Wine & Vape Pairings

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So I've decided to try to develop an appreciation for wines. I've never really been into them - more of a beer guy. Higher end beer, but still beer nonetheless. So, does anyone else here like to pair various juice with various wines?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Here's my first:

8s0MS1b.jpg

The first pairing I'm trying is a bold red wine with a dark chocolate vape. I know - the label says chocolate milk, but it's not even close to that. The actual flavor is more of a dark chocolate/cocoa flavor. Now I've vaped Golden Ticket on MANY occasions. After a few sips of the well aerated wine, I tried it again. I'm sitting here alone, yet actually exclaimed aloud, "Wow!". The flavors really are accented very nicely with the addition of the wine. I've yet to develop a scale, but for this first pairing I'm gonna have to say it's a definite 8/10.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gonna be watching this. My wife wants me to pick up some arbor mist and I laughed. I'm going to look for something's a little better I think. But I am interested in the pairing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Depending on my mood at the time a Good Tobacco goes well and some Fruits go even better like when someone brought over a bottle of Sangria for a Baby Back Rib BBQ. A Tropical Fruit vape went extremely well with that. Good Luck and enjoy pairing different vapes with a different vino~!

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Gonna be watching this. My wife wants me to pick up some arbor mist and I laughed. I'm going to look for something's a little better I think. But I am interested in the pairing.
I'm only doing a half a bottle (2 glasses) each night. So the first will be the pairing, and I don't know yet if I'll do follow up posts with the 2nd half of the bottle. Maybe something on the opposite end of the flavor spectrum from the previous day's pairing. But tomorrow's wine pairing will be a 2016 "Color Wash Red", another bold red wine.

DHXbOhg.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Going to the Olde Trading Post for Burgers and going probably have some Pinot Noir which will be followed by a Tobacco Vape after dinner.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My selection for tonight. Will definitely pair well with dinner. Just to find a vape to pair. Some blackberry crumble perhaps. I got the wife some muskadine wine. She's not much on anything sour.
4730dcf8b21fb403a13c988f646f2ecf.jpg

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So I've decided to try to develop an appreciation for wines. I've never really been into them - more of a beer guy. Higher end beer, but still beer nonetheless. So, does anyone else here like to pair various juice with various wines?

I was very much into wine back in the day.
If there is anything you need to know. Please feel free to ask. If you dont know anything about wine this is how you start.

Stay away from all that "pink" colored wine. Most are complete crap and loaded with sugar. A good starting point is a light white wine like a Pinot Grigio its a crisp very summery refreshing wine. One of the better ones are by santa margherita. Drink it ICE COLD. After that Id move into Chardonnay. I will be oaky and buttery. Its a heavier white but has lots of body. A solid chardonnay will run about $15.00 a bottle. A solid choice is by Kendal Jackson, and anything by Robert Mondavi. There are a ton of other producers but I'm thinking of what you can get almost anywhere.

If you want to jump right into red wine Id start with a Pinot Noir. Again a lighter red wine. There are FAR more styles of red then white, and they can get far more expensive. If your looking for something to pair with say Italian Food a good Chianti is always a solid choice. If you dont know which brand to buy.. its simple... Look for the Rooster on the top of the bottle. It's a mark of Gallo Nero and it means it meets the quality standards.

You never chill most bottles of red wine. Let it sit and breathe. They should be served about 15-30 mins after you uncork it.
Trust me. I know it sounds stuffy and high brow but- It makes a difference.

If you don't like like red. Here is a trick. Drink 1 glass every night with dinner for 1 week. By day 8 you will really begin to enjoy it.

You can go on for days with wine -- there is a ton to talk about.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If there is anything you need to know. Please feel free to ask. If you dont know anything about wine this is how you start.

Stay away from all that "pink" colored wine. Most are complete crap and loaded with sugar. A good starting point is a light white wine like a Pinot Grigio its a crisp very summery refreshing wine. One of the better ones are by santa margherita. Drink it ICE COLD. After that Id move into Chardonnay. I will be oaky and buttery. Its a heavier white but has lots of body. A solid chardonnay will run about $15.00 a bottle. A solid choice is by Kendal Jackson, and anything by Robert Mondavi. There are a ton of other producers but I'm thinking of what you can get almost anywhere.

