Wire for clouds

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by Nomorebutts, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    I've been building for 2 weeks or so, experimenting with different wire and such. Can anyone help me out with figuring out what kind of wire I should use for what I like. I'm not to big on flavor, cloud chucking is what I want. I want to stay around .3 ohms just as personal preference.

AVS has the twisted fused Clapton wire that would ohm out on a dual coil pretty close to .3 but there sold out at the moment.

I'm using the vandy vape pyro rdta and really like it. I can build single or dual coils in it max about 7 wraps with a 3mm id. Using some quad core claptons from AVS in it now with 1 big 4mm id coil now but maybe I'm choosing the wrong wire for cloudage?

Any help would be great, links on where to buy what someone suggests would be great too. Like I said flavor isn't that big of a deal to me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Pegleg Meg likes this.
  2. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg Yarrr, me booty VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
  3. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
  4. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I didn't think a single coil would provide enough wick to keep the pyro from leaking. I have 2 4mm coils in mine but ohms are .11

5. Ralph_K

Blog Posts:
    LMAO that is a pair but yea screw that just get a spool of flat clapton

6. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    1530497451901-1975075568.jpg

I never had a problem with leaking on the pyro. For the single coil I wicked it tight and just fluffed the cotton, barely any comb out and no leaks.

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  7. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg Yarrr, me booty VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
  8. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm not saying I'm not getting good clouds, I am. Just asking if maybe something other then the quad core claptons are better for clouds. Idk I'm new like I said and still learning, would just like to avoid buying stuff that's a waist of money if there's something better for what I want.

9. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    And I put about 8 wraps in that coil, which is why it ohms out at .3 and not lower. The legs look ugly because I had to bend them in to get them in the postholes. That's how I know I can only do about 7 wraps lol... this quad core wire will prolly be lower then the .3 I'm looking for with 7 wraps

10. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    What gauge are the cores in your 4 core fused claptons? Going down to a lower gauge can add more clouds, or a staple coil

11. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    28gx2/34g

Won't going down in size make the ohms even lower though?

12. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    Sorry mistake, was looking at the wrong wire on my last reply.

The quad cores are 28gx4/36g

13. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    You're using the right wire for cloudage if you don't want to go below 0.3 ohms

14. HondaDavidson

HondaDavidson Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    What are you powering the atomizer with... because the amount of power available and how it is delivered may have bearing on how to build for clouds at .3ohm..... different needs for a single battery tube mech vs a 3 battery 300 watt box.

Why the ohm limit of .3?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

15. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    Just preference and trying to stay away from going really low ohm. I don't mind a warm vape but don't really want a super hot vape.

I'm using a smoant cylons (regulated device) with Sony vtc5a's with a pyro rdta.

16. HondaDavidson

HondaDavidson Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Just wondering....

That was my point Ohm doesn't determine heat.... wire type, wire mass and amount of voltage applied determine that. I quit worrying about ohm when I switched from mech to regulated.... started building to a wattage and heat range. But then I build more for flavor..... when I want clouds I crank up the watts and open up the airflow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Vape Fan likes this.
  17. Vape Fan

Vape Fan More like I am now, than I was before VU Donator Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I agree with +wattage and +airflow for more cloud. I've tried 2.5 or 3 id dual and mount them close to deck and close to those air flow ramps Pyro has. For me the cap runs cooler and I can give it more wattage, that and a taller than stock tip. I wouldn't be so concerned of staying around .3 Lower would be better for what you want.

18. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    You guys recommend dual coil or 1 big coil for clouds. I was thinking about doing a big parallel coil with some wire I got on the way.

People say more surface area equals more clouds, if that's true.

19. Ralph_K

Blog Posts:
    A large 6mm coil has no more surface area than 2 3mm coils. I've don't one big coil using a bolt shoulder as a jig I don't know the size but it took same amount of cotton as dual 4mm do so i guess close to 8mm. Its very close to the top cap.

20. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    Right but wouldn't 1 parallel coil produce more vapor then a dual coil build because the coils together would ramp up and heat more in a smaller area as opposed to heating more in a wider area?

21. Ralph_K

Blog Posts:
    With duals more of the surface area is going to be hit with airflow. It never hurts to try different builds

22. Nomorebutts

Nomorebutts New Member

Blog Posts:
    So after I got off from work I took the time and through a 3mm id 6 wrap SS fused clapton dual coil build in the pyro. Really took my time wrapping the wire, mounting/positioning it on the postless deck and took my time working out heat spots.

I think I was just rushing before or wasn't paying attention, prolly wicking it a little to thick also. Because I fluffed the cotton out alot and it's chuckin clouds nice. Came out to .24

Last question and I'll leave you guys alone.

What wires best for quick ramp up and quick cool down time?

23. CactusFanaticus

CactusFanaticus Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Nothing beats stainless steel or nichrome simple round wire builds for ramp time, the super complex builds have more coil mass to heat and cool so way longer ramp up/down. Don’t underestimate simple round wire for clouds/flavor.

geoffd likes this.
  24. r055co

r055co VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Depends greatly on the wire and gauge, SS has great response and faster cool down.

If he's looking for clouds it comes down to Power + wire mass = plenty of plumage.

When I wanna be obnoxious and blow massive plumage here's what I achieve it with. Pair of 26x2/36 SS Fused Clapton at around 0.4 ohms pumping 8.2V. The plumage is truly obnoxious.

[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

25. Ralph_K

Blog Posts:
    LMAO I see 2 shot glasses

r055co likes this.
  26. r055co

r055co VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Yeah with the HOG + a number of large Tequila shots = a truly obnoxious night ;)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk