Become a Patron!

Wotofo Profile Unity RTA review by KingPin!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Folks,

After the hugely successful launch of the Profile RDA in collaboration with Mr.JustRight1, Wotofo commissioned the help of Brian (aka The Vapor Chronicles, or TVC) to help bridge the design gap between RDA (Rebuildable dripper) and RTA (Rebuildable Tank), this joint collaboration between the pair led to the name “Unity”.

Rebuildable mesh tanks aren’t a new thing, however outside of ready-made coils; until the Profile RDA came about I wasn’t really sold on mesh at all. To this day I’m still on the fence, don’t get me wrong I found the Profile a decent vape, so long as I tamed that wicking and kept the cotton moist, what I did like though was how well it worked with single battery mods and lower wattages, blisteringly quick ramp up speed is something mesh majors on, and it was in this that Mr.JustRights idea to keep the cotton firmly pressed against the mesh was ripe for a winning design combination, and as long as it’s kept saturated helped it to deliver an impressive end product.

So let’s see how they both got on with the RTA version which Wotofo kindly sent me for the once over…. As always I don’t like to make recommendations in my reviews, instead ill present you with my findings should you be interested in the product.

684BE8F9-9EB1-4862-84AE-069047708A19.jpeg

What’s in the box?
  • 1 x Profile Unity RTA
  • 1x Chimney Extender
  • 1 x 5ml glass tank section
  • 2 x OFRF nexMesh KA! Mesh sheets (0.13ohms each)
  • 2 x 6mm Agleted Cotton
  • 1 x spare O-rings, post screws, spring
  • 1 x User Manual (worth reading)
  • 1 x Screwdriver
  • 1 x Bending tool
Product Information: https://www.wotofo.com/pages/profile-unity-rta
Available Colours: Black, Gunmetal, Gold, Blue, Stainless Steel, Ranbow available

RTA Specifications
  • Height: 48.5mm
  • Diameter: 25mm
  • Capacity: 3.5ml (5ml with extender)
  • Mesh sheet 16mm L x 6.8mm W (Kanthal – made by OFRF nexMESH
  • Thread Length: 4.2mm
  • Airflow: Two adjustable (5 holes each side 1.4mm each)
  • Drip Tip: Resin (Visible Height: 8.3mm, Width at the tip : 18mm, Tapered Bore 5.9mm up to 8.4mm)
  • Positive Pin: gold plated SS304

Impressions, Build Quality & Assembly

First up is the drip tip, it’s a standard 810 fitting, and rather large in diameter at 18mm. To some this might be a turn off, however they made it so the central bore is more akin to a standard 510 wide bore tip (bore is 5.9mm up to 8.4mm at its widest point). I think it complements the RTA really well and have really enjoyed using it, having said that it’s easy enough to swap out for an 810 if you don’t like it. It’s worth noting either way the Unity doesn’t come with a 510 adaptor, which is unusual for Wotofo considering how many spares they always include.

E488D6E7-4CEC-4777-9001-8B8D07F27439.jpeg

Fit and finish wise there’s a few different areas to note here. I’ll start with the paint job; I have the black variant, and whilst the majority of the tank is finished well, the top cap needs some QC attention, the anodised process wasn’t completed on the very edges, it also looks as though the drip tip has somehow removed some of the paint in places. Normally I prefer black atomisers, but for this particular tank; if I were to pick a colour myself I’d probably go for the stainless steel, I also really like the font of the logo on the front which stands out more on the stainless steel variant.

CBC78EF5-DA87-46C1-86A2-F7D6FEDADB39.jpeg

Second area is disassembly, I had a really tricky time breaking the tank down for the first time, the tank section in particular, which needs to come off to fit the extension piece is done up stupidly tight…I had to used my ceramic tweezers which double as a gripping aid. Thankfully there is a tiny little ledge just above the glass you can grip (avoid grabbing the glass itself though as it will crack if yours is gorilla tightened as well).

B52508AA-5083-4162-9F2E-2D3D2CE471E7.jpeg

Third was undoing the positive screw under the base…the deck does not come out of the base, it actually spins if you try to loosen the screw, you need to keep the chamber on in order to remove it, try to do all of this without it in place and you’ll find the screw holding the ceramic press in place turns as well. To be honest it’s not really necessary to take it all apart as the tank was clean underneath those areas…should you want to though; know that I nearly sheared the head of the screw trying to get the bugger apart.

192A3A67-1DC6-4397-86AE-CE9FF177422A.jpeg

Next I found the threading a little scratchy to begin with on the chamber section, however it does break in after use.

