Become a Patron!

Working on a study about vaping

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Vaping Underground. I work at the Center for Critical Public Health, which is a research group focused on challenging the status quo in public health. The main thing that brings me here is that the center is gearing up for a project that will look at vaping from a cultural perspective, and we would like to post a thread here at VU to learn more about vaping from anyone who would be interested in joining the conversation - a little bit like an online focus group.

After talking to a moderator about this, my understanding is that this kind of conversation should go in the Online Advocacy forum - so the current plan is to post a new thread there (including info about what we're doing, and a couple questions to get started). If anyone has suggestions/feedback/etc. on this or anything else, please PM me any time!

I don't have a personal vaping story exactly, but on a personal level anyway - I got especially interested in vaping because of a friend who was having trouble quitting smoking and wanted to know more about other nicotine products. The more I dug into other ways to use nicotine like vaping, the more I realized that I had to learn. Also since I tend to be into technology stuff in general, the DIY side of vaping & the different ways people use vaping gear are especially interesting to me.

So yeah, that's me. Another thing I wanted to mention is that I could post findings from this study once it's complete on a forum here, if that is something that the community would be interested in... or if you want to have a summary sent to you personally, please just send me a PM and we can arrange that. And thanks for taking the time to read this.

- Rachelle Annechino

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome, and good luck... I'm sure the wolves who savage anyone claiming a scientific interest in vaping will be along shortly...

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome, and good luck... I'm sure the wolves who savage anyone claiming a scientific interest in vaping will be along shortly...
Ha - oh well, I can see why people could be skeptical. Swear I'm not an ANTZ!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Vaping Underground. I work at the Center for Critical Public Health, which is a research group focused on challenging the status quo in public health. The main thing that brings me here is that the center is gearing up for a project that will look at vaping from a cultural perspective, and we would like to post a thread here at VU to learn more about vaping from anyone who would be interested in joining the conversation - a little bit like an online focus group.

After talking to a moderator about this, my understanding is that this kind of conversation should go in the Online Advocacy forum - so the current plan is to post a new thread there (including info about what we're doing, and a couple questions to get started). If anyone has suggestions/feedback/etc. on this or anything else, please PM me any time!

I don't have a personal vaping story exactly, but on a personal level anyway - I got especially interested in vaping because of a friend who was having trouble quitting smoking and wanted to know more about other nicotine products. The more I dug into other ways to use nicotine like vaping, the more I realized that I had to learn. Also since I tend to be into technology stuff in general, the DIY side of vaping & the different ways people use vaping gear are especially interesting to me.

So yeah, that's me. Another thing I wanted to mention is that I could post findings from this study once it's complete on a forum here, if that is something that the community would be interested in... or if you want to have a summary sent to you personally, please just send me a PM and we can arrange that. And thanks for taking the time to read this.

- Rachelle Annechino
Is this the one you are talking about on your website?

E-cigarettes & youth cultures
Concerns about the emergence and growing popularity of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) such as e-cigarettes and vaping systems have been raised by the public health community. Three specific concerns related to ENDS have emerged in the literature as relevant for adolescents and young adults: (1) ENDS may threaten tobacco denormalization efforts that are intended to make smoking socially unacceptable, (2) ENDS may be used together with, not in place of, conventional cigarettes (dual-use), and (3) ENDS may serve as a gateway into smoking. To date, these concerns are largely speculative because too little research has investigated their relevance for young people. This study takes a socio-cultural approach to understanding meanings associated with ENDS use, relationships between ENDS and conventional smoking, and ENDS practices for California adolescents and young adults between the ages of 15-25. We want to hear how young people think about these devices from their own perspectives.

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is a hobbyist forum, which doesn't represent the average vaper....
Thanks - yeah, this is like a first step. The next step in a few months or so will be interviewing people who vape. For that bit we're hoping to get to talk to both hobbyists and not-hobbyists, people who are into different kinds of e-cigarettes or vaping systems, etc. Still trying to figure out the best ways to find lots of different kinds of vapers though...

