Become a Patron!

Wire Size?

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'm gettin' set to pull the trigger on an OBS Crius with Velocity-style deck. I was going to order some 26 ga. Kanthal to go along with the order, then thought "Hmmm... I wonder if that's optimal?"

I'm a mouth-to-lung vaper, so I'll be wanting to close the air down fairly tightly--compared to many of you. Right now I'm vaping a 70/30 (PG/VG) juice, but there's a max VG (20/80 PG/VG) juice I want to buy. I'll be driving this tank with a Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini that's been updated to 75W, but... I don't want to be blowing big clouds.

I'm thinking I'll probably want to aim for the mid-to-higher end of sub-ohm, so probably more wraps of a smaller gauge? Thus my belief I probably want 26 ga.

What says the coil-building wizzards? :)

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I'm far from a wizard but I just put on a dual ti build in mine today. 2mm 26g 8 wraps came in at .15. Depending on settings you can get some great flavor without huge clouds or crank it up and blow some big ones. I've also used 26 and 24 g ss sure with great results. Haven't tried kanthal yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks, @TheVapingDevil.

I tried the .15Ω coil that came pre-installed in my GS-Tank. Did not care for it. I suspect it was the Ni I did not like. That's why I'm thinking of trying Kanthal in the RTA. Kanthal has higher resistance for the same gauge and length, too. This is just a SWAG, mind you, but I think I'm aiming for .5-.8Ω. From my reading and my own (very limited) experiences: That's where I think my personal sweet spot will be.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Many people myself included have issues with Ni200. If I want temp control I use titanium. Plus it has much higher resistance than nickle. SS wire works great in this tank top but usually you need a fair amount of power to get it to shine. If you want higher resistance than kanthal is your best bet since it is higher than ss too. So far I haven't found anything that doesn't work well in the Crius but haven't tried kanthal yet.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yeah, I kind of figured that, if I was going to try TC, again, it'd probably be with SS. But SS coil wire seems scarcer than hen's teeth, right now, so that experiment will have to wait.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I've tried TC with ss in Ti mode it's ok but I'm waiting for my dna200 to do it again correctly. Once the ss craze hit ss wire has become harder to find. I got 30 feet of 24 and 26 do I'm set for a bit lolol.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well, my mod supports SS TC explicitly, so I'm set there. I'll just have to wait for wire to show up somewhere ;)

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Nice
You want try a local welding supply shop too. Just make sure 316L and you should be set

VU Sponsors