Become a Patron!

Will nylon polyester polypropylene thread I got at the hardware store work?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, so I've had my first vape for about a week now and it may be time to rebuild the coil and wick soon. I was just at home depot and picked up a big spool of thread/twine that says it contains nylon, polyester, and polypropylene. Is this safe to use as a wick? It's about the same thickness. I have a CE5 eGo by the way.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I hope you are joking......

NO, it isn't good to wick with!

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Adding in....

THAT style of clearo is not really rebuildable. Not like you think it is.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Please try it out and let us know what happens. I doubt it will kill you but it will certainly give us something to laugh about.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I just looked over your many contributions to the forum.......................?

Perhaps the others reading this thread should do so as well to make their own conclusions.

But per the subject at hand.............

Take ALL of your CE5s, put them in the same bag as your new wicking material and set the whole mess on fire.

We will do anything we can to help out actual new vapers.

But not a lick to feed trolls!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_nc6h75L9Eg1qdsvybo1_500_zpst4xg4zta.gif

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi, so I've had my first vape for about a week now and it may be time to rebuild the coil and wick soon. I was just at home depot and picked up a big spool of thread/twine that says it contains nylon, polyester, and polypropylene. Is this safe to use as a wick? It's about the same thickness. I have a CE5 eGo by the way.
Rebuild a CE5? Seriously???

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't say you can't rebuild a CE5. I've already taken it apart to see if it's possible and it is. And as for the wick, I saw a video on youtube of someone who got a bunch of thread from walmart and used it on their vapes weekly. Don't be so harsh, I've only even known what a vape is for a week now.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't say you can't rebuild a CE5. I've already taken it apart to see if it's possible and it is. And as for the wick, I saw a video on youtube of someone who got a bunch of thread from walmart and used it on their vapes weekly. Don't be so harsh, I've only even known what a vape is for a week now.

They probaby were using Aunt Sally's cotton - it's for crocheting/knitting and is pure, undyed cotton, so it can be used for a wick. I have an old CE5 here, and I don't see how you got yours apart! But in any event, for any wicking you have to be extremely careful what you use (also wire!).

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You watched a youtube video, so that MUST be right, how could a youtube video be wrong?????....LOL
(4 1/2 year vape veteran here)

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They probaby were using Aunt Sally's cotton - it's for crocheting/knitting and is pure, undyed cotton, so it can be used for a wick. I have an old CE5 here, and I don't see how you got yours apart! But in any event, for any wicking you have to be extremely careful what you use (also wire!).
Perhaps the CE5 I have is a new model? I took it apart down to the wick and coil. Also, thank you for answering in a non condescending tone. I'm all new to this.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Here is my honest suggestion to help out a new vaper:

Buy an EVOD or Protank bottom coil clearomizer.

The coil heads are very inexpensive and can be easily rebuilt.

When I started vaping I went from an ego-T with a CE4 to an EVOD and it made a HUGE difference.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Perhaps the CE5 I have is a new model? I took it apart down to the wick and coil. Also, thank you for answering in a non condescending tone. I'm all new to this.

The CE5 is the one that unscrews at the bottom and the wick can be unscrewed from the base and changed out.
Correct?

The CE4 is the disposable one.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The CE5 is the one that unscrews at the bottom and the wick can be unscrewed from the base and changed out.
Correct?

Ah, then I have the disposable! I used to wash it out and just reuse it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Ah, then I have the disposable! I used to wash it out and just reuse it.

I got 2 of the disposable ones in my first Kit 2 1/2 years ago.
2 ego batteries
2 CE4's

I bought a CE5 and a pack of 5 coil heads with the order.

Then I moved to a Kanger T2 top coil clearo with an ego twist VV battery.

Then I got an EVOD bottom coil clearo and a pack of 5 EVOD/Protank heads.

The EVOD made a huge difference in flavor and vapor production.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you're going to rebuild it, use 100 % cotton or silica. I'd toss rayon in the mix but that's confusing at this point. Don't use the Home Depot stuff.

Typos brought to you by: iPhone.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That wasnt thread, it was cotton yarn.. :facepalm:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Have a pic? I have a couple of CE4s CE4+, CE5 and CE5+.. some can indeed be rewicked, carefully

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here is my honest suggestion to help out a new vaper:

Buy an EVOD or Protank bottom coil clearomizer.

The coil heads are very inexpensive and can be easily rebuilt.

When I started vaping I went from an ego-T with a CE4 to an EVOD and it made a HUGE difference.
I agree if you're talking about the old style heads on the left. The new style heads on the right are garbage and not worth screwing with in my opinion.
uO9zPLu.jpg

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I agree if you're talking about the old style heads on the left. The new style heads on the right are garbage and not worth screwing with in my opinion.
uO9zPLu.jpg

Yes, the old style heads (on the left) is the way to go for a new vaper.

They work in EVOD, Protank 1 & 2 and also Mini PT's 1 & 2.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I thought that by now the guy who always shows up and posts about the OP being up for the Darwin Award would have posted by now . I can't remember his avatar name. I always enjoy his little comments.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know , and i apologize this was not meant at the OP, was meant for that one person who does post those since they inevitably do post one of those darwin comments. I agree better they ask then seriously hurt themselves. Plus I don't wanna see a news article against vaping cause they used the wrong material for wicking. I hope he/she stops listening to whoever gave them the idea that he could use plastic polymer rope for wicking.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually, you can rebuild a CE5 as long as it's the replaceable cartridge type. CE5S I believe, top coil design, take a kanger protank, pull off the chimney, whats left is very similar to the CE5S type coil, with that said...OP not sure if you really don't know or are trolling

Derty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
uO9zPLu.jpg

Absolutely agree, i bought some heads *both single and dual coil* styles from lighting vapes, cheap as all get out. they were just the parts, bought some 30g kanthal and organic cotton and im still using the whole purchase a year later. i JUST bought more 30g kanthal 2 weeks ago because some of the heads are getting gnarly lol.

for those wondering:

I found 32g kanthal to be too flimsy and a PITA to rewick after using / cleaning. 28g seemed to have too much of a ramp time without going to 15 watts and at the time i could only stealth vape with my twist, so that was out of the question. so i tried 30g and loved it. great ramp time, easy to rewick and easy to build with.

As for the subject at hand... yeas you can rebuild them... is it fun... no... easy?... hell no... worth it? not really... TO ME there seems to be a HUGE amount of flavor muting until you hit the protank series, but even then you get more flavor out of RTA, RDA, RDTA. but if you're really after a tank i do suggest the protank series. i cannot vouch for the aspire products.. their old heads were horrible, hard to rebuild and werent worth my time. i ended up getting thinner protank head stems so they'll work in the aspire tanks i tried.

Scooby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Correct?

I remember thinking that evod was the shit when I got mine.

VU Sponsors