Become a Patron!

Winter is coming

judo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So with winter just about to set in here it's getting much colder.
How or does the winter temperatures affect your vaping?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I live in what is considered a Desert I just do not know

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
Arlington Hts, Buffalo Grove, Schaumburg area :)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Winters here in the Southland are mild and balmy...high of 75 today low of 45 tonight... Be like that mostly all winter long,..lololol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Extra microfiber wipin' cloths for the vehicles. VG fogs up like a mofo, and wouldn't you know the heater core on my wife's vehicle stopped working. So until after the holidays (and we can get it fixed), cold drives are on the menu. And lots of microfiber handtowels. And elbow grease.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thicker gauge needles to measure VG for DIY juice. :D

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep your stuff inside your coat. Temperature changes will cause many tanks to leak. Warm your batteries up to room temperature before charging. Good to go.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first started vaping it was winter here in South Dakota and the cold would just kill my ego pens even if they were in my pocket while I was shoveling or snowblowing. Granted it gets cold as fuck here so its no surprise :) I've learned now that I just have to wait to vape until after my duties are fulfilled! I did have a few bloody lips from the protank mini drip tips too, damn metal!

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's been winter here for over a month. The only change to vaping is that my tank likes to flood when I come in from the cold. I minimize the flooding by turning tank upside down and hitting it a couple times before I come in and then a couple more times when I get inside while it warms. It usually uses up the juice being pushed through the wick by the pressure of warming liquid.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Usually here in So. E. Az, we have 2 seasons also, hot and freeking insane (115+), but it has been downright frigid this week, and as far as I can tell, as long as I'm in my house or truck, everything vapes normally.

judo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good stuff to know. My main concerns are about flooding tanks and how juice will wick in colder temps.
Does it help to leave the air vents open as it warms up, maybe just unscrew the top ?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Winters here in the Southland are mild and balmy...high of 75 today low of 45 tonight... Be like that mostly all winter long,..lololol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I'm about 15 miles due west of this guy, so temps are similar but there's even less variance. With midday temps dropping into the mid-60s I've been wearing a jacket lately, which makes it easier to pocket a mod due to having more pockets. Otherwise no change for me.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I live in south Florida... ...so I vape outside more often. We have three seasons here: early-summer, mid-summer, and late-summer.

The only time I had temperature-related problems was a few years back, when I was still using a Kanger T3. It always flooded and gurgled within a few minutes of bringing it outside.. I mean, that was a problem they tended to have anyway, but it was always far worse than usual out in that 90F+ heat. One thing I did notice about it was that once it had its little lurch sesh, it would be fine. On the flipside, I would get dry hits followed by gurgling when I would bring it back in with the AC running at 72F. Inside or outside, when it wasn't gurgling, the performance was the same.

The one thing that is changing is that I can now vape my max vg juice fresh out of the mailbox. Usually, it's too runny because if it's 97F outside, then its probably 110F in the mailbox. Even with it being max vg and using a dripper, warm juice doesn't vape well. It spatters and leaks. The same does not go for juice in the fridge. I doubt it'd go well in a tank system, but in a dripper it gets hot enough to wick by the time it needs to. Just gotta shake the hell out of it.

Last edited:

judo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I live in south Florida... ...so I vape outside more often. We have three seasons here: early-summer, mid-summer, and late-summer.

The only time I had temperature-related problems was a few years back, when I was still using a Kanger T3. It always flooded and gurgled within a few minutes of bringing it outside.. I mean, that was a problem they tended to have anyway, but it was always far worse than usual out in that 90F+ heat. One thing I did notice about it was that once it had its little lurch sesh, it would be fine. On the flipside, I would get dry hits followed by gurgling when I would bring it back in with the AC running at 72F. Inside or outside, when it wasn't gurgling, the performance was the same.

The one thing that is changing is that I can now vape my max vg juice fresh out of the mailbox. Usually, it's too runny because if it's 97F outside, then its probably 110F in the mailbox. Even with it being max vg and using a dripper, warm juice doesn't vape well. It spatters and leaks. The same does not go for juice in the fridge. I doubt it'd go well in a tank system, but in a dripper it gets hot enough to wick by the time it needs to.

Sounds like the really hot weather gives just as much or more troubles as the cold temps.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cold as heck here this morning. Figured I'd take a quick minute to mix up a little 15ml bottle of strawberries and cream. With numbing fingers I got the flavorings in, nic in, went for the VG. Thickest I've seen in what seems like forever. Shook it up as much as I usually do and it's still ribbons and splotches of color. So it's sitting in a little cup of hot water inside to get loose enough to mix properly. Kinda cool, actually, first time I've had to do that this year. Winter's truly upon us.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The cold air is giving me a cooler vape, just another reason to hate winter.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
with a 80-85% VG juice.....gotta keep my gennys close to a heat source. or they don't work well...

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VG/PG ratio definitely makes a difference in wicking ability. At room temperature, both of them flow easily. Put them in a freezer, and the VG will thicken MUCH more than the PG does. Propylene glycol is used as a non-toxic antifreeze (don't yell at me) in systems where freezing needs to be prevented but toxicity to humans is not allowed.

For those who use higher VG juices, not only are there the traditional pressure change problems, but now you can add the viscosity of the liquid into the mix.

VU Sponsors