Become a Patron!

wire shopping questions

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok i got a couple 10 foot sample spools the other day and a drill and made my first clapton. the main lesson i took away from that was i need about a thousand feet of wire now. so im on ebay shopping for wire and i have a couple questions that stem from my lack of experience. first, im going to order a variety of gauges of kanthal so i can have what i need to (try to) make whatever coil i feel like. im going to get a similar variety pack in n80 because its pretty cheap. after that, i have some questions...

ribbon wire. whats a good gauge for staple coils and clapton wraps? can i just get .5mm and use it for everything? should i think about getting this in n80 or kanthal?

temp control. titanium, ni200 and stainless are quite a bit more expensive. i cant afford to get a spool of every gauge, but i would like to have some on hand to learn from. whats a good gauge of each for basic coils (micro/macro, maybe twisted or parallel)? i have a bit of stainless and have made some coils from it and i like having a tc setup in at least one of my attys. do people make fancier coils out of pure titanium/ni200 or stainless? i guess ill have to learn how to make a fancy coil before i start thinking about pure titanium framed alien staples or whatever but if anyone wants to weigh in on that feel free.

thanks

jdoebean

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
28g ni200 is a good start, rigid enough to wick, easy to get .5-1.0 in most decks,

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ribbon wire - start out w/ .8mm X 1mm. N80 is cheaper, but has a faster ramp up, lower resistance, and doesn't last as long. Not saying those are cons, just letting you know.

TC - Stick with stainless steel. I personally prefer 26 and 28g because you can make pretty much everything with those 2 gauges. I'm one of those people who will never touch pure nickel. If you do want to use nickel, try and get a little bit more experience first and then tackle it.

As far as buying wire, I'd start with 26g kanthal or nichrome80, 32-36g kanthal or nichrome80. These sizes, will get you started on Claptons, fused Claptons, twisted, and parallels. Then just pick up a couple different spools as you want/can. Before you know it, you'll have spools galore!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd go with 24, 26, 28, 32 and 36 gauge of kanthal or nichrome. 100' rolls of the 24-28 last me quite a while its the smaller guages you go through a lot faster. Go with 250' or 500' of the smaller wrap wires, 32-36.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd go with 24, 26, 28, 32 and 36 gauge of kanthal or nichrome. 100' rolls of the 24-28 last me quite a while its the smaller guages you go through a lot faster. Go with 250' or 500' of the smaller wrap wires, 32-36.

Funny. I just placed an order an hour ago. It is exactly the first sentence in your post. So I would have to agree! Even the same quantities you suggested at that. Good Advice!

VU Sponsors