Become a Patron!

Wire type

Ephraim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
When I used fused claptons I like nichrome cause kanthal heats up to slow. When I do use kanthal its usually a 10 wrap of 24 gauge. What wires ang gauges to u guys prefer?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
When I used fused claptons I like nichrome cause kanthal heats up to slow. When I do use kanthal its usually a 10 wrap of 24 gauge. What wires ang gauges to u guys prefer?

I like 30g kanthal and 0.3 kanthal ribbon stacked together

bah

Member For 2 Years
ss316l almost all the time, 3x29awg or 2x26awg with 38 outer fusedclaptons. SS because of TC mode, smooth vape for my liking, no dryhits too

Ephraim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ss316l almost all the time, 3x29awg or 2x26awg with 38 outer fusedclaptons. SS because of TC mode, smooth vape for my liking, no dryhits too
Can SS be used in wattage control and does it ohm out lower then nichrome?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Yes, and if everything else is the same like wire gauge and coil size, yes

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Personally I'm partial to Ni80 for fused claps. If it's just a 2 core then I like a 28/38.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I vape just single core claptons, no need anymore for low ohm building. I mostly use 29 gauge kanthal as my core then either Ni, SS and rarely kanthal as wraps. 28 gauge core to target a higher 1.4Ω build requires a massive 3.5mmID that takes up the entire airflow space in my STM's, 30 gauge looses its integrity and distorts real easy wicking with rayon especially after a dryburn or two. The 29 gauge is the perfect midpoint making a 2.5ID 5 wrap 1.4Ω build. I mostly wrap using 34 gauge and the builds are kinda thirsty but got some 38, 40, 44 and 46 gauge wrap wire and found out the finer the wrap wire the thirstier the build becomes. Its like a 29/44 can consume a STM of juice super fast, no way could keep up buying internet juices...thank god for DIY.
I can't be bothered with all the other wire types there's too much keeping track whats in what atty, TC and whatever else...too old to think too much anymore so stick to the KISS and I'm happy.

Ephraim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I heard it gives better flavor. Eud a 10 wrap of 24 gauge SS give better flavor the fused nichrome claptons? Im thinking about getting some at my vape shop I just dont like ohming out so low. The straight wire wudnt ohm out as low as SS claptond and I have a Paranormal. It wud be great for the replay mode.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I tried steam engine to see what 24 gauge wud ohm out at but it wants a lenght. I just know I want 10 wraps on a 3mm. So I cant figure it out.

Try Wire Wizard instead of Coil Wrapping:

Screenshot_20180907-075453.png Screenshot_20180907-075446.png

10 wraps is bad imo, I would try 2x24 and do 5 wraps (will look like 10 wraps but heat faster)

2x24 would be 0.25 ohms or so (single coil)

Pretty big coil though... You sure it will fit?

Last edited:

Pony Tail

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I used kanthal to begin with but then I tried Ni80. After using Ni80 for a while because the flavor was so much cleaner, I tried kanthal again and was highly disappointed. Flavor took a nosedive compared to Ni80. Then I tried ss316. Lower resistance, much faster ramp up, and super clean. Now I toggle back and forth between Ni80 and ss316. I want to play around with Ni90 next. I've heard it's somewhere in between Ni80 and ss316 so it has caught my interest. I like my single tube dual builds to ohm out at around .09-.12 at the most and series around .25-.30. And as always I am NOT suggesting anyone build that low. That's just my personal preference. Keep in mind I know that's going to vary from Ni80 to ss316 because of the ramp up time. The stainless gets hot quick. I've been using a 3mm 3 or 4 wrap 26/36 Ni80 dual core clapton lately just fine. I ran out of my quad core stainless so I ordered some triple core stainless from AVS today because that quad core takes up a LOT of room. I'll eventually start building my own clapton and alien wire. For now I'm content with where I'm at.

Attachments

• mods_744x327-372x164.jpg
    mods_744x327-372x164.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 6

VU Sponsors