If you want to jump right into red wine Id start with a Pinot Noir. Again a lighter red wine. There are FAR more styles of red then white, and they can get far more expensive. If your looking for something to pair with say Italian Food a good Chianti is always a solid choice. If you dont know which brand to buy.. its simple... Look for the Rooster on the top of the bottle. It's a mark of Gallo Nero and it means it meets the quality standards.

You never chill most bottles of red wine. Let it sit and breathe. They should be served about 15-30 mins after you uncork it.
Trust me. I know it sounds stuffy and high brow but- It makes a difference.

If you don't like like red. Here is a trick. Drink 1 glass every night with dinner for 1 week. By day 8 you will really begin to enjoy it.

Glad you made it along. I have no idea about wine. More of a homemade liquor drinker myself. But wine has always intrigued me. My wife is into the cheaper fruity stuff. I'm try to jump past that to some better flavors.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Jesus wept....only a fucking beer drinker would go around pairing vape juice and good wine............

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
What in the world is wrong with pairing wine with vape flavors?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'm thinking that with your remarks, that it's above your comprehension level. If you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation, then please ignore this thread.

Edit: Unless of course you're just joking, and I didn't get it. Then your comments would make more sense.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking that with your remarks, that it's above your comprehension level. If you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation, then please ignore this thread.
I don't give a fuck what you think.....and I give a fuck of alot less what you think about wine.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Dude, then why in the world are you even commenting in this thread? It obviously doesn't concern you in any way, shape, or form.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Here's the info card from last night and tonight's wine. Not sure what to pair it with yet - I wanna try something a bit different than the chocolate. Some kind on spice maybe? I have Gingerbread Man by the guys who now own Wake Mod Co. I'll look around and see what strikes me.

6DtdZqq.jpg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Here's what I've been using to decant and aerate the wine. It's a large glass from one of my French press coffee makers.
I've been looking for proper decanters and/or aerators, but there's a plethora of styles and price points to choose from. I need to get a little advice from someone who is familiar with red wines.

Basically, I just pour a slow, steady stream from about 18 inches above the glass to give it a real good mix of air to start the oxidation of the wine.

GIjiZaX.jpg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Not sure what to pair it with yet - I wanna try something a bit different than the chocolate. Some kind on spice maybe?
I need to think of this stuff ahead of time until I get a little more experienced at it. Just gonna continue with what I did last night (the Golden Ticket juice).

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need to think of this stuff ahead of time until I get a little more experienced at it. Just gonna continue with what I did last night (the Golden Ticket juice).
Now the golden ticket would be good with the one I have. Black currant and dark cherry. Mmm

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Thanks Joe, I appreciate it!
Stay away from all that "pink" colored wine. Most are complete crap and loaded with sugar.
Agreed. To start with, I'm only going to be trying wines with a rating of 90 or better according to either Wine Spectator or The Wine Enthusiast.

A good starting point is a light white wine like a Pinot Grigio its a crisp very summery refreshing wine. One of the better ones are by santa margherita. Drink it ICE COLD. After that Id move into Chardonnay. I will be oaky and buttery. Its a heavier white but has lots of body. A solid chardonnay will run about $15.00 a bottle. A solid choice is by Kendal Jackson, and anything by Robert Mondavi. There are a ton of other producers but I'm thinking of what you can get almost anywhere.
Good advice - thank you. From having a fairly intense hospitality background, I am familiar with both names. They're both on my "to get" list. Just not sure which types yet.

Reds are definitely the ones I need to develop a palate for. I like that rooster tip - Thanks!

Trust me. I know it sounds stuffy and high brow but- It makes a difference
From what I've read so far, most reds should be drank at "room temperature". After further reading, I found out that the term actually refers to temps around 65°. I've also read a bit about decanting, breathing, and aerating the wine in order to give it a bit of oxidation. This is specifically for the reds, It makes a surprisingly noticeable difference in the flavor of the wine.

Workin' on it - this is day 4. Half a bottle (2 glasses) per night. :D

That's what I'm finding out. It's one of those subjects/hobbies that the more you learn about, the more you start to realize that there's even more to learn (if that makes sense).