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Concerns about the emergence and growing popularity of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) such as e-cigarettes and vaping systems have been raised by the public health community. Three specific concerns related to ENDS have emerged in the literature as relevant for adolescents and young adults: (1) ENDS may threaten tobacco denormalization efforts that are intended to make smoking socially unacceptable, (2) ENDS may be used together with, not in place of, conventional cigarettes (dual-use), and (3) ENDS may serve as a gateway into smoking. To date, these concerns are largely speculative because too little research has investigated their relevance for young people. This study takes a socio-cultural approach to understanding meanings associated with ENDS use, relationships between ENDS and conventional smoking, and ENDS practices for California adolescents and young adults between the ages of 15-25. We want to hear how young people think about these devices from their own perspectives.
That's the one... For this part we're not just talking to young people though - it's more a way to try to understand some of the broader context + learn from people with different kinds of experience and knowledge first -

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks - yeah, this is like a first step. The next step in a few months or so will be interviewing people who vape. For that bit we're hoping to get to talk to both hobbyists and not-hobbyists, people who are into different kinds of e-cigarettes or vaping systems, etc. Still trying to figure out the best ways to find lots of different kinds of vapers though...

The average vaper isn't on forums, so no idea how you would find them...

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Your study would probably be better-served, @surrogatekey, by having people hang out at local tobacconists and vape shops, and interview customers that show up to buy vape hardware and e-juice. I think you'll find most of those who hang out on forums such as this one are hobbyists, vaping aficionados and advocates, and purveyors of vaping hardware and juice.

Welcome to VU, nonetheless!

Last edited:

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your study would probably be better-served, @surrogatekey, by having people hang out at local tobacconists and vape shops, and interview customers that show up to buy vape hardware and e-juice. I think you'll find most of those who hang out on forums such as this one are hobbyists, vaping aficionados, advocates and purveyors of hardware and juice.

Welcome to VU, nonetheless!
Thanks for the welcome & for the suggestions

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha - oh well, I can see why people could be skeptical. Swear I'm not an ANTZ!
The one thing that concerns me is this statement at the top of the webpage of your funding source for this study:

"The Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program of California (TRDRP) offers a unique source of funding that supports investigators at all eligible California institutions who are engaged in research that directly contributes to the elimination of smoking and tobacco use and mitigates its human and economic costs in California."

No one who vapes considers e-liquids that may or may not contain chemically-extracted nicotine to be "tobacco products," but we're well aware that most common parlance makes this mistake. Therefore, while it's a jump, it's not a huge leap to the assumption that the purpose of your study is to "contribute to the elimination" of consumer access to vapor products.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm a vaper enthusiast and a DIY'er in every facet of the practice. But I am not a tobacco user anymore. Just to clarify things.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm very curious regarding the agenda here. Are you trying to prove what we vapers already know? That vaping is far healthier than cigarettes and is a successful cessation tool. Or that vaping is killing us all by twisting facts, skewing evidence by reading studies about vaping 200 mg of nicotine at 1200 degrees in 3 seconds killing mice? What a is the political stance behind your study?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
adsPage-OOH-wild1.jpg

I drive by a few billboards like this plastered all over my town every day. Even with just a few words it's littered with logical fallacy and entirely disingenuous - my concern is that anything we say can and will be used against us when the interviewer is being paid by an outfit with a predetermined goal of demonizing our preferred means of harm reduction (note I won't go so far as to say harm elimination, nor will most well-informed former smokers who've adopted vaping).

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The one thing that concerns me is this statement at the top of the webpage of your funding source for this study:

"The Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program of California (TRDRP) offers a unique source of funding that supports investigators at all eligible California institutions who are engaged in research that directly contributes to the elimination of smoking and tobacco use and mitigates its human and economic costs in California."

No one who vapes considers e-liquids that may or may not contain chemically-extracted nicotine to be "tobacco products," but we're well aware that most common parlance makes this mistake. Therefore, while it's a jump, it's not a huge leap to the assumption that the purpose of your study is to "contribute to the elimination" of consumer access to vapor products.
What worries me more is that its being funded in California

Nice catch I read this too I guess I just figured this was another fucking study that has secret agenda's or worse they do not even know whey they are doing what they are doing all they know is someone has told them it has to be done..

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Upon further consideration: Relative to our visitor's web site...

Concerns about the emergence and growing popularity of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) such as e-cigarettes and vaping systems have been raised by the public health community. Three specific concerns related to ENDS have emerged in the literature as relevant for adolescents and young adults:
Please excuse me for being somewhat sceptical of the aims of the "public health community" (whatever that is). But, being as the whole of the "medical community" cannot seem to decide, from one decade to the next, what is healthy and what is not: I'm hard put to place much faith in some amorphous "public health community" effort.

(1) ENDS may threaten tobacco denormalization efforts that are intended to make smoking socially unacceptable,
I'm no longer a smoker and, in fact, find both the smell and detritus associated with cigarette smoking odious. However: I'm am vehemently opposed to any propaganda campaign that seeks to make a legal behaviour "socially unacceptable."

