Become a Patron!

wismec theorem and notched coils

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Just wondering what everyones opinions are on these. Think this is a good tank or bad tank and why. I went ahead and jumped on board. These notched coils have my interest peaked and since I can just use whatever coil if I don't like the notched figured what the hey why not. What are your views on the notched coils? How many have already jumped on board and ordered one and who is thinking about it?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's gonna be a great single coil tank... The top airflow!!! I hope it's no the same as the indestructible Atty...

VAPE IT

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm actually excited and I love the idea of the notched coil made to fit the tank. I suspect we have a tank that never leaks or dry hits!! Now I will be vaping lower than my normal 75-90 watts but that's good. My batteries might actually last through the day!

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure I want the tank but for sure want to order the notch coils to try. No more test firing then adjusting and anything to make re-coiling easier is a big plus. From the video they heat up fast too and the SS will hopefully work with TC depending on what the legs are made of.

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
They look great, ordered me 3 theorems and 4 packs of notch coils....I'm all in :)
Now release a black version plz.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just saw the legs are made of nickel, that sucks, wish it was SS all the way through to give more consistent results with TC.

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just saw the legs are made of nickel, that sucks, wish it was SS all the way through to give more consistent results with TC.

I wonder if you could take off the legs and add SS ones yourself?

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
same here I dont have the skills to do all that. I am lucky to have enough skill to wrap a basic coil or a clapton using my clapton jig thingy by vaped3d. I ordered mine from AngelCigs and now I am getting kinda frustrated. When I ordered they were expected in 4/16 then it moved to 4/21. I emailed them asking what the deal was and they said they had an issue with the manufacturing so they moved the date out. Now I see its been moved to 4/29 it has me wondering about the quality of this tank if they have to keep moving the date out to fix issues.

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
same here I dont have the skills to do all that. I am lucky to have enough skill to wrap a basic coil or a clapton using my clapton jig thingy by vaped3d. I ordered mine from AngelCigs and now I am getting kinda frustrated. When I ordered they were expected in 4/16 then it moved to 4/21. I emailed them asking what the deal was and they said they had an issue with the manufacturing so they moved the date out. Now I see its been moved to 4/29 it has me wondering about the quality of this tank if they have to keep moving the date out to fix issues.

Or they could be making sure they release a quality product.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bought 10 notch coils that's going in my moonshot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my Thorem today and after 2 tanks it is a lot better than I was expecting. I am not crazy about the drip tip, too small but after swapping it out with a delrin tip it is aces. The notch coil is the real winner so far, been running it on my VF Stout in SS TC at 30 watts and 390 degrees and it is instant, the notch coil lights up fast. I was running it with more watts and a higher temp but found I can turn it down and still get great results. I just took a hit off my SS wrap on my Ice Cube and it takes 2 hits to get the same satisfying vapor the SS notch give me on the first hit.

I am definitely buying more notch coils to put on my rebuildables and the Thorem will be in my regular rotation of tanks for sure.

F

fckaugust8th

I am definitely buying more notch coils to put on my rebuildables and the Thorem will be in my regular rotation of tanks for sure.
Where do you get the coils (notched) from? I see some clones at FT but I'm sort of "shy" of trying them, I'm tired of being the test dummy!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mj...are you sure of that?

Seems odd they would screw up a potentially great coil with nickel legs.

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Brewbear I got the notch coils that came with the Thorem, I haven't ordered any separate yet and dont trust the FT clones.

@inspects I only got that info about the nickel legs from a review, can't remember which one though. The fact that I am getting great results at 390 degrees and 30 watts from a SS coil compared to very different results with the Herakles plus which is known to have SS 316L all the way through tells me it might be true. I was sceptical at first, but when I got a great deal on the tank I figured why not and so far glad I did. I normally vape SS TC at a much higher temp and watts with a 0.25 ohm coil, this one is different but still very satisfying.

For those who are curious the tank came pre built with the notch coil installed and the cotton really covering the inside of the tank. I wound up taking out the tank to clean is up and cut the cotton so that it came close to touching the bottom instead of taking up all of the bottom tank.

The airflow with a single coil is good but not great but the flavor is good so far. I am going to wait to try a dual coil until I get more notch coils (genuine, not the FT clones) I figure the airflow will be a lot better with a dual coil set-up.

I just vaped my cotton dry for the 2nd time with no burnt hits, success so far but still need a few more tanks to see how the notch coil lasts. I really do like how fast the coil heats up though, first hit is just as good as the 4th hit....consistent so far.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hear you mj...I ripped apart a .25 Crown coil trying to find nickel legs...I couldn't see any. Although I've heard folks say they have nickel legs, but have yet to see a macro shot of those bare Crown coils.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@mjag , in your opinion, would the theorem make a decent MTL tank?

The draw is tighter with the single coil and reducer than my Crown, Steam Engine and Cleito tanks. I really don't know what constitutes a good MTL tank though so it is tough for me to answer that question.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear you mj...I ripped apart a .25 Crown coil trying to find nickel legs...I couldn't see any. Although I've heard folks say they have nickel legs, but have yet to see a macro shot of those bare Crown coils.

I think most figure the Crown has nickel legs due to the inconsistent way it works in SS TC mode. Some have success in the SS TC mode and some do not, I am in the later group, I get much better performance with the Crown and .25 coils in power mode.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run crown SS coils with a tcr of 105 and it works just fine. IF there are nickel legs, it makes sense a slightly higher tcr is needed to compensate.

What's the deal with 5 coil packs??? Just because most prebuilts come in 5 packs... that you use one of at a time? Most people will be using two of these at a time so how does a 5 pack make any sense at all?

F

fckaugust8th

I went and bought a Theorem.....The best way to describe it is, neither horse, nor donkey. Too loose for MTL(not like Kabuki et. al.), on the tight side for DL (the Boreas, Alleria, et.al.) . I guess it will take more playing around with different coil configurations before I find a happy medium.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I went and bought a Theorem.....The best way to describe it is, neither horse, nor donkey. Too loose for MTL(not like Kabuki et. al.), on the tight side for DL (the Boreas, Alleria, et.al.) . I guess it will take more playing around with different coil configurations before I find a happy medium.
That's comparing the 2 different airflow "ring" options? and tweaking them to further tighten it? I just got mine, gotta wait till I get home to really play with it.

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's the deal with 5 coil packs??? Just because most prebuilts come in 5 packs... that you use one of at a time? Most people will be using two of these at a time so how does a 5 pack make any sense at all?

Buy two of the 5 packs? Makes no sense to me either.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got it working, works pretty well on my tube mod, I'd love if the notch coils were a little lower, but maybe I can fix it up with wicking. Anyways, solid little device, I love myself the new genesis style tanks, this one solves some of the issues with the others. The notch coil works best for me at 60w+. Just unfortunate that it's .26Ω so my tube isn't firing it quite right. Anyways, great device, notch coils are pretty damn solid when used with variable wattage, nothing really bad to say. Only thing I can say is I'd love a notch coil at like 2.0Ω

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i would love to try the theorem with the notch but sadly my vaping budget for the foreseeable future went into car repairs. but one day i will i swear it

F

fckaugust8th

@JERUS, I only played with the single slot afc ring and it is too late to play with the other ring for now.
Which one of the rings are you using?

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was hoping to have one already. Preordered one from a site, and still hasnt shipped. Ive been seeing more and more people have them, people saying they got them at the shop and from online and whatnot. I got in touch with the site I preordered from and they told me the release date got pushed back due to the replacement glass quality being subpar. New ship date is the 29th :(

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@JERUS, I only played with the single slot afc ring and it is too late to play with the other ring for now.
Which one of the rings are you using?
Single slot, closed half way has been nice.

Ohwatafool

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I received the Theorem a few days ago and very much enjoy it! I am not a big fan of the Notch Coil in TC, haven't tried it in power mode. Yes the leads are indeed Nickel, they did that to avoid having hot legs since they are so long. The dang thing is so big that the glass was getting pretty hot, and also with the amount of wicking needed it causes an air lock so filling it was a pain in the ass. I even tried the "stick something in the wick holes to provide room for air escape" to still more ass pain. Went ahead and made my one SS316L 26awg coil and stuck it in there. I wrapped around 3mm, I don't know how many wraps I made but with all the space I will say it is a whole bunch! I don't count them anymore unless it's dual coil, but it came out to .55 ohms.

I really enjoy the tank itself. I haven't had a flavorgasm like this since my first hit off a Kayfun. The airflow is a bit of a bitch, but once you try the single and dual and find your sweet spot it's set and forget. For me, I like the dual ring about 1/2 closed off. I've also found that filling it I have to use a dropper...which I very much dislike droppers. I have done it with my unicorn bottles, but they're JUUUUUST too stubby to get into the fill hole.

That's a fools thoughts so far on the Theorem!

F

fckaugust8th

Single slot, closed half way has been nice.
I tried closing it 2/3 of the way but it is still too much air for MTL. That sucks, now I may have to go back to DL, not really a problem when at home but at work.....

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I received the Theorem a few days ago and very much enjoy it! I am not a big fan of the Notch Coil in TC, haven't tried it in power mode. Yes the leads are indeed Nickel, they did that to avoid having hot legs since they are so long. The dang thing is so big that the glass was getting pretty hot, and also with the amount of wicking needed it causes an air lock so filling it was a pain in the ass. I even tried the "stick something in the wick holes to provide room for air escape" to still more ass pain. Went ahead and made my one SS316L 26awg coil and stuck it in there. I wrapped around 3mm, I don't know how many wraps I made but with all the space I will say it is a whole bunch! I don't count them anymore unless it's dual coil, but it came out to .55 ohms.

I really enjoy the tank itself. I haven't had a flavorgasm like this since my first hit off a Kayfun. The airflow is a bit of a bitch, but once you try the single and dual and find your sweet spot it's set and forget. For me, I like the dual ring about 1/2 closed off. I've also found that filling it I have to use a dropper...which I very much dislike droppers. I have done it with my unicorn bottles, but they're JUUUUUST too stubby to get into the fill hole.

