Wicking.

Discussion in 'New Builders Corner' started by Naheed, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Naheed

Naheed New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys,

I just have some issues wicking my RTA's. I am using japanese cotton and have also tried cotton bacon v2 with no luck. Based on my research I read that the fibers have to aligned. How do I align the fibers?

Thanks

2. Khassy

Khassy Diamond Contributor

Blog Posts:
    The fibers are already aligned in pads and Cotton Bacon. Aligning fibers is really only a concern if using something like cotton balls, and it's to make it easier to shove the cotton into the coil.

3. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    You have to use the Japanese cotton pads in the right direction. they have aligned fibers in one direction.

Letitia9 likes this.
  4. skt239

skt239 VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    You can tell which way the fibers go by pulling on a pad of cotton.

Letitia9 and The Cromwell like this.
  5. KingPin!

KingPin! Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Which product are you trying to wick, see if we can talk you through it :)

In both cases here the fibres run the length of the cotton rather than the width

Letitia9 likes this.
  6. Naheed

Naheed New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thamk you for the replies.
    Is there anyway I can tell on the right direction? Because I think when I take a drag juice does not flow into the coil properly, which is why there is lack of flavor and sometimes cottony taste.

7. Naheed

Naheed New Member

Blog Posts:
    How do I pull the cotton pad to find out? Vertically or horizontally?

8. Naheed

Naheed New Member

Blog Posts:
    I am currently trying to wick the kayfun prime clone which I just purchases recently as I like MTL. I have also tried goblin mini V3, serpent mini, Serpent RDTA and Merlin Mini with no luck. I think wicking is a issue and I don't really know what I am doing wrong.

The Cromwell likes this.
  9. KingPin!

Blog Posts:

Have a watch from 31 minutes See if this helps

The Cromwell and Letitia9 like this.
  10. Naheed

Naheed New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I have watched this video alot of times. I can't make the cotton fluffy like that.. Any ideas on how to prep cotton before putting it through the coil.

11. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    What size coil are you using? I always use the Scottish roll wicking method regardless of what cotton it is ..I don’t have the prime so can’t show you on this deck itself

For muji (the photo below are koh gen do but it’s similar)

You’ll want about a third of the pad for a 2mm coil and just under half for 3mm

Once cut, tear the top and bottom sheet off

Now spread the pad out sideway and longways so it becomes see through (try to keep fibres in tact, see how they run longways here) here you don’t want any holes appearing. Something similar to this (this was for 3mm)

F3ED1AA5-3A9A-4F6B-8725-FC0674368364.jpeg

Now roll it up

EAA3CBA6-8E6C-4EAF-A136-2F133F32BCD4.jpeg

Twist the end and feed it through the coil. It should be snug but not overly tight that it starts moving the coil out of position

Move back and forth let it settle into the coil

Snip away as per the vid above

To fluff up the ends can just strum them with tweezers or your finger.

Also thin them out a bit using tweezer (rake the cotton from the coil outwards gently)

Now cut away excess fluff as per vid and follow the rest of it

Note: you can do exactly the same for CB just tear a strip from the pad and follow the above, takes a little bit longer to get used to it this way and keep it square but still works

What I find helps is take pictures as you go of each step until you nail it for that atty ....you can then look back and modify what you did along the way and keep the pics that worked best

12. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    You will notice a difference between wicking speed between CB and Muji at least I do, also break in time is quicker for CB ...so depending on how well the tank wicks you might be better using one or the other

This bit is trial and error

13. Naheed

Naheed New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for tips and advise.. I tried to wick it that way and by rolling the cotton after removing the outer layers. This is what it came out to. Still getting muted flavor. 1.2 ohm build 28 gauge on 2.5mm. Don't really know whats wrong in here.. Anything you find please let me know. Thanks..

Attached Files:

14. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Wicking looks good I assume you aren’t getting a dried hit or flooding now?

Out of interest what PG/VG ratio are you using?

Also what flavour concentrate level are you going with?

You might need to increase the flavour concentration, gonna ask someone I know vapes on MTL almost exclusively @AndriaD she will be better placed to help you I think

15. Naheed

Naheed New Member

Blog Posts:
    I do get flooding and gurgling for a while and than it becomes ok after few puffs. Flooding usually after refilling. The ratio I use is 70/30 (VG/PG) and have no idea about concentration level as I buy the premade juices.

16. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Try cutting less cotton away from the ends perhaps?

17. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    This also can work with rayon. Thanks for the still photos too. A bit different than seeing it on a video done rather quick, gives a touch more insight.

KingPin! likes this.
  18. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Never used rayon it shrinks doesn’t it magicmist as supposed to expands? Is it a case of adding more to begin with?

MyMagicMist likes this.
  19. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Yes it does shrink, though you do well thinning out the "legs" outside the coil. Create a waterfall or cascading effect and leave ends frayed and scatter out like tiny tree roots. You then want the tree "trunk" up in coil itself to spread the juice out. :)

KingPin! likes this.
  20. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Help what? I didn't see what the question/problem was.

My wicking looks like this:

mysimplecoil.jpg

Shiseido japanese cotton, which I love for their pure white color, and the size of the pads is perfect for the long strips the Achilles needs. Most RTAs, you let the wick ends rest on some type of ledge or shelf, but not overflow the ledge/shelf, or the wick will block the juice channel too much, leading to dry hits. If it doesn't quite reach the ledge/shelf, then you get a different kind of dry hit, the kind that tastes like metal instead of burnt cotton.

Andria

KingPin! likes this.
  21. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Do you use a kayfun Prime Andria apologies if you don’t and tagging you... OP is having issues wicking it and I’m trying to help albeit not successfully so far :(

22. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    No, an Achilles. Only kayfun I've used is the Kayfun Lite Plus. The wicking for the original Lemo is very similar to the KFL+.

Andria

23. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Sorry my bad

24. Naheed

Naheed New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I have noticed one thing about my coil. When I tighten it the coil doesn't sit on the deck straight its always a little bent from the bottom. (The bottom wraps I mean) Can that effect flavor? I have seen videos where the coil is straight from the bottom. My coil is little bent from the middle when it sits on the deck. I don't know if that bent would be visible on the picture but I will try posting it for you to have a look.

Thanks

25. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it makes a huge difference really. None of my coils are "picture perfect," but they vape well enough, which is all that's necessary.

Andria