Become a Patron!

WISMEC Luxotic MF Box Kit with Guillotine V2

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Luxotic MF Box Kit with Guillotine V2 from Wismec. The Luxotic MF Box was supplied for the purpose of this review by Angelia from Wismec.

http://www.wismec.com/product/luxotic-mf...ne-v2-kit/

https://store.wismec.com/ (all 3 versions available)

Introduction

The Luxotic MF Box is the latest in Wismec's range of Luxotic device's with the MF standing for multi functional. You have the options of having a fully regulated version, a Direct output version or an advanced version that includes both boards allowing for some DIY swapping of boards over. All versions allow the device to be used as a squonker with single battery or as a standard device with dual batteries. I think the question is do we really need this or is it just over complicating things? No doubt there will be those who like to fiddle with things who will love the idea of this device, others will simply think "Why"? in this review i will simply go through the device and let people decide which camp they sit in but as i write the review i think my opinion will become obvious.

In the Box

Contents:

Advanced Version
1x Luxotic MF Box MOD(with screen)
1x Direct output PCB board
1x Guillotine V2 RDA
1x 7ml Squonk Bottle(pre-installed)
1x 18650 Battery Sleeve
2x Clapton 0.28ohm Coil
1x PEI Mouthpiece
1x Connector
1x Silicone Case
1x Cotton
1x User Manual
Spare Parts

Direct output version comes with circuit board without screen
Regulated version comes with circuit board with screen and full menu

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Luxotic MF Box Kit comes in cardboard packaging which is packed with goodies (you get a lot included). There are 3 versions available i recieved the advanced version in Silver which comes with 2 circuit boards, the MF Box is also available as a standard regulated device or direct output device and the other colour option is Black. There is a panel which can be removed by undoing screws which as a nice swirl engraved design, this panel covers half of one side and the front of the device which has a square protruding fire button towards the top. This panel also houses the navigational buttons and screen, the supplied Guillotine V2 RDA as a matching swirl engraved design. The rest of the device is a really nice brushed silver which as been used with previous devices by Wismec. The spine of the device has cut corners giving it a half hexagon shape, the edges have been rounded and it feels really comfortable in the back of the hand and the fire button is very easy to find making it an ergonomic friendly device. The back see's a removable panel which fits in place very securely, this panel as a little notch down one side to make it easy to remove and a cutout with insert, when using as a squonking device remove the insert if not it can stay secured in place with magnets. The bottom of the device has etched branding and safety stamps, moving to the top we have more etched branding one side and a 510 plate the other with Gold plated, spring loaded 510. The build quality i can't fault and there are no rattles whatsoever.

Guillotine V2 RDA Specs and Features:

Size: 24 x 34.8mm
Body material: Stainless Steel
Flavor focused dual coil RDA
Bottom adjustable airflow control
Or Side/top airflow
Attractive pattern of drip tips
Deep juice well for large storage
Attached BF pin for squonker mod
Thread: 510 thread
Colours: Black, Silver

Guillotine V2 Overview

Despite liking the Luxotic squonking device if anyone read my review they will find i wasn't that impressed with the included RDA, but the Guillotine V2 couldn't be more different. It's a dual build, guillotine style post clamps with flip airflow, giving the choice of bottom or top/side airflow. It comes with 2 different ultem 810 drip-tips one with low profile the other a lot taller, the RDA comes with a BF pin installed, there is also a standard pin included.

The Airflow

The airflow slots on the outer sleeve lines up with the decks airflow outlets giving you adjustable bottom airflow which can be adjusted by turning the sleeve. Flipping the outer sleeve upside down now gives you top and side airflow, the more you want side rather than top airflow simply set your coils slightly higher. The top-cap is turned when the sleeve is set this way to adjust the airflow, and if you pull the top-cap off you will see how it's shaped to do this. Looking inside the top-cap you will also see it's lined with ultem to cut down on heat being transferred to the top of the RDA.

The build deck

The build deck has 2 guillotine style posts side by side with shared slots, once loosening the 4 grub screws (2 each post) with the supplied Allen key the end of your wires lift the bar up when slotting into place then simply tighten down. Sounds simple but to be honest getting both coils sitting right before tightening was a bit tricky until i used a couple of rods to hold them in place and even then it isn't the easiest. If you are intending on using the RDA with the airflow flipped then i personally would set the coils a bit higher. The Guillotine V2 has a nice deep juice well, 6mm if using the bottom airflow but if you have the airflow flipped the sleeve blocks the decks airflow outlets giving you approximately a 10mm well. When it came to wicking i was quite generous with the length of the cotton. If using bottom airflow make sure none of your cotton obstruct the outlets.

Luxotic MF Box Specs and Features:

Size: 47.5 x 27.6 x 87.0mm
Max Output Wattage: 100W
Control Board: Adjustable Voltage Board
Cell Type: Single/Dual High-rate 21700/18650 Cell(with a battery sleeve)
E-liquid Bottle: 7ml
Innovative VV Box MOD with Clear Screen
Advanced Adjustable Voltage Board
Changeable Control Board
Optional Avatar Circuit Boards to Cater to Your Taste
Compatible with Squonk Box System & Common Box Mode
Interchangeable 18650 and 21700 Cell for More Convenience
Replaceable 510 Component
Multiple Circuit Protection Systems Applied

Direct output version

Innovative MECH Box MOD with 100W Max Output
Stable Direct Output Board without Screen

Advanced version both boards

Colours: Black, Silver

Changing the boards

To change circuit boards you need to unscrew screws on the outside of the device to remove the plate which then exposes the circuit board. Then you need to unscrew the circuit board and screw the other board in place before screwing the outer plate back in position. Where we had a screen and navigational buttons before we now have black inserts, the navigational inserts are translucent and flash when operating.
When the device first arrived i was not looking forward to swapping boards as i'm not the type that feels comfortable taking electrical items apart how ever simple this does seem to be. Luckily after using the Luxotic as a regulated device and finding it had bypass mode i don't need to swap boards as i can use the device if i so wish exactly the same with the regulated board fitted as with the direct output board by simply using it in bypass mode so i really don't understand the point. Another thing that's important to mention is the fact that the USB port is on the circuit port so to upgrade you need to remove it from the device.

Using as a Squonk Device or Standard Device

Nothing new here at all any squonk device can be used as a standard device. This does have an insert which fits in position via strong magnets that covers the cutout for pressing the bottle but i found myself (despite telling myself not to) pressing the insert which springs into the device which is going to cause the edges to scrape against your battery wraps. The insert needs to be secured from the outside to prevent this.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Fitting The Battery/Batteries

The device can run off a single 21700 or 18650 (with adaptor) but if you wan't to use the device as a standard device and not a squonking device then the squonk bottle can be removed and a contact plate put in position allowing to fit dual 18650's. Now this is innovation but even this is a car crash, the hollow the squonk bottle sits in is shallower than the hollow the single battery sits in which means when dual batteries are fitted the one that replaces the squonk bottle sits higher. There is another adaptor included that increases the girth of the other battery to correct this but it makes no difference whether you use this adaptor or not the battery panel does not sit flush anymore, in fact it looks awful.

The Squonk bottle

I like the bottle it pulls out from the device very easily and for me has just the right softness to it. Because the protruding pipe in the device is extremely short (to allow for swapping bottle for battery) fitting the bottle back into the device after filling is slightly tricky but no great dramas. The bottle isn't a standard size and you don't get a spare which is disappointing i would gladly swap the pointless circuit board for a spare bottle.

Using the Luxotic MF

The device has a number of combination button press features both with the device off and the device on. With the device off up and down together flips the screen, fire and down shows the voltage of your battery and fire and up allows you to set TCR values for your 3 memory slots and set preheat for wattage. Turning the device on and off is the normal 5 clicks of the fire button and once on up and down together locks and unlocks the navigational buttons but the device will still fire. Fire and down together turns stealth mode on and off and finally fire and up allows you to change the subpara between amps, seconds vaped or puffs. To choose between modes is 3 clicks of the fire button which gives the options of Wattage, TC M3, TC M2, TC M1, TC SS, TC Ti, TC Ni and Bypass. When in temp control pressing the fire button 4 times allows you to set wattage for temp control. If using the direct output board then you will get the full voltage of the battery and wattage will be down to ohms law just like a mech apart from the board itself gives it away that unlike a mechanical device you will still have all the safety features and the device will have a 100w limit (sounds just like how bypass mode on the other board works to me).

My Experience Using the Luxotic MF Box

Just using the MF Box as a regulated device as both a standard device or in squonk mode there really isn't anything to complain about (unless you use dual batteries with a battery panel that no longer sits flush). The device fires with no noticeable delay and the fire button is very easy to find and has a very satisfying click. I don't do temp control or have access to data but it seemed a very consistent accurate vape as far as i could tell. The Guillotine V2 RDA i have used before and do like, i prefer it with the BF pin and bottom airflow, with the deep juice well as long as you don't get over zealous while squonking leaking isn't a big issue.

Lets not go over the top in criticism

This was a review based on the advanced version which i just don't get the point of unless it's just aimed at the wannabe mod maker who hasn't got the skills so they can have a pretend. The thing that really baffles me is the fact the fully regulated board has bypass mode which just makes the other board pointless.

After saying that there are 2 other versions available, first as a fully regulated device which apart from the battery panel not fitting flush when using dual batteries i do like the device. And as i direct output device which gives a budget option, again i have no real issues here apart from the battery panel again.

Looks very nice
Very solid device
No rattles whatsoever
Performs well in my experience
Comes with plenty of extras
The Wannabe mod maker will enjoy the 2 circuit board version
Single or dual battery device
Use with or without squonk bottle
Guillotine V2 good RDA
Very easy menu system
Unless dual batteries used battery plate fits extremely well
Firmware upgradeable

Dislikes

Advanced version don't see the point of direct output board
Using dual batteries the battery panel doesn't fit properly
Not a standard bottle and only one supplied
Insert to cover bottle cutout is like a moth to a light bulb to press and could easily damage wraps.
To upgrade you need to remove circuit board from the device.
Personally would worry if i damaged one of the boards while swapping them would i be covered by the warranty? (advanced version) or when upgrading.

I would once again like to thank Angelia for supplying the Luxotic MF Box Kit for the purpose of this review.

http://www.wismec.com/product/luxotic-mf...ne-v2-kit/

https://store.wismec.com/ (all 3 versions available)

VU Sponsors