(2) ENDS may be used together with, not in place of, conventional cigarettes (dual-use),
So? That's like saying chewing gum may be used together with, not in place of, conventional cigarettes.

and (3) ENDS may serve as a gateway into smoking.
OH NOES! Not a... a... a... GATEWAY DRUG!!!

Shades of removed Madness
shake.gif

To date, these concerns are largely speculative ...
"Largely?" How about wholly?

The more I consider the OP's stated objectives, and consider what this "public health community" organization appears to be about, the less favourable I find either.

Last edited by a moderator:

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The more I consider the OP's stated objectives, and consider what this "public health community" organization appears to be about, the less favourable I find either.
This right here ^.^

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

This is exactly the kind of thing we want to hear about (in the sorta-like-online-focus-group thread especially... except I didn't post it yet... will go post it now...) Our center's mission is to center voices that have been underrecognized by the mainstream. There are different perspectives on the roles that vaping should play relative to smoking, tobacco use, and reducing illness ["human costs"]. We want to understand vapers' perspectives.

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Upon further consideration: Relative to our visitor's web site...

Please excuse me for being somewhat sceptical of the aims of the "public health community" (whatever that is).
By all means be skeptical, but I just wanted to mention since it seems unclear...If you're interested in more context for that phrase, please check out the "What is critical public health" bit in the center's mission statement.

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
surrogatekey , In our private conversation you started with me , I told you where you were to put your thread, I even provided you a link. >> Here is what I told you>>If you do start a thread about this, it has to go in this area (only)
http://vapingunderground.com/forums/other-advocacy.369/
And you cannot post private e-mails or phone numbers

Thread moved
This was just a thread to introduce myself, but it's getting a little deep; my apologies. We won't quote anything in this thread; it would go against our ethics standards.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This was just a thread to introduce myself, but it's getting a little deep; my apologies. We won't quote anything in this thread; it would go against our ethics standards.

Some vapers are very paranoid concerning their addiction...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is exactly the kind of thing we want to hear about (in the sorta-like-online-focus-group thread especially... except I didn't post it yet... will go post it now...) Our center's mission is to center voices that have been underrecognized by the mainstream. There are different perspectives on the roles that vaping should play relative to smoking, tobacco use, and reducing illness ["human costs"]. We want to understand vapers' perspectives.
I hate to further the discussion too far here, and even more to turn into one of the wolves I warned you about, but I'm still curious when it comes to establishing where you're coming from before deciding whether to participate in any of the dialogue you're hoping to open in another, forthcoming thread...

Are you studying whether or not e-cigarettes have a benefit when used as an alternative to tobacco products with an eye toward harm reduction, and how to weigh that benefit against the detriment of youth being drawn to the practice who might not otherwise have become interested in either e-cigarettes or tobacco products? Or have you already determined that e-cigarettes are a scourge that should be lumped in with actual tobacco products and viciously attacked, and you're just trying to understand how we think so you can more effectively attack individuals whose experiences don't match your preconceptions in a public forum?

A candid and thorough response to this question would, I believe, go a long way toward helping me and other forum members like me decide whether or not to cooperate with your research. We understand your organization likes to study problems from unique viewpoints, but we don't know whether your funding source presents you with a conflict if you find that we're not as evil as they've already decided we are.

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you studying whether or not e-cigarettes have a benefit when used as an alternative to tobacco products with an eye toward harm reduction, and how to weigh that benefit against the detriment of youth being drawn to the practice who might not otherwise have become interested in either e-cigarettes or tobacco products?

The methods used for this study wouldn't be able to answer this whole question, but it should contribute to understanding things like how to maximize benefits and minimize risks to young people.

(thinking it might help to break this one down)
have you already determined that e-cigarettes are a scourge

no

that should be lumped in with actual tobacco products

no

and viciously attacked,

no

and you're just trying to understand how we think so you can more effectively attack individuals whose experiences don't match your preconceptions in a public forum?

no

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The methods used for this study wouldn't be able to answer this whole question, but it should contribute to understanding things like how to maximize benefits and minimize risks to young people.

(thinking it might help to break this one down)

no

no

no

no
Okay, thanks for answering the call-out. I'm happy to help with whatever info you need, whenever you're ready to begin your on-topic chat. Will keep an eye out for it...

noejuice

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You have your Masters from the School of Information at Berkeley. You're an Associate Research Scientist at the Prevention Research Center.

