Become a Patron!

Windows 10?

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I bought a open box dell laptop on tueadat for 538 regular was 900. I will start with this I only need it to update my resume and maybe a lil surfing. I use my mobile devices more. Anyway yesterday I was browsing the laptop. Getting use to it. And the screen went black like if it turned off. Then screen came back and went black again probably another 3 times after that. Anyway I called bestbuy where I bought it they set me up to come in to run diagnostic and said will give me a choice whether to fix the problem or return it. If there is a problem which I doubt they will find since they probably don't want it back but question is has anyone heard of a problem like this or had this happen to them.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The last Dell laptop I had never did anything like that. I used that sucker for over 9 years. I still miss it. Windows 10 hasn't done that to me, either. When it first came out, I couldn't handle all the bugs and incompatibility. MONTHS later it installed on my computer while I was sleeping. This time, the transition was fairly smooth. There used to be a Win 10 thread here and I don't remember anyone else having this happen.

Maybe google the exact model you have, see if it's a known issue? Doesn't matter if you intend to use if for little things, or not, it shouldn't go black on you.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds like liquid damage or the open box was seriously abused.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It looks in really good shape

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My laptop has done the black screen a few times. However, its a HP and over 4 years old.
With anything electrical I shut down and start again.
There are more fixes out there but this is the only safe one I would recommend.

Electrical hitches.
Remove your laptop's battery, unplug the power, hold power the button for 1 to 2 minutes, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This one u can't take battery out. It's internal

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just my opinion, but a brand new computer shouldn't act all sketchy on ya. Since they offered to return, maybe get a different one. Somethin' ain't right..

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I actually here now and I'm trying to get them to throw a extended warranty in and there telling me no and won't even lower price. So I might just get a refund and keep it moving

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Return it and get a refund and leave ?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, unless they have something else you like. I don't usually have issues with Best Buy, but it can certainly happen.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There showing me an Lenovo with an i5 processor that they give me for same price but the dell had a i7. I'm not down grading

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice thank. I might have to check it out

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Noticed you want an i7 staples has a new one with a i7 for 550.
Not sure with taxes and shit but it is an option or if you check newegg it is back to school so smoking deals.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yea cool. I'm not trying to down grade

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just giving ya options and ideas.

But basic browsing and resume does need an i7

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's perfect. I appreciate it. I gave best buy another opportunity to throw in the warranty and she won't budge and I had another employee apologize that she wouldn't do it

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was wondering. If anyone here has an MacBook and use an external hard drive. Not sure if it works. My wife and daughter have one ea and they love it. I've messed with them and seem pretty ok. The only thing I've never liked was the hard drive space and price lol. Anyway this question is for my old lady. Can I buy like a 1tb or 2tb external hard drive and use it on a MacBook

VU Sponsors