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
No pairing this evening. And it may be a short while before I do this - I really need to develop my palate before I go jumping into this. I have a habit of going into new things 200%. But with this, I really need to learn to walk before I can run.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea what I had last night was super sour. Had a nice flavor but definitely a tounge twister. Only the rest if the bottle to go. My wife won't like that one at all.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got the new decanter today. Time to drink it up. Lol
2f961b1339a47426b3864c264a6acb06.jpg

3278cd2925bcda476d5453fef171a8b0.jpg

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Broken pics still. Not sure what's up with that.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try again
3f4b99c48935bbb9afe0e3336a105e49.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Broken pics still. Not sure what's up with that.

I can see your pics fine. Must be tapatalk

Your decanter reminds me of a swan

No pairing this evening. And it may be a short while before I do this - I really need to develop my palate before I go jumping into this. I have a habit of going into new things 200%. But with this, I really need to learn to walk before I can run.

You're definitely ahead of the curve already - as vaping grows more popular, this idea will, too

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I found a good pairing for the Opici Homemade Red which is Awesometown Purple Powder~!

8804511154206.png

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Tonight's selection. I'm still learning to train my palate, so there won't be any pairings until I can sufficiently appreciate the wines for what they are. Then I can put together pairings that will (hopefully) work well together. The 2015 Shannon Ridge was suggested to me by Sang Chhoeuk, the owner of a local specialty wine store called Wine Vine.

JYSYgdD.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Tonight's selection. I'm still learning to train my palate, so there won't be any pairings until I can sufficiently appreciate the wines for what they are. Then I can put together pairings that will (hopefully) work well together. The 2015 Shannon Ridge was suggested to me by Sang Chhoeuk, the owner of a local specialty wine store called Wine Vine.

JYSYgdD.jpg

I thought for a second you were on a boat in the tropics...nice screens lol

Also, nice wine glass :D I will just vicariously drink wine through this thread if that's okay

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We had some Richard childress vinyard red muscadine wine tonight. The wife didn't like it but I thought it was rather tasty. Was a nice sweet back note to it. I can't stand to eat muscadines so I was surprised that I liked it.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Trying Merlot for the first time tonight. This 2015 Noble Vines 181 was on sale for $8.99 at Whole Foods and has some decent ratings and favorable reviews. I can’t wait ‘til my Vinturi V1010 aerator gets here tomorrow so I can just start aerating right from the bottle instead of having to decant/swirl and wait.

iDiEGgx.jpg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So while I’m learning to appreciate these wines, I’m trying to figure out how to pair them properly. I’m really concentrating on the reds so far, and they are supposedly paired best with beef, lamb, game, etc. How do I translate this to the available e-liquid flavors?

I’m thinking maybe pairing based on the flavors notes from The Wine Enthusiast, the Wine Advocate, and other knowledgeable wine lovers. For instance, tonight’s Merlot is quoted as “opens with aromas of black cherry, vanilla and toasty spice.”. So maybe play off of that. If I pair it with a vanilla vape, for instance, it should accent the black cherry and spice notes, but possibly diminish the vanilla notes.

Another description was “Fresh fruit flavors of currant and cherry mingle gently with spicy cedar and vanilla.”. An alternate to a vanilla vape, I could try a cherry type flavor, which could accentuate the vanilla and cedar notes of the wine.

What are your thoughts?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smart pairing to me. Something to accentuate the other notes is what you're looking for. I'd try the vanilla. If it masks the vanilla hints in the wine you could try a more fruit blend. Which may be better in the long run.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So while I’m learning to appreciate these wines, I’m trying to figure out how to pair them properly. I’m really concentrating on the reds so far, and they are supposedly paired best with beef, lamb, game, etc. How do I translate this to the available e-liquid flavors?

I’m thinking maybe pairing based on the flavors notes from The Wine Enthusiast, the Wine Advocate, and other knowledgeable wine lovers. For instance, tonight’s Merlot is quoted as “opens with aromas of black cherry, vanilla and toasty spice.”. So maybe play off of that. If I pair it with a vanilla vape, for instance, it should accent the black cherry and spice notes, but possibly diminish the vanilla notes.

Another description was “Fresh fruit flavors of currant and cherry mingle gently with spicy cedar and vanilla.”. An alternate to a vanilla vape, I could try a cherry type flavor, which could accentuate the vanilla and cedar notes of the wine.

What are your thoughts?

Sort of like red or gamey meat, I would try something outside of the wine's profile, like earthy, bready, not overly sweetened like a cinnamon roll or tea :question:

Or if I wanted to get stronger accents from the wine, I would vape cherry maybe

VU Sponsors