And more vapour, of course

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lifted from Reddit from 6 days ago:

Lightning Vapes Stepped Up Their Spooling Game
renderTimingPixel.png

We've been working for over a year and a half on precision winding all of our wire. From new equipment, to new methods, to even a custom made spool mold and more resilient plastic material. We now have the capability to wind nearly perfect layer over layer wire up to 40 AWG and up to about 250-500', even 1000' up to 32 AWG.

We've spent a LOT of time and money in an effort to produce excellent quality, built for purpose, plastic spools. The new spools we are producing have thicker flanges and barrel, and are made out of ABS plastic. (We are still experimenting with more rigid materials). One huge problem with winding fine wire, is that it requires significant tension in order to produce layer over layer winding. In the past, this has plagued us because the thin, flimsy polypropylene spools we once used were inconsistently made, and bowed under moderate tension. With these new custom spools that is no longer the case, and precision winding is now possible. Just take a look at what we are now able to achieve! These new spools are STILL DAEDALUS COMPATIBLE!!!

The new custom spools are only being used for 30 AWG - 40 AWG. For 29 AWG and below however, we are using an already on the market American-made spool. Both new spools have much in common over the cheap flimsy Chinese spools of the past. They are polypropylene, however they are thicker, sturdier, wider, and much more precise. We are confident that with the many angles we've attacked spooling problems from, today you will not find better spooled wire anywhere on the market.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All that work and money. It's still going to be a messy spool when the wire slips from our fingers. And we have a mess to re-wrap.
I have no issues with wire I use for the cores. For the wrap wire spools I use spool tamers. Wrap it around the spool and keeps it from unspooling

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

MichaelPhillips

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have no issues with wire I use for the cores. For the wrap wire spools I use spool tamers. Wrap it around the spool and keeps it from unspooling

I was referring to the Lightning Vapes Stepped Up Their Spooling Game.. Wasting money and over a year of time. Coming up with new ways to wrap there spools.... You wrap the wire from left to right. No art to it...
renderTimingPixel.png

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was referring to the Lightning Vapes Stepped Up Their Spooling Game.. Wasting money and over a year of time. Coming up with new ways to wrap there spools.... You wrap the wire from left to right. No art to it...
renderTimingPixel.png

It's that simple, eh? Which wire store is yours, I want to order some from you to try out

MichaelPhillips

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't make it.. I just use it.... But i have re-wrapped lighting vape spools more than a few times. Keeping it tight looks as good as new....

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Th
i have had good and bad wire from kbee. the first stuff made my fingers black (which doesnt really matter because i clean the coils before i use them no matter how clean the wire looks/feels), and was poorly spooled. the higher gauge stuff was troublesome. i could feel kinks passing through my fingers as i built, and experienced a lot of breaks.

tried them again and they have a new logo, no black fingers, and so far so good in terms of spooling and breaks (perfect wire so far).

heres a pic. old logo on the left, new logo on the right
View attachment 76047

im not saying its great or good or bad, or better than anything else...just noting a huge change from one order to the next.

I've got three spools from them. No problem at all with it. Maybe it was just stored away and got dusty as heck. Mine came in clean then I bought from another company. Pirate Coil....Clapton, Alien and another, can't remember right off hand (away from home).

Pirate did fine two days ago on a build and came in with dual plastic wrap on the coiled wire. Liked that extra step..

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You answered the very thing I was pondering to ask. Where did you get those for the wire? I had one a few weeks ago that sprung open on me and lets just say I didn't have time for that to happen! I didn't have time to wrap it back up nicely either, looks like heck!!

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@WPMac Thank you so much!! I cannot stand wire uncoiling on me!! Then I get OCD about the unkept wire..LOL Going to amazon now! :)

nathanstokes

Member For 4 Years
Thought I'd add another source for those of us in the UK/Europe (at least until Brexit anyway). After having all the same complaints about Crazy Wire listed over and over above (never filthy, but rarely clean wire; carefully setting aside a spool, turning around and hearing the dreaded "BRAAAAAAAAANG" as it de-spools itself) I thought I'd give Juice Junkie a try. Had bought some coils from Custom Vapes when I was in there (great shop, great guys, as an aside) that were made using that wire, and they lasted and lasted and lasted.

