currently running at 22W. I have not experienced a wicking problem with the Goblin, but I am having a wicking problem with my Lemo Drop single coil.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have found that my Goblin is so tight that I'm using 28g around a 2.0 mm screwdriver. My dual coil build came out to 1.1 ohms that I'm currently running at 22W. I have not experienced a wicking problem with the Goblin, but I am having a wicking problem with my Lemo Drop single coil.

I've got a Lemo coming in the mail. I did a bit of research on it before I bought it. Butt Kickers did an interesting tutorial on building it using a wicking technique I've never seen with a Kayfun style setup. I was interested in it enough that I pulled out an old Kayfun that I had not used for ages and tried it. FWIW, I've wicked it twice now and found it very dependable both times. My Lemo should be here next week and I'll be doing the same with it.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I've got a Lemo coming in the mail. I did a bit of research on it before I bought it. Butt Kickers did an interesting tutorial on building it using a wicking technique I've never seen with a Kayfun style setup. I was interested in it enough that I pulled out an old Kayfun that I had not used for ages and tried it. FWIW, I've wicked it twice now and found it very dependable both times. My Lemo should be here next week and I'll be doing the same with it.

Thanks for the wicking link, I just watched the video and may have to try it. Not sure I have that kind of patience though. LOL You said your attempts were very dependable, how long did each wick last??

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I have nothing to add, but my dirty mind loves the title of this thread. "So my wife walked in on me while I was Wicking the Goblin."

I didn't want to be the one to mention that, but I've actually started using this phrase. lol It has a myriad of meanings.
"I can't get this device to work - it's as tough as wicking a goblin."
"I'm bored; who's up for a game of Wicking the Goblin?"
"Hurry up - ya got Goblins ta wick!"

and I mentally fill in the blank for @Professor Snape 's (fragment of his post): "my Goblin is so tight that..." haha

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the wicking link, I just watched the video and may have to try it. Not sure I have that kind of patience though. LOL You said your attempts were very dependable, how long did each wick last??

You're welcome :). I vaped my main DIY juice in it which is a really gunky mix of pralenes and cream, bavarian cream, a mild menthol and a touch of a couple of other goodies. I did it at 0.9 ohms with rayon in a mech mod. In a Cyclone RDA with dual coils at 0.35'ish ohms I typically get around 10 ml though it before I dry burn and replace the rayon. I got about the same 10 ml through the Kayfun the first time. I dry burned it and put a new wick in after that and vaped a few ml just to make sure it was wicking well again and put it away.

It didn't really take that long to do. I think these things are harder to do on camera than off cam. I took my time and spent maybe 6 or 7 minutes on it the first time and then no mare than 4-5 the second time.

When I said dependable, I meant each time I wicked it it performed well with no flooding or dry hits. I vaped that atty for a little while and never really got the hang of wicking it. It was always a bit hit and miss for me. I know that 0.9 ohms is on the low side for these things on a mech, but if I go any higher than that it's just not a worthwhile vape for me.

Hope that helps and if you do try it let us know how it works out for you
JC_cheers.gif

Evo8U24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
era informative stuff guys thanks! As for the Lemo Drop I've never had a wicking problem with it. If you guys want I can post a video next time I do my wicking

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have nothing to add, but my dirty mind loves the title of this thread. "So my wife walked in on me while I was Wicking the Goblin."

I was thinking more along the lines of "Spanking The Monkey":rolleyes:

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With the Goliath now in hand I took my Goblin to the tool bench. After watching Butt Kickers Review of the Cthulu I decided I needed to open up the juice channels a bit on the Goblin and put a build on it to start running it on the SMPL. I reamed out the juice channels with a 7/32" drill bit and filed down the top of the center post (short screws, V1). I figured what the hell, I got the tank for free from UD in a contest when they released it. Anyway, I slapped a 2.5mm 24 ga 7 wrap (0.2 ohms on the Sig) fairly low to the deck and trimmed the wick to sit on the deck on top of the juice wells. I screwed the chimney on two threads and used some kanthal to shove any little bits trapped in the juice well back up to the deck. Filled her up and had a rip. Works PERFECT on the mech mod. Rocks up to about 60 watts on the Sig 100+. A tip on leaky fill screws too... take the time to dry the screw and the hold with a rolled paper towel prior to putting the screw in. Worked wonders for me. This thing can sit on its side for hours and no leaks from anywhere.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
era informative stuff guys thanks! As for the Lemo Drop I've never had a wicking problem with it. If you guys want I can post a video next time I do my wicking

I think my Lemo is at the post office waiting to be picked up this evening. I'm in for the video Evo8U24. The way I see it I can't learn too much about it, so bring it on :)

Evo8U24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry guys out of town on an emergency call for work the past 3 weeks, I've had limited WiFi connection I will be home tomorrow finally! I will post the video tomorrow. Apologies

Evo8U24

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have the Lemo Drop wicking tutorial recorded but for some odd reason it won't let me upload it

Walker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As for the Lemo Drop I've never had a wicking problem with it.

^^^^ this.

"max VG" and "high watt" are both ambiguous terms, but the wicking process in that video seemed painfully and overly complicated to me.

I mix at about 70% VG and run around 25W. That's probably not "max" or "high", but a basic quick and simple wick works just fine on my Lemo Drop.... and takes a fraction of the time.

VU Sponsors