Become a Patron!

Wide Bore Madness

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good Morning VU.

So I recently had a run in with the Dead Rabbit RDA and experienced a new (to me) trend that's becoming the norm. Massive 810 drip tips for a dinky single coil RDA. I thought it was the absolute worst idea ever, especially for a 22mm single coil RDA. I love the looks of the thing, all pretty with the resin, but boy did it completely kill the flavor. I don't get it. You have RDA's with a slightly restricted lung hit and then a massive chimney of a drip tip on top. Am I the only one that thinks this is a terrible idea?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well it comes down to the smoke your are looking to mimic... that as From a xxxx or a pipe or cigarettes.

But yeah big open drips kill all flavor for me. It getting hard to find non massive air flowing 510 tips these days.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I responded to this issue in the Drip Tip sub-forum. My husband has been turning resin tips. He and I did some measurements last night. Maybe he'll do some turning today. I'm hoping to test and present 2 prototypes soon. I'll post a new thread about it in that forum.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate that there's no standard size between the two, 510 and 810. It's like having to choose between a mazda miata and a hummer. The short wide bore tips look sexy, more than skinny taller 510's but realistically they're not practical for me. My lips always hit the top cap using the shorter wide bore and 810 is too airy for me. I've probably got bitch lungs from smoking so there's that. I'd agree, everything is 810 now even when it doesn't make sense.

Even on dual coil 24mm rda's the 810's were too much. Got one made with a 9mm inner bore that's a nice happy medium between 510 and 810 and couldn't be happier. It's a little more narrow but still wide enough to drip down the center. Most 510's seem to be around 6mm diameter, wide bore 810's are around 11.2mm. The diameter itself isn't quite double but when factoring the area of a circle (open airflow) an 810 is around 3.5x more than a 510. That's a hefty jump.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Its simple, " clouds bro "! :p

It could have something to do with more and more wire being used to build a coil thus giving the coil more wire mass. Given the enough battery juice, single coils can really put out. That's my guess.

Im with you guys and prefer the smaller bore chimney that matches the bore of a 510 drip tip. Gimme that flavor! :D

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Well, we'll have to wait a bit. Right before I told my husband of our 810 quest he ordered resin blanks that may not be quite wide enough for the base. We have 2-3 ideas though. Hopefully he can eek one out this weekend.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hubby's in the garage with my Pulse24 cap and ultem tip. I stumbled upon two 810 tips I bought for my Baby Beast but of course only work with the larger Beasts. Has someone tried taking the o-rings off of a v-12 tank and tried it? The mouthpiece is certainly smaller.

I didn't take my o-rings off mine in fear I'd break them. I have some BBB and Princes in a few carts.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Good Morning VU.

So I recently had a run in with the Dead Rabbit RDA and experienced a new (to me) trend that's becoming the norm. Massive 810 drip tips for a dinky single coil RDA. I thought it was the absolute worst idea ever, especially for a 22mm single coil RDA. I love the looks of the thing, all pretty with the resin, but boy did it completely kill the flavor. I don't get it. You have RDA's with a slightly restricted lung hit and then a massive chimney of a drip tip on top. Am I the only one that thinks this is a terrible idea?

Can't believe I'm just seeing this thread - personally I DETEST 810 DTs - and it really pisses me off when atties are released with 810s and no 510 adaptor :headbang:

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Here is one alternative we're looking at. Making it smoothly taper on the inside may pose a challenge. He's also got an idea for more of a staggered exterior look that comes straight up after a step. If that makes sense.

810 Alternative.jpg

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
510s here on all but the Drop. Primarily use Trinity GlassTank Co. nip dts.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Here is one alternative we're looking at. Making it smoothly taper on the inside may pose a challenge. He's also got an idea for more of a staggered exterior look that comes straight up after a step. If that makes sense.

View attachment 105675
Looks like the Nano dts. I personally wouldn't like using the staggered, would not enjoy the feel of it.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It would actually be just a step up then in to a straight mouthpiece.

VIOLA! His first attempt and it's perfect! Not sanded or polished. Hold on while I resize. woot.....

Last edited:

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
To be honest I love these drip tips but that's just personal preference I guess, but I do think if atties come as this, 810 to 510 adapter and 810 more narrow tips or/and caps/sleeves should be included. We not looking at RDA or rta's that are 5-10 bucks but most likely nowadays in the higher $30-55 range, and that should be included so people can chose whwhat they like, I personally exchanged all my tips to 810 wide bores lol.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
To be honest I love these drip tips but that's just personal preference I guess, but I do think if atties come as this, 810 to 510 adapter and 810 more narrow tips or/and caps/sleeves should be included. We not looking at RDA or rta's that are 5-10 bucks but most likely nowadays in the higher $30-55 range, and that should be included so people can chose whwhat they like, I personally exchanged all my tips to 810 wide bores lol.