Picked up some 28, 38 and 0.3 ribbon (all Ni80) and I've been really pleased with it. Clean, zero unspooling, ribbon doesn't come off the spool straight, but the bend's not bad and easy to straighten. I did have the 38 snap once while fusing, but I think that was my mistake - usually fuse with 36. They've got SS316L, Kanthal A1 and Ni80 in round and ribbon, Ni90 in round, and paraspools in SS316L and Ni80.

Have only bought the smallest spool sizes, as it was a tester purchase, but will definitely be buying from them again. Further knock against them for people who build a lot, I guess, is they only sell smaller spool sizes - 26g comes in 50m max.; 28g in 100m max; 36 & 38g in 200m max). If you want larger spools, or some of the less used metals, I guess Stealth Vape is the place to stick with. Also I emailed them prior to purchase about where they source their wire and didn't get a response.

But all in all, pleased with the wire - the staples I made, while aesthetically not as pleasing as the ones I've bought from Interstellar Vaping (a great place to pick up coils if you're buying someone else's), the flavour's on par, so if they last the way the ones I bought, I'll be a super satisfied customer.

Sorry to all for reviving a relatively old thread, but I can't find this info ANYWHERE, and this thread seemed most appropriate.

Can anyone direct me to a possible source for PREMADE Titanium coils? I'm perfectly capable of safely wrapping my own, but I've moved beyond the experimenting/hobby side of making coils and very much prefer the simplicity of premades, but I'll be damned if I can't find ANYWHERE that will do premade titanium coils. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to all for reviving a relatively old thread, but I can't find this info ANYWHERE, and this thread seemed most appropriate.

Can anyone direct me to a possible source for PREMADE Titanium coils? I'm perfectly capable of safely wrapping my own, but I've moved beyond the experimenting/hobby side of making coils and very much prefer the simplicity of premades, but I'll be damned if I can't find ANYWHERE that will do premade titanium coils. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Maybe more fitting as a standalone post in the building section, this one's more about sources of wire. They might be difficult to source because titanium isn't overly popular so chances of builders offering them are slim. It's getting better but even stainless and ni80 were harder to source from premade stuff, it was mostly kanthal. It tends to be more expensive than other wire types and can be more prone to health issues if overheating them, you don't want to dry fire titanium and get it too hot, risk buildup of titanium dioxide. Is there a reason you dislike stainless? Since you're looking for TI I'm assuming you're using temp control since that's all titanium should be used for.

If there's some reason you still prefer titanium I found some but they're basic coils. I mean for the price and given they're simple coils you'd be better off just getting a spool of titanium wire from like Lightning Vapes and using a coilmaster jig that nearly wraps them automatically just twisting the handles. Would take all of 10min if that to whip out 10-20 coils.
https://www.vapininthecape.com/Premade-Vape-Coils.html

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor

The wire is not impossible to come by, though if your looking for specific gauges it can be difficult. Finding a builder (or company) that makes coils out of it is hard. It is a sketchy alloy for vaping because it is more dangerous than other alloys because even the slightest bit to hot and your releasing BAAAAD mojo. It is also an expensive metal, as stated by @Synphul . So finding someone willing to shell out the money to get a wire to make into coils to sell, that 1 in a million will buy, is unlikely. You better off to do what is stated above. Buy spools yourself and wrap them up. If your looking for fused coils then you may have to pick up a drill and learn if you want them that badly. Or you may be able to find a builder willing to use your materials to make coils for you. But round trip shipping and crafting fees may come out to be pretty expensive for you.

R.Savage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm looking for a good retailer in Canada or Alberta that has fantastic stock of wire. 24 g wire of any sort around here seems to be rare.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really like Kidney Puncher larger spools for claptoning. I don't mind AVS smaller rolls but don't really like the Wire Optim ones. I don't like how it feels in my hand while it's feeding.

I got some beadalon spool tamers but don't care for them. Do you guys leave them on rolls like 38ga for claptoning? I use pieces of painters tape to secure them when Im done. I take the end and bend it over the edge of the spool. The tape holds the wire in place. I use the little piece of tape over and over again, not just once.

FlavorOverClouds

Member For 1 Year
I leave the spool in those ziplock bags they use and pinch it at the corners. I never have to worry about dropping or setting down the spool and having it come unspooled.

I only want it to taste amazing. Is that too much to ask?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just made my first ever order order with Coil Society. I've heard their ribbon comes off the roll really good. I got ribbon and a few rolls of Kanthal.