You're the Project and Information Systems Manager for the California Smoking Study funded by Berkeley.

You were scientifically researching why anti smoking media propaganda funded by big tobacco and government doesn't work on Black females and other disenfranchised groups such as the working poor.

And now your bosses have assigned you to vaping. Your overlords want to stop vaping/nicotine use in the name of public health and you're exploiting this forum to bring home the data that your bosses have told you to fetch.

The globalist power structure tiptoes into the Vaping Underground.

This forum (although I am in no way qualified to speak for it at all) is majority settled down old coots. The data you seek Rachelle, can be found on Instagram (more of a youth culture) where every entry is a quote for your study, but you already know that don't you. So:

Why come mess with people on here if your focus is on public policy and how it affects young people?

Her coyness and lying about who she is and what she wants grates on me. She's not a nic user and she works for the man. That's all I need to know.

noejuice

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rachelle is going to interview (a term used by law enforcement) people on this forum between the ages of 15-25. She could just pull quotes off of here, Instagram, and other sources. But when she officially ASKS people if they want to be interviewed, it becomes part of a FORMAL record in her report like a cop.

That's why she's seeking new interviews (what a bogus term). She can't just come on here and chat normally. She has to ask for peoples permission to use their quotes so that she can use it in her OFFICIAL STUDY that will be used to regulate vaping.

Rachelle will not respond to my posts because she knows people like me aren't stupid and see right through her.

Let me ask you this, members of Vaping Underground -- What will stop her from putting up sham accounts who 'volunteer' to answer her formal questions?
The only way her 'study' would be valid is if the accounts were of members in good standing for at least six months, right?

Now let's drop the bomb on this bullshit. I challenge any member of Vaping Underground to simply click through her site and the links therein and tell me that she is not an employee of an organization that is totally dedicated to regulating vaping.

She's dirty. She works for the other side. I dare her to respond to me. She won't do it because upon a simple cross examination she will fold and admit her agenda is ANTI-VAPE.

This womans testimony gets formally accepted into the Congressional Record. She's part of team bad guy and she knows it. Her study will be used to advise regulators to make vaping illegal.

Her study is going to maximize benefits and minimize risks for young people. Yeah, by banning vaping. Everything about her sucks.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe this, OP was pushing that personal information such as names , phone numbers and e-mails be allowed to be posted on live forum, when told no, questioned it several times. I'm guessing the use of the private info would be proof to include in her vendetta.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL ..ethic standards...LOL....I've lived long enough to learn to never trust anyone who says they have an"ethic standard"....what kind of Orwellian newspeak is that.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
By all means be skeptical, but I just wanted to mention since it seems unclear...If you're interested in more context for that phrase, please check out the "What is critical public health" bit in the center's mission statement.
surrogatekey, you and your organization lost me entirely with "(1) ENDS may threaten tobacco denormalization efforts that are intended to make smoking socially unacceptable." With that one statement, I'm pretty certain I know just who and what you are. Irrespective of vaping: I do not like it.

I do owe you a small debt of gratitude, however, for you've unwittingly chosen for me my VU avatar. I wonder if you'll grok the reference?

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Let me make something unmistakeably clear, to those who may feel my prior post harsh: I react very, very badly to attempts to indoctrinate, regardless of the form, reason or legitimacy of the cause, and regardless of my own views on the subject or issue. Do not indoctrinate. Educate. Do not propagandise, but, rather, inform.

I am thoroughly weary of government and seemingly well-intentioned "public interest" organizations being in my face all the time. Wearied nearly to the point of doing just the opposite of whatever narrative they're pushing, just to spite them.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Was done as soon as I saw California

noejuice

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
http://trdrp.yes4yes.com/fundedresearch/grant_page.php?grant_id=36523

Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems and California Youth
Institution: HBSA, Inc.
Investigator(s): Tamar Antin, DrPH
Award Cycle: 2015 (Cycle 24) Grant #: 24RT-0019 Award: $571,269
Subject Area: Regulatory Science/New Products
Award Type: Research Project Awards
Abstracts
Initial Award Abstract
Over the past decade, concerns about the emergence and growing popularity of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) have been raised by the public health community. Three specific concerns related to ENDS have emerged in the literature as relevant for adolescents and young adults, whose use of ENDS has increased substantially in recent years. These concerns include: (1) ENDS may threaten tobacco denormalization efforts that are intended to make smoking socially unacceptable, (2) ENDS may be used together with, not in place of, conventional cigarettes (dual-use), and (3) ENDS may serve as a gateway into smoking. To date, these concerns are only speculative because too little research has investigated their relevance for young people.

Our study considers ENDS from a socio-cultural perspective that emphasizes the role that ENDS play in the lives of young people. Our study considers the role of ENDS in youth cultures, the meanings associated with its use, its connections to conventional smoking, and the practices of ENDS for California young people between the ages of 15-25. This qualitative project will include 2 phases of data collection. In Phase 1, we will conduct 4 online group interviews in open discussion forums catering to ENDS users in California. Phase 2 includes 60 in-depth, face-to-face interviews with ENDS users. Our study also includes an extensive and ongoing dissemination component that makes data from the study regularly available to the public. Analyses of the data will shed light on the potential of ENDS to (1) promote nicotine dependency by encouraging dual-use with cigarettes, (2) act as a gateway into cigarette smoking, (3) serve as a cessation aid for young people, and (4) jeopardize tobacco denormalization efforts that aim to make cigarette smoking socially unacceptable.

By investigating the socio-cultural factors associated with ENDS use among young people, we can more fully understand (1) the broader role that ENDS play in young people’s lives as well as the reasons for their adoption, (2) the potential unanticipated consequences that may result from the growing popularity of ENDS among young people, and (3) the possible impact of various ENDS regulations for young people. Understanding these issues is critically important for designing an effective public health response to the increasing use of ENDS.

This is the grant Rachelle is working on. If not please post the one you are working on.

I could easily see a general call for action through out the Vaping Underground community not to respond personally to you in any way shape or form including PMs, surveys, emails, video chats or any other form of personalized testimony, especially 'interviews'.

By and large this is a community of thoughtful, mature, and intelligent adults. Find another group to leech. Actually, don't bother them either. Do some due diligence before busting down the joint.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm offended

noejuice

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Watch her. She won't respond to this thread at all because we're not her 'target' group. She's gonna pop up in a new thread offering up 'interviews' to young people who have not heard of her yet.

Also, there's a whole series of these funded studies summarized at www.trdrp.org

They're breeding like rats.

I doubt that admin will want to use this forum as a 'test bed' for these people, but I have no idea what's going on.

Maybe Rachelles' clumsy and naive entrance here did everyone a big favor to watch out for them. Doesn't seem like VU would have an interest in helping them build their databases off of the membership here.

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, thanks for answering the call-out. I'm happy to help with whatever info you need, whenever you're ready to begin your on-topic chat. Will keep an eye out for it...
Much appreciated

surrogatekey

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe this, OP was pushing that personal information such as names , phone numbers and e-mails be allowed to be posted on live forum, when told no, questioned it several times. I'm guessing the use of the private info would be proof to include in her vendetta.
I inquired about posting my name, phone number and email for people to use to contact me. I did not inquire about asking for others' private information.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I inquired about posting my name, phone number and email for people to use to contact me. I did not inquire about asking for others' private information.
I believe I told you that contact information is to be shared and or exchanged via our Pm system , both yours and any of our members here. That still stands.
Hope that helped:)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you seem either obtuse or dishonest in your refusal to aknowledge and address some of the concerns people here have about the integrity and the fair mindedness of your orginization....your reaction makes me inclined to think you already have an agenda.

Hottvapz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find this a little disheartening. Most of the members will not participate in a study with what looks to be a hidden agenda. I feel some concerns need to be addressed and more about this study made more public.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just send me a PM and I will tell you everything about electronic cigarettes and its users...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd still like to believe taking a rational approach focused on thoughtful, factually-based responses highlighting the reasons we feel the way we do about vaping will get us farther than something along the lines of

Researcher: Hi, I'd like to talk
Collective Mob: Eeek! Science! Fuck science and learny-people who go to schools and stuff, you go to hell!

Eventual Report: "Attempts to discuss and/or research users' motives were met with extreme hostility. None of the nicotine inhalers were willing or able to explain their reason for using these cigarette-like devices..."

http://trdrp.yes4yes.com/fundedresearch/grant_page.php?grant_id=36523

Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems and California Youth
Institution: HBSA, Inc.
Investigator(s): Tamar Antin, DrPH
Award Cycle: 2015 (Cycle 24) Grant #: 24RT-0019 Award: $571,269
Subject Area: Regulatory Science/New Products
Award Type: Research Project Awards
Abstracts
Initial Award Abstract
Over the past decade, concerns about the emergence and growing popularity of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) have been raised by the public health community. Three specific concerns related to ENDS have emerged in the literature as relevant for adolescents and young adults, whose use of ENDS has increased substantially in recent years. These concerns include: (1) ENDS may threaten tobacco denormalization efforts that are intended to make smoking socially unacceptable, (2) ENDS may be used together with, not in place of, conventional cigarettes (dual-use), and (3) ENDS may serve as a gateway into smoking. To date, these concerns are only speculative because too little research has investigated their relevance for young people.

