Become a Patron!

Working nights and dealing with daytime noises

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's what's pissing me off today. Can't fucking sleep because my lovely wife has to yell at the cat, the dog barks, and now she's vacuuming because we're gonna have people in our house all weekend, reunion time. And guess who has to work all weekend? My tired angry ass does. So anybody that works graveyard and wants to shoot the next jackass that drives by their house blaring their damn music or the person in the other room who forgot your house was built in the 20s so the damn walls are thinner than an anorexic you're more than welcome to chime in and tell everyone how fucking tired u are. Also the damn house shakes even when the dog walks thru, so imagine what 10 ppl in my little Bitty house is gonna be like for the next 2 days. I'm already pissed. Redbull & being a jackass at work are about the only things keeping me awake. Oh, and did i mention 12 hrs with 0 vape breaks?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Get a hotel room for the weekend?

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what's pissing me off today. Can't fucking sleep because my lovely wife has to yell at the cat, the dog barks, and now she's vacuuming because we're gonna have people in our house all weekend, reunion time. And guess who has to work all weekend? My tired angry ass does. So anybody that works graveyard and wants to shoot the next jackass that drives by their house blaring their damn music or the person in the other room who forgot your house was built in the 20s so the damn walls are thinner than an anorexic you're more than welcome to chime in and tell everyone how fucking tired u are. Also the damn house shakes even when the dog walks thru, so imagine what 10 ppl in my little Bitty house is gonna be like for the next 2 days. I'm already pissed. Redbull & being a jackass at work are about the only things keeping me awake. Oh, and did i mention 12 hrs with 0 vape breaks?
Sounds like you need a divorce. Knowing your hours, she still decides to have people over... Could she be any less considerate? Just tell anyone that shows up to leave. If she doesn't like it, she can go too. Me and my girlfriend are on somewhat different hours, neither one of us invites people over when the other is sleeping. That is respect, plain and simple.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I feel for you.

Had worked night shift at a local ACME for 2 years. Lived right next to a township garage at the time. So often had the sound of big trucks on the road and outside my bedroom window. Sucked even more in the winter time with the snow plows and salt trucks. Felt like I wasted 2 years of my life.

Occasionally worked night shift while at walmart as well. No more then 4 weeks at a time though since after that sleep deprivation started setting in.

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No hotel room for me, don't like hooker stink. Think that's all I'd get around here lol.

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get one of those on the floor air cleaners to muffle noise and vibrations. I bought one as a gift for someone and they now sleep through anything while being in a very noisy location of the house above the washer/dryer and near the garage house exit. You have to knock very loudly on their door to have any chance to wake them. Frees up the rest of the family to live a normal daytime life.

Ear plugs kind of work but sleeping with plastic stuck in your ears all the time can't be good for ear canal health and they don't help with the vibrations of day time activities.

Lastly, hang in there and try to keep your shit together. Being tired makes me extremely cranky, vindictive, and self-righteous. Please don't let that happen to you when you have a houseful of reunion guests. Deep breaths, smile, and roll with it.

I assume you already have the black out curtains. If not lay a super dark thin piece of material (black t-shirt works) over the top third of your head above your nose for comfortable black out sleep.

Be kind to your wife, she is doing the housework. No fun.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel for ya man,I've never had a daytime job in the 22 years i've been working. My last job was 3 days on 4 days off,4 days on 3 days off, 12 hours from 7pm to 7 am. Now it's 330 to midnight. My favorite is when ppl call in the middle of the day and then get pissy with you cuz they just woke you up. I feel like saying' I tell ya what, I'll call you back at 3 in the morning and we can continue the discussion then.' My second favorite are the asshole wrist flicking biker dicks that drive through the neighborhood all day long....

rainidaze

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I work nights (and days...2 jobs) and have a firecracker enthusiast in the neighborhood. I bought earplugs. You should really try them.

Oh, and a sleep mask, too. Essential.

Good luck to you! Hang in there.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I work a normal 8-to-5 during the day and have a writing gig that keeps me going until 1 or 2 a.m. some nights - I feel your pain. Bonus: I live in the flight path for one of the busiest single-runway airports in the world, which thankfully has an 11 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. curfew - it's like a built-in alarm clock, I rarely sleep past 6:31...

VU Sponsors