Become a Patron!

Widowmaker RDA by El Mono Vapeador & Vandyvape

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Widowmaker RDA by El Mono Vapeador & Vandyvape. The Widowmaker RDA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ariel from Vandyvape.

http://www.vandyvape.com/atomizer/rda/at...maker-rda/

Introduction

Vandyvape are firing product out of late and here we have their latest RDA the Widowmaker a collaboration with El Mono Vapeador a Spanish Youtube reviewer. The main marketing of this RDA is the 6 in 1 but really it comes with 3 different airflow sleeves but you can also take the top-cap off and with each sleeve use the provided chuff cap, why not call it a 9 in 1 as it also comes with a 510 adaptor. The RDA has 4 short posts using a drop in method and the inner barrel really gives you more like the room to fit your build and wicking as a 22mm rather than the 24mm RDA the Widowmaker is. The airflow comes in very high and is directed down making the Widowmaker very suitable for squonking but are all those different sleeves necessary? I give my thoughts.

In The Box

Contents:

1x Widowmaker RDA
1x Chuff Cap
1x 510 drip tip adaptor
BF pin
2x Extra Airflow Rings (all airflow rings different)
2x Coils
1x screw driver
2x Allen keys
1x User manual
Spare parts

Aesthetics

I received the Widowmaker RDA in the usual Blue cardboard packaging that Vandyvape samples come in. On opening the box i was met by a trio of Widowmaker logo engravings, one on the installed sleeve of the RDA and the others on the 2 extra sleeves. I received the Gold version that in my opinion looks rather nice, it's also available in Matte Black, Stainless Steel, Gun Metal and 7-Colour. The RDA is completely gold with the already mentioned Widowmaker logo on the front, engraved rather than printed (most people i would imagine prefer the understated engraving rather than in your face printed logo). The pre-installed airflow sleeve has dual honeycomb airflow which are made up of 3 rows of 5 small holes either side. The joint where the sleeve meets the barrel is clearly visible and at the top there is a stepped look made by the top-cap. The pre-installed 810 is a goon style fitting, it has a dark semi-transparent look. Moving to the base we have etched safety stamps and branding, the Widowmaker comes with a standard 510 pin installed which is hybrid safe. Apart from some scuffs on the inner surface of the deck that can't be seen the rest of the machining and finish is high quality.

Widowmaker RDA Specs and Features:

Diameter: 24mm
Length: 20.5mm (without drip tip & 510)
Juice well capacity: 1ml
Dual posts build deck
Quad terminals
Single / dual coil configuration
Adjustable side airflow
Comes with squonk pin
Six different modes in usage
Three adjustable airflow caps for free combination
Leaking-proof design
Thread: 510
Colours: Matte Black, Stainless Steel, Gold, Gun Metal, 7-Colour

It's Various Parts

The Widowmaker is made up of 4 parts not including the drip tip which are, the deck, the inner barrel, the outer sleeve and the top-cap. You get 2 extra outer sleeves all 3 have different styles of dual airflow. You can take the sleeve off and by pushing upwards from the inside remove the top-cap, this now allows the chuff cap to be fitted. The barrel fits over the deck locking in position, this is stepped inwards so the upper section allows the sleeve to be placed over.

Supplied Coils

You get provided with a pair of coils with full specs given. They are a pair of fused Claptons ID 2.8, Ni80 26ga*2+35ga 6 wraps 0.3ohm. I suppose as pictured you could do a single build but for the airflow design to be effective it would need to be a very chunky coil.

The Airflow

As mentioned you get 3 different outer sleeves all with different dual airflow styles, pre-installed as mentioned is the honeycomb style, each side has 3 rows of 5 small holes. The other two sleeves comprise of one having a large hole each side and the other very short cyclops, straightaway looking at all 3 they will give variants of a restricted lung hit, this RDA is not for the cloud chasers.
The inner barrel fits over the deck and steps in above the deck to allow for the sleeve to fit over which also reduces the chamber to that more like a 22mm deck RDA. On this top section of the barrel both sides we have the airflow inlets, there is a plate that's angled downwards so the airflow on the sleeve can be high (which it is). The air comes through the outer sleeve and hits the angled plate which forces it downwards entering the deck aimed at the very bottom of the sides of the coils and underneath giving bottom airflow with a touch of side. The barrel locks in position lined up with where the coils will be installed then the outer sleeve can be turned to adjust the airflow, the sleeves move with nice tolerance but there is no stopper.

The Deck and Build

The deck uses a drop in method with 4 short posts then you drop your coil legs in the terminals from above and tighten your screws from the sides. There are 4 cutouts on the decks outer wall to allow access with your allen key which is well thought out. The deck is very practical and well made but the machining isn't the greatest there are plenty of scuff marks and i have the Gold version that is quite good at hiding them, after saying that it doesn't affect anything and in use can't be seen and the machining and finish on the outside of the Widowmaker is excellent. You need to pre-cut your coil legs i would say 5.5mm is perfect but at 5mm or 6mm your good. Fitting your coils couldn't be easier just drop them in the terminals and tighten your screws, then with a coiling rod or fit for purpose tool if needed manipulate your coils into the perfect position. The only thing to bare in mind is when the barrel with airflow system is placed over the deck the space is reduced so position your coils not too close to the sides of the deck and i would be sticking to 4mm ID absolute max, 3mm or 3.5mm are ideal in my opinion. The RDA doesn't have a deep well so when wicking i cut my wicks bow tie style then just tucked them down, as long as you bare in mind the barrel the build on the Widowmaker is a doddle.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

My Experience Using The Widowmaker

I fitted the supplied BF pin as i really only use RDA's that way but there is no reason why the Widowmaker won't be just as suitable as a standard dripper. I tried both the 810 and chuff cap but personally much preferred using the 810 but that's just my preference. I also tried all three sleeves but very quickly decided only one was suitable. The build was using the supplied fused claptons that came out at 0.14ohms which i settled at 60w with. The sleeve with a large hole either side was restricted and turbulent i didn't like it at all, the sleeve with mini cyclops i found even more restrictive (too restricted for me) but less turbulent again won't be using this again. Using both these sleeves did give good flavour but i don't like turbulence and despite liking quite a bit of restriction they both gave too much. The honeycomb sleeve was a completely different story it's still gives restriction but not too much and is so smooth as well as giving top notch flavour. Like i said i think the Widowmaker will work equally as well as a standard dripper but is great to squonk with and with the outer airflow being so high you would need to squonk like a madman to get leaking from this. I did get slight spit back but nothing dramatic and once the build settled down it behaved, very nice!

Final Thoughts

I imagine getting 3 sleeves is included in the price, my advice to Vandyvape would be forget the 2 extra sleeves and just keep the honeycomb. Reduce the price accordingly then you have a cracking RDA at a cracking price!

Build quality good
Apart from deck surface nice machining and finish
Aesthetically pleasing (in my opinion)
3 airflow sleeves (only liked one myself)
Supplied coils with full specs
810, chuff cap and 510 adaptor
Included BF pin
Good colour choices
No leaking when squonking (high outer airflow)
Smooth airflow honeycomb sleeve
Good flavour 2 extra sleeves
Very good flavour honeycomb sleeve
Very easy build

Cons

Didn't like airflow with either of the two extra sleeves
Machining on deck inner surface not the best
Restricted lung hit only

I would once again like to thank Ariel from Vandyvape for supplying the Widowmaker RDA for the purpose of this review.

http://www.vandyvape.com/atomizer/rda/at...maker-rda/

VU Sponsors