Our study considers ENDS from a socio-cultural perspective that emphasizes the role that ENDS play in the lives of young people. Our study considers the role of ENDS in youth cultures, the meanings associated with its use, its connections to conventional smoking, and the practices of ENDS for California young people between the ages of 15-25. This qualitative project will include 2 phases of data collection. In Phase 1, we will conduct 4 online group interviews in open discussion forums catering to ENDS users in California. Phase 2 includes 60 in-depth, face-to-face interviews with ENDS users. Our study also includes an extensive and ongoing dissemination component that makes data from the study regularly available to the public. Analyses of the data will shed light on the potential of ENDS to (1) promote nicotine dependency by encouraging dual-use with cigarettes, (2) act as a gateway into cigarette smoking, (3) serve as a cessation aid for young people, and (4) jeopardize tobacco denormalization efforts that aim to make cigarette smoking socially unacceptable.

By investigating the socio-cultural factors associated with ENDS use among young people, we can more fully understand (1) the broader role that ENDS play in young people’s lives as well as the reasons for their adoption, (2) the potential unanticipated consequences that may result from the growing popularity of ENDS among young people, and (3) the possible impact of various ENDS regulations for young people. Understanding these issues is critically important for designing an effective public health response to the increasing use of ENDS.

This is the grant Rachelle is working on. If not please post the one you are working on.

I could easily see a general call for action through out the Vaping Underground community not to respond personally to you in any way shape or form including PMs, surveys, emails, video chats or any other form of personalized testimony, especially 'interviews'.

By and large this is a community of thoughtful, mature, and intelligent adults. Find another group to leech. Actually, don't bother them either. Do some due diligence before busting down the joint.
What exactly are we attacking here?

For me, the most objectionable part is the bit about "threaten[ing] tobacco denormalization efforts that are intended to make smoking socially unacceptable." That may be on someone's agenda, but it's certainly not on mine, and that being a central tenet of the research (I'd like to hear Rachelle comment specifically on what the emphasis is on this facet of the end report) it certainly does make me nervous about contributing.

But I think that the end result of the paper could have some positives, if the focus is also to explore how vaping could "(1) promote nicotine dependency by encouraging dual-use with cigarettes, (2) act as a gateway into cigarette smoking, (3) serve as a cessation aid for young people."

I feel very strongly that the vast majority of dual-users are either seeking to quit or primary smokers seeking to reduce their tobacco consumption, and I believe that any legitimate and objective research on the topic would prove this - which would ultimately be a win for vapers.

I disagree strongly with the theory that vaping is a gateway to tobacco use of any sort, and again I'm thoroughly confident that an objective look at the facts would bear my theory out.

I just as strongly (for the sake of being "strong" with all of my words here) believe that vaping is an incredibly effective cessation aid - my wife and I smoked for 15 years when we quit at age 30 (a little outside the target age range of this study), but there are a handful of younger VU members who are former smokers - I doubt they're alone, and most of them cruise by for a quick hit on looking at equipment advice before moving on and actually quitting rather than becoming involved in our hobbyist community.

So that's three out of four topics of the study that I believe would come out making vapers look good, and one topic that I think is total bullshit that shouldn't even be up for discussion in an allegedly "free" society. In my world that's not the worst outlook ever, and generally the inverse favorability ratio I have to three out of four objectives stated by any politician, choose your party...

I find this a little disheartening. Most of the members will not participate in a study with what looks to be a hidden agenda. I feel some concerns need to be addressed and more about this study made more public.
I agree. I'm trying to break down my concerns and reasons for having them as explicitly as possible so they can't help but be addressed...expressing distrust for anyone who's ever practiced medicine, claiming that a person we don't know (but have reasons to be suspicious about) is as lacking in ethics as your typical police officer, allegations of fascism, expressing distrust for people because of their place of origin - these don't drive the debate. Not to say that anyone is actually attempting to have one.

Flame on...I'm pretty sure we've chased her off anyways, so this is pretty much moot.

VU Sponsors