I'm waiting on Kidney Puncher to have a sale code. I don't feel like spending $80 for free shipping. Their only shipping option right now is FedEx ground for $16. I only had a couple things in my cart and that was the only option. I'll wait it out.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I just made my first ever order order with Coil Society. I've heard their ribbon comes off the roll really good.
It does! Nice and straight 95% of the time. They were my go-to vendor for ribbon wire back when I ran PureCoils.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It does! Nice and straight 95% of the time. They were my go-to vendor for ribbon wire back when I ran PureCoils.
Thanks for weighing in. I'm glad I ordered from there now.

I've been buying Mustad brand swivels ever since I seen you mention them. They're excellent. I really appreciate reading your guys pointers and stuff like that. Big thanks :hug:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Advanced Vape Supply SS316 wire is now 70% off (code: 70OFF). Remember, shipping is free if you spend over $30.

I just got a bunch of 28ga and 38ga about a week ago. I picked up some extra thousand foot rolls of 36, and 40ga. I've never used 32 or 34ga, but I've been getting into super flat stuff. I picked some up for the hell of it along with more 30ga. I'm pretty set for everything under 30.. I wish they had smaller ribbon than .1x.5 .

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ordered an RDA from a place called Coil Clout. I saw that they sell aliens coils and stuff like that. I got an email about a sale for 25% off all rolls. I went and checked out the site again and they had regular rolls of wire. I got some to check out.
YxEBYBp.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the little rolls for claptoning. The wire seems to be really good though. The .3 ribbon I tried was tangled at first but when I got it undone, it's nice ribbon. It just falls off strait. The wire is spoiled really well too (similar to Wire Optem). I think they could do their labels a lot better but overall, Im pretty happy with my order.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you were after "spooled" here :)
Yeah. Pretty clean spoiling on their part. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but it seems like almost every roll of ribbon gives me trouble at first. It overlaps on itself and its just generally tangled. I don't remember Kidney Puncher ribbon ever doing that to me. Hope they can make a comeback. Liver Kicker wire or some new name.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ty 4 the heads up. I was out of .3 ribbon and 38g. Now im good for a long while.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure if everyone knows or not but Kidney Puncher wire can be bought at KPWire.com. For a while, they stopped selling it entirely. They quit in March but like everyone predicted/suggested, they slapped new labels on their spools. It had something to do with their brand name and being linked to vaping. I was kind of mad that it was unavailable for a while. I pretty much learned how to make my complex stuff with their wire and spools.

I like that they're back (have been back for a while now), but I can't talk myself into paying their prices. I've not once seen them have a sale since the reboot. I've been buying all my wire from Coil Society, Coil Clout, and to a lesser extent, Wire Optim. I have no complaints about the actual wire and ribbon. I just wish they used the big KP spools 😁. I've moved on but if they ever have a sale, I might give them some of my money again. Those other companies have pretty good prices to start with but seem to always run sales on top of that.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I doubt many people still read this thread, but I noticed something recently. When I first started spinning, I got a lot of KP wire during sales. I don't go through a lot of kanthal for regular coils. I've gotten into making mesh alternative stuff and finally ran out of 38ga KA1. I made a small order at Coil Clout for 2x 500 foot spools of it.

My first 5 attempts at making those mesh like coils resulted in messes. For whatever reason, that CC wire doesn't agree with my button. I can't get consistent spacing for shit. It feels a bit more rigid too but that might be my imagination. Not long ago I pretty much "Took it to the max" making some coils 20x34/38ga (That's a lot of flimsy cores). That was with KP 38ga wire though. I've always known there's different qualities of wire etc. but this issue is a glaring one for me. I finally ordered from the newer KPwire.com site because I want to continue being successful at these things. I think I'm going to get a roll from both Coil Society and Wire Optim as well to see how those ones are too. Who knows, maybe they all use the same wire and KP's spooling process makes it more manageable. I dunno... I know for sure that I want to make more coils for my mesh atomizers because a lot of them are fantastic.

I haven't really noticed any kind of issues like that before now. I've had crappy ribbon before, but most round wire these days is easy enough to work with.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Frank, give Jacobs Online a try. Easily as good as (or better than) KP. I've bought many MILES of wire from him. He carries KA1, N60, and N80 for round wires. He also carries N60 ribbon wire, but I've never tried that from him. He doesn't specialize in vaping wire - he specializes in resistance wire, and his tolerances are much higher than those used by most (if not all) vaping wire vendors. For ribbon wire, I've always found Coil Society to be exceedingly consistant, and the wire hardly ever needs straightening - it just rolls off the spool ready to use.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors