Become a Patron!

Wire, Cotton... RTA-RDA... Quality... Help-New Builder...

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm looking to step my vape game up...or at least attempt to. Just ordered some pre-made coils(variety pack from Fasttech...please do recommend better pre-made coils), cotton, an RTA(OBS Crius Plus), two RDA's(a Goon clone & a Tsunami)! I've hear about Boreas & Merlin(after making initial purchase)...maybe I'll pick those up to, for better options.

I heard you get much better flavor from RTA's & RDA's that tanks. Is this true? Also, heard it would be cheaper to build my own coils, buy wire, cotton, etc., rather than buying the pre-made coils that come in tanks. One problem, I have little idea on where to start? I heard Clapton's are best for flavor. Are Clapton's difficult to build? Which worse should be used? Based on the RTA's and RDA's I purchased, where should I start?

I also placed an order for Coilmaster DIY Kit to build own coils, etc. In regards to wire gauge(I believe it ranges from 22-48 gauge or something like that... please correct me if I'm wrong), what is a good/safe/standard starting point? Haven't orders any wire yet, because I wasn't sure? It will be my first time building a coi, using the Coilmaster Kit!

I'm so excited! I know I'm all over the place, but insight and direction would be greatly appreciated to any and/or all of the above.

Hope to hear from you, soon!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tons of variables in rebuilding. Getting started is like opening pandora's box. It is absolutely cheaper in the long run. But you will find different attys like different builds. So you will probably just end up with a pile of tools and wire. Some of mine like different cottons too. Different builds for different wattages or different juice pg/vg ratio.

Bare minimum you will need:

Wire (would get kanthal 26g and or 28g to sart with. Maybe some 36 for wrap if you are set on claptons) temco.com. have tried other brands and some don't behave/taste right. Plus priced right and free shipping.

Organic cotton of some type

Precision screwdrivers

Nail clippers

Scissors

A mod with an ohmeter or a coil tab

Time to experiment and lots of juice to experiment with. There will be juice waste while you are getting the hang of it, especially from troubleshooting wicking.

Seems a bit overwhelming, but once you do it a while, you will never look back at disposable coilheads.

Use steam engine to figure out how to build your coils to your preferred wattage. I would say .4 to .7 is a good starting point depending on wattage. And would get the hang of simple coils before claptons et cetera.

Last edited:

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tons of variables in rebuilding. Getting started is like opening pandora's box. It is absolutely cheaper in the long run. But you will find different attys like different builds. So you will probably just end up with a pile of tools and wire. Some of mine like different cottons too. Different builds for different wattages or different juice pg/vg ratio.

Wire (would get kanthal 26g and or 28g to sart with. Maybe some 36 for wrap if you are set on claptons) temco.com. have tried other brands and some don't behave/taste right. Plus priced right and free shipping.

Precision screwdrivers

Nail clippers

Scissors

Time to experiment and lots of juice to experiment with. There will be juice waste while you are getting the hang of it, especially from troubleshooting wicking.

Seems a bit overwhelming, but once you do it a while, you will never look back at disposable coilheads.

Use steam engine to figure out how to build your coils to your preferred wattage. I would say .4 to .7 is a good starting point depending on wattage. And would get the hang of simple coils before claptons et cetera.
Thanks for the abundance of insight, BKTOAD. Very helpful. Much appreciated.

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Precision screwdrivers

Nail clippers

Scissors

BKTOAD the temco website info provided is invalid. Please, do share website info where I can get quality coils &/or wire for reasonable prices?

Thanks, again!

Weirdvapenj

Member For 4 Years
Just google temco coil wire or even go on Amazon I just ordered 100ft of wire Japanese cotton ceramic tweezers and a ohm reader for only 30$.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got my cotton off amazon, not koh gen do brand or whatever but it's japanese organic. Sold as make up removal pads. Pretty decent, not too much chaff in it. I've been using it to rewick the tiny coils on my halo triton clearomizers and works well far as I can tell.

Pretty sure this is what I got, muji brand 50x60mm pads.
http://www.amazon.com/MUJI-Makeup-F...tton&qid=1465331682&ref_=sr_1_14_a_it&sr=8-14

Each pad usually makes around 10 wicks, think I've only used 2 pads so far though that's considering the tiny id coils in a clearomizer (2.2ohm). Hope that helps.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Adenrele, we are in the same boat. Just ordered premade coils, (.6 standard kanthal, some claptons, ) I found the coils, cotton and building kit on ebay. I might upgrade to a better ohm meter, and something more stable to build on. Nice choice on the Tsunami! I'm going to get one next week. I have an Advken Mad Hatter V2 that Is awesome, and for $17.00 on Fasttech, great RDA to learn on with the Velocity style deck.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got my cotton off amazon, not koh gen do brand or whatever but it's japanese organic. Sold as make up removal pads. Pretty decent, not too much chaff in it. I've been using it to rewick the tiny coils on my halo triton clearomizers and works well far as I can tell.

Pretty sure this is what I got, muji brand 50x60mm pads.
http://www.amazon.com/MUJI-Makeup-F...tton&qid=1465331682&ref_=sr_1_14_a_it&sr=8-14

Each pad usually makes around 10 wicks, think I've only used 2 pads so far though that's considering the tiny id coils in a clearomizer (2.2ohm). Hope that helps.
Mujj is good but I like Koh gen Doh better. Bigger pads and fluffier. 80 pads on Amazon for $10-$11.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Adenrele, we are in the same boat. Just ordered premade coils, (.6 standard kanthal, some claptons, ) I found the coils, cotton and building kit on ebay. I might upgrade to a better ohm meter, and something more stable to build on. Nice choice on the Tsunami! I'm going to get one next week. I have an Advken Mad Hatter V2 that Is awesome, and for $17.00 on Fasttech, great RDA to learn on with the Velocity style deck.
I recommend USA Ohm Meter, very, very accurate. Bit more expensive by a few bucks but you get what you pay for. I have the Fire Meter single and parallel, love them both. I'm about to get the small ohm meter to carry around in my mobile rebuild kit.

http://www.shop.usaohmmeters.com

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors