Become a Patron!

wismec notch coil production

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the leads on the wismec notch coils... are they soldered on or welded?

is there a solder for SS that will be safe to use for TC? or what about dry burning? is there a solder that has such a high melting point that even at 600F it wont offgas or do anything nasty?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like spot welding to me.
A solder wouldn't hold at such high temp.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like spot welding to me.
A solder wouldn't hold at such high temp.

i thought that as well, but as i search the web i see whats called hard soldering? then i looked up the melting point for dif types of solder and there are some that wont melt up to over 1200F. so thats why i asked.

i have very little soldering experience and zero welding. welding SS can be quite difficult from what i gather. so soldering would be considerably easier.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For you to manually do it yes, that's why it's done automatically.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By a machine or a robot arm.

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thing is are the legs SS or Nickle or something else?????? Most of premade coils I have used had nickle legs...You want low or non resistant wire for the legs. Off gassing shouldn't be an issue.. 1st because in use, coils don't get that hot. Also If your legs are glowing....you did it wrong.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thing is are the legs SS or Nickle or something else?????? Most of premade coils I have used had nickle legs...You want low or non resistant wire for the legs. Off gassing shouldn't be an issue.. 1st because in use, coils don't get that hot. Also If your legs are glowing....you did it wrong.

im looking to produce my own style of coil and want to know about joining SS316 wire to SS316 material.

off gassing from solder may be an issue when torching or dry burning the coil clean. not when in vaping use.

can solder be used safely for this or must it be a weld?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have heard of both soldering and welding being used..... I too have never been sure if both are done or like many other things vaping the terms got blended. All of the welded coil I taken apart or purchased. Looked electrically welded, too me.
I believe a fan in the work area will solve any gassing issues that might arise from the joining process or dry burning. Not getting the coils red hot also helps. Dull glow in dark room is more than enough to clean the gunk off and work out hot spots.

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I would NEVER use solder... The majority of Solders contain at least part Lead. definately dont wanna be inhaling that. you can make a simple cheap spot welder usig a lamp cord and two #2 Pencils. dangerous as fuck, but it works. Something my dad taught me when i was a kid.

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
chip away wood on the top near the eraser exposing the graphite rod in the pencils. strip about 1 inch of the ends of the lamp cord and attach one to each exposed pencil. plug the cord in. now when the pointy ends of the pencils get close tey will arc and can be used to weld small ammounts.

Try at your OWN RISK!

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thanks for the replies.

@HondaDavidson i was concerned with offgassing while vaping as well. not just joining and dry burning. sounds like a weld is needed to be sure its safe.

now to look into welding SS. from what ive seen online it looks pretty damn tough to do.

VU Sponsors