I am not in any way bashing people who like and use 810s - just not for me

I now have a nice collection of adaptors for the few that I get that might not have one included - but when 810s first started coming out, you were kinda fucked - like the OG Goon didn't come with an adaptor, and the Griffin was about the only one out that had an adaptor. I think Kennedy had one, but they were like $8 extra for a little ring of plastic

Last edited:

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
It isn't sanded or polished and it's not smooth running all the way up, but the measurements are perfect!
The mouthpiece is exactly the circumfrance of the inner diam. of the 810. There is NO AIR RESTRICTION.
Outer diam. of mouthpiece is 10.9mm, interior is 8.6mm. Seats itself perfectly in the Pulse24.
Not bad for a prototype! His base isn't completely flat but he was concerned more on the fit and form.
The internal bore on these will be wider than a 510. Closer to the Clieto opening. Wadda ya think? Call it the 650? :teehee:

610 Prototype 1b.jpg 610 Prototype 1a.jpg

Last edited:

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Here are the originals as thumbs so you can expand them.

Attachments

• 610 Prototype 1b.jpg
    610 Prototype 1b.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 610 Prototype 1a.jpg
    610 Prototype 1a.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 9

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah the massive air flow for the "Clouds Bro's". Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a healthy thick vape but too much air totally kills the flavor just like top air flow, that's why I won't even bother with the Dead Rabbit. Anyway I have some atty's that have massive air but I significantly cut down the air so I can get a rich, dense Vape with some flavor.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yeah the massive air flow for the "Clouds Bro's". Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a healthy thick vape but too much air totally kills the flavor just like top air flow, that's why I won't even bother with the Dead Rabbit. Anyway I have some atty's that have massive air but I significantly cut down the air so I can get a rich, dense Vape with some flavor.

He can make your tip as narrow as you want. The bottom is solid and just a straight up shot.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Thanks. He's come to really enjoy turning tips. I'm sure he'll make different colors and finished products tomorrow. We're to have rain tomorrow and Monday. I guess he won't be outside sanding the paint off of his old CJ7.

He also makes 510's and Clietos. The 510's are of all inner bore dimensions. Tight to lose & any shape and color. The Clietos can be anything; short, tall, restricted, nonrestrictive, etc. But I'm so glad he came up with a viable solution to the dreaded car tail pipe size.

@JuicyLucy great idea on getting the adapters. If you want to widen your airflow a bit more, you know where to find me.
:p

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
@JuicyLucy great idea on getting the adapters. If you want to widen your airflow a bit more, you know where to find me.

I actually don't mind the width of 810 DTs - its the ungodly amount of air you inhale with the vapor

Actually its a great concept :cheers:

I paid up the ying yang for some of those Signature Tips from England that fit in a 510 (for the Hadaly) but had the OD mouthpiece the width of a 810 but the ID the same or maybe a hair more than a typical 510 - I think I explained that right o_O

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Here is a photo comparison in case my explanation was incomprehensible :giggle:

That is a regular 810 on the right in black, the 510 with an 810 width and 510 airflow in pinkish on the left

810 510 compare.jpg

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Point taken from both end users. Great visual point, Lucy. I sent Chuck the pic.
I'm not looking to make anything on new kinds of dts. But when I told Chuck about my fancy dts and how much they cost, his brows went up and said that he had a lathe. Chuck does his own thing, his own money, his own ideas. I'm happy to have led him in a direction were he could put his new craft to fruition. Polished prototypes will be sent to those who would try and comment on them for free of course.

I agree. We need a happy medium between the two. It will be interesting to see your comments. @skt239 You haven't chimed in as OP on the discussion since you posted. Your thoughts?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is a photo comparison in case my explanation was incomprehensible :giggle:

That is a regular 810 on the right in black, the 510 with an 810 width and 510 airflow in pinkish on the left

View attachment 105684
Point taken from both end users. Great visual point, Lucy. I sent Chuck the pic.
I'm not looking to make anything on new kinds of dts. But when I told Chuck about my fancy dts and how much they cost, his brows went up and said that he had a lathe. Chuck does his own thing, his own money, his own ideas. I'm happy to have led him in a direction were he could put his new craft to fruition. Polished prototypes will be sent to those who would try and comment on them for free of course.

I agree. We need a happy medium between the two. It will be interesting to see your comments. @skt239 You haven't chimed in as OP on the discussion since you posted. Your thoughts?
Simple fix, there's cheap adapters out there and I'm sure Fasttech has them. Here's some from efun

https://www.efun.top/810-to-510-dri...8-tfv12-tank-528-goon-kennedy-reload-rda.html

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Geez. I have a Boreas I haven't opened yet but have meant to. Chuck and I just had a 20 min discussion on the thread. I'm going to send you a proto to your specs, Lucy. PM me on what you want. Color, too.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Geez. I have a Boreas I haven't opened yet but have meant to. Chuck and I just had a 20 min discussion on the thread. I'm going to send you a proto to your specs, Lucy. PM me on what you want. Color, too.