Very informative. TY. I had originally ordered mine through angel cigs but got tired of the constant changing of the ship date so I finally cancelled my order through them and snagged one from origin vapes and it will be here today. I am super excited to get to try this puppy out.

Ohwatafool

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Very informative. TY. I had originally ordered mine through angel cigs but got tired of the constant changing of the ship date so I finally cancelled my order through them and snagged one from origin vapes and it will be here today. I am super excited to get to try this puppy out.

It's all mainly subjective, but I believe I will recommend this tank to anyone that loves flavor over clouds and doesn't mind filling. A lot.

I actually did the same thing. Ordered through Angel Cigs on April 1st and realized they were about the only vendor NOT shipping it yet. Ordered from Origin and VapeSourcing last Thursday and they both shipped the same day. Origin got here first, but it was a fixed race with them being in New York and all. I just got a shipping notice from AngelCigs this morning. I forgot to cancel the order...looks like I got 3 of them now!

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It's all mainly subjective, but I believe I will recommend this tank to anyone that loves flavor over clouds and doesn't mind filling. A lot.

I actually did the same thing. Ordered through Angel Cigs on April 1st and realized they were about the only vendor NOT shipping it yet. Ordered from Origin and VapeSourcing last Thursday and they both shipped the same day. Origin got here first, but it was a fixed race with them being in New York and all. I just got a shipping notice from AngelCigs this morning. I forgot to cancel the order...looks like I got 3 of them now!
lol good thing you like the tank :) I made sure I sent the message to cancel right after I ordered from origin. All of vaping is technically subjective but its good hear that it is customizable to peoples wants/likes. When they kayfun's first came out I was all over them and loved them. They were the only tank I truly enjoyed well that and the kayfun styled like the orchid till the subohm rage hit the market :)

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I can second all these things. Didn't have an issue filling it the first few times, but last night it was just not going down that hole. And, I have the same issue with the unicorn bottles, just not quite long enough. I was able to fill it by just filling up the top portion then stabbing my tweezers into the wicks and moving them around until the air bubbled up and juice flowed down, but it was a pain. I'll probably build up some coils for it tonight. Nothing bad to say about it, just needs some care like all tanks. That notch coil is pretty great, but just not perfect for me, I'd like a little bit less resistance and someone else mentioned some horizontal ridges might be a good idea as well.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried closing it 2/3 of the way but it is still too much air for MTL. That sucks, now I may have to go back to DL, not really a problem when at home but at work.....
Yeah just testing it I needed to close to just a sliver for a decent MTL resistance (for me). But, I haven't tried it vaping yet just screwing around with the airflow before I had it all set up.

F

fckaugust8th

Yeah just testing it I needed to close to just a sliver for a decent MTL resistance (for me). But, I haven't tried it vaping yet just screwing around with the airflow before I had it all set up.
When I closed the airflow waaay down, there was almost no vapor but the flavor was coming thru. Got me wondering, it may be good for work where lots of fog is not desirable.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I closed the airflow waaay down, there was almost no vapor but the flavor was coming thru. Got me wondering, it may be good for work where lots of fog is not desirable.
I'll need to play with it more when I get home.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you are having trouble filling the tank is it dual coiled? Since I got it I just had it single coiled but I did cut out a lot of the cotton that came pre-installed so I would have more room for juice. Haven't had trouble filling it up with any kind of bottle so far, the fill hole is big enough I just have to aim but I don't have another coil there to get in the way.

I wouldn't say it is going to replace the Steam Engine, Crown or Cleito for the top of the tank list but I really like how fast the notch coil ramps up and the flavor is really good.

I am really liking the Defiance tank by COV now that I have replaced the ceramic coil with the Vengeance coil. The ceramic coil was good but didn't last too long.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When you are having trouble filling the tank is it dual coiled? Since I got it I just had it single coiled but I did cut out a lot of the cotton that came pre-installed so I would have more room for juice. Haven't had trouble filling it up with any kind of bottle so far, the fill hole is big enough I just have to aim but I don't have another coil there to get in the way.

I wouldn't say it is going to replace the Steam Engine, Crown or Cleito for the top of the tank list but I really like how fast the notch coil ramps up and the flavor is really good.

I am really liking the Defiance tank by COV now that I have replaced the ceramic coil with the Vengeance coil. The ceramic coil was good but didn't last too long.
Single coil. I wanted to see test the "plug and play" aspect. It's the same issue I had with my Avocado at first until I figured out it's little quirks. Basically the tank pressure that prevents leakage in normal tanks works against you in these top coil tanks. So the juice dribbled on the edge of that hole blocking off any airflow, and the airbubble in the tank didn't want to release, it took a lot of poking to basically pull the air up out of the juice. I'm sure it'll be manageable just like the Avocado is now, just gotta figure out the right method and likely trim the cotton side up a bit.

Ohwatafool

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When you are having trouble filling the tank is it dual coiled?

Nope, single coil. I indeed did trim the wicks, length wasn't this issue, it was the girth (teehee and haha.) The Notch coil just required the wick to be so thick that it kind of vapor locked the tank whilst I was refilling it. No where for the air to escape when displaced by the juice. Totally wasn't impossible, just more hassel than my short fuse could handle.

VU Sponsors