Very nice - are these acrylic?

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Good Morning VU.

Someone on VU once described vaping on those wide ass drip tips as like giving a Blowjob to a tailpipe lol

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Very nice - are these acrylic?

Yes. They are acrylic. He used boring colors to test at first - black and white. The white one is 510 all the way through and damned pretty! He sanded and polished it. Looks perfect. Today he made the two 810s with a 510 bore. One that's a 510 bore all the way through (white) with a the pretty standard 510 opening and one that is 510 at the base and widens slightly for a tad more air (iridescent shades of purple). They're really nice.

They look great on a flat cap with no internal seat like the Pulse and a protruding cap. Although, the one with a protruding cap, like the Kylin Mini, it has a seat inside the cap. Meaning the fit of the 810 insert needs to be shortened so there is no space to be completely flush. Also, an atty that has a protruding 810 dt seat could have the 810 run straight up with either the hole of a 510 bore (4.6mm) or the wider bore as in the Kylin of (6.6mm). For a fully open dripper like the Pulse, he can do anything.

I'll be away for about 2hrs. I took photos but need to resize them. Be back in a bit.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yes. They are acrylic. He used boring colors to test at first - black and white. The white one is 510 all the way through and damned pretty!

They are kick ass looking - but sadly I have to decline - I can't use acrylic without an SS insert :tantrum:

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Awww, Lucy! May I ask why? If you prefer not to comment, no problem-o.

So, here's the finished first design. They are all press-fit, assuming you have an interior o-ring. Any design is possible.
1. 810 base, fluted to a standard 510 tip and 510 bore straight through (White)
2. 810 base, 510 bore but fluted slightly mid stream for more vapor, but not choking vapor (Purple)
3. 810 base and taken straight up with a smaller mouth opening. No air restriction (Black)

The insides are now polished. First photo is so you can see the bore.

If any of you are interested in trying his first run, PM me. :)

Attachments

• 3 810 versions1.1.jpg
    3 810 versions1.1.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 810 to 510-2.1.jpg
    810 to 510-2.1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 5
  • White Profile2.jpg
    White Profile2.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Purple profile1.jpg
    Purple profile1.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

So, here's the finished first design. They are all press-fit, assuming you have an interior o-ring. Any design is possible.
2. 810 base, 510 bore but fluted slightly mid stream for more vapor, but not choking vapor (Purple)
3. 810 base and taken straight up with a smaller mouth opening. No air restriction (Black)
4. 810 comparison tips

Later will show how not all tips sit the same. All tank specific.
Last, some 810s to compare airflow.
(The purple needs to be sanded flush, but this one it isn't noticeable unless you really look.)

I've left them all thumbs so you can see the larger photos.
If any of you are interested in trying his first run, PM me. They are yours free to try for your comments. :)

To my back luck - I taste acrylic - even high grade stuff :eek:

These are gorgeous though - really something to be proud of

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

4. 810 comparison tips

Later will show how not all tips sit the same. All tank specific.
Last, some 810s to compare airflow.
(The purple needs to be sanded flush, but this one it isn't noticeable unless you really look.)

I've left them all thumbs so you can see the larger photos.
If any of you are interested in trying his first run, PM me. They are yours free to try for your comments. :)
Most impressive Trixy! Your hubby does fine work on the lathe. I tip my ball cap.:vino:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Never heard of that. Bummer.

I'm a super-taster - have about four times the normal number of taste buds - it sucks; I also smell things other people can't

My sensitivity to acrylic began about a year and a half ago when I was still recovering from smoking - its why I piffed out many wonderful DTs

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trixy: I have to agree about ID issues, and "standards" overall - the latter vary madly, (look even at 510 connectors).

But that said, the damned ID (and OD) diameters vary madly on the DT. And the idiotic shapes, sheesh. He might want to consider a light taper design on the OD dims to "fit" better, and remember you can 'bell' the inside of a tube to alter the velocity of the air as well. "Venturi effect".

he might even consider an "adapter" - and lords, the manufacturers are doing the damnedset things now - even threaded, proprietary tips - without adapters.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Great suggestions, @PoppaVic . I'll have him look at your response.

The white dt he made is 510 ID straight up and feels like a 510 to my mouth with the OD. I see where he can make them shorter but the lips would make contact with the base. I had him make these to cater to those that wanted the 510 experience and one that had a 510 hole but wider ID at the tip. The very first black prototype earlier on in this discussion was his attempt at keeping it full bore for my Kylin Mini which has a narrowed air channel as to not have any restricted airflow - if that makes sense. I know these look like baby nipples but the shapes can have a step then straight up for a full dripper. If I'm not understanding what you're saying, draw me a sample of what you mean. I know, not all of us were born to draw. At least me.

The bottom of a full open dripper would need to do a step or two (like stairs) inward to one's desired airflow. I know he can do it. But there are ways to do it where the dt would look pretty funky. Hmmm, maybe that's good. lol

VU Sponsors