Other than that though its plain sailing for the rest of it, I think they have done a cracking job of the actual design overall. The top cap is a bayonet style, and screws in and out with ease, there’s ample knurling to grab onto, the airflow control ring turns with a nice amount of resistance, the deck is exactly the same as the profile RDA with the addition of wicking wells (I’ll get onto wicking later)...and finally the airflow being side on keeps in line with the style of the RDA before it. Even the post screws have deeper recesses than I’ve seen before from the Wotofo camp, catching nice on the provided screwdriver.

F9B8F742-0155-4A69-89C8-EDA12DBD81C9.jpeg
D8B0A3D7-A23D-4A59-B558-66F4A0F2ECDD.jpeg 685D0043-9272-440A-8230-C8D20061532B.jpeg 76CDABF4-329A-4414-AA40-2B00AF2BD2D2.jpeg

They have made the chamber walls really thick so everything is encapsulated nice and snug, there is a steep dome inside which reduces inside up in contrast to the profile RDA, this translates to a better experience in my opinion, and to be honest design wise I can’t think of much I would want to change on this tank, it’s pretty spot on in my opinion. Ok there is maybe one thing and that’s the juice refill ports are a little too narrow, using gorilla bottle tips does take some positioning in order to avoid spilling over the centre area, but once you get the lean technique down it’s not too bad. Twist top refill nozzles though you’ll need to stream it from above unfortunately

A5D7477A-F6C4-416F-B1CA-4CD4BEDCE546.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Coil Building and Wicking

Wicking, for me anyway, was a giant pain in the ass…the main reason being I was close to nailing it first time out of the gate, but was experiencing hideous leaking on a refill this made me discount the first method I tried altogether and attempt other things…..second time I read the manual (that didn’t work for me either), then I tried trimming it and thinning the tails out, didn’t work same leaking result, I even cremated the cotton on one of the rounds, it was getting to the point I was getting ready to throw the damn thing in frustration…I was either getting dry hits when chain vaping, or experiencing leaking of biblical proportions…it’s not often this happens to me, in fact this is the first tank since I’ve been reviewing I relented on and asked a friend, in a “who wants to be a millionaire style” ….he happened to own one prior to me, in fact I think he was the first on Vaping Underground to snag one from the shop before even youtube land was filling up with vids. He said to me I just do it like this…..my first thoughts were “you what?!” how can that work…..

So rather than me showing the steps…I’d rather place his vid in here to give him full credit…this is the Profile Unity Meowgi wicking technique;…<drum roll>

It turns out I didn’t need to be a qualified barber…just stuff the cotton in the well, I didn’t even comb that huge shagpile out…somehow it defies everything I thought would happen, and wicks like a champ!... More than that it doesn’t need any sort of refilling fannying about...remove the top cap, take your time to refill, replace said cap and crack on…awesome!

There are several things I noted just to add to the info in the vid

1..The Agleted cotton it comes with is thick (6mm)…and the ones you buy from Wotofo are thicker still for some reason…it does seem a bit counter intuitive but avoid the temptation to cut it in half or anything before pulling it through, especially if you want to chain vape this tank and not experience leaking after leaving it sitting there for a while.

2.. Use the tool that comes in the box, bend the mesh over the thick end to put a perfect curve in it before mounting.

3.. Don’t insert the mesh the whole way down into the post as far as it will go. You’ll see in my picture below I have the solid metal strip just above the clamp line…This helps allowing you to pull that thicker cotton through I mentioned above. Try to get the mesh siting as straight, and evenly aligned both sides as possible, and the cotton will pull through pretty easily.

3AFE7EC5-E72C-4F31-921D-501B35E2F659.jpeg

4..when it comes to trimming I deviate slightly from Mr.Meowgi and just follow the scissors round the well area to shape it, rather than squaring it up…ill show a few pics as to what I mean below

AD0854C3-4872-4F34-A553-1F3448510D5F.jpeg
33BCBC56-176C-478A-B09C-9AE2A5E22CFF.jpeg
10C211B3-951E-46AA-B042-B22B9132CB8B.jpeg
C5367BD0-753B-4C9B-8DD0-E9199A4F7813.jpeg
24C30328-35EC-4302-AE12-518FB73CB7CD.jpeg 58F85AF7-4DC4-4BFF-8DAB-13EC5C728741.jpeg
B245BC61-F8AF-44D5-801B-75D6243346E0.jpeg

5..There are two holes just above the juice inlets, so not only is the cotton feeding from the juice well, but its feeding from this secondary inlet above the well…this is critical to note, and the reason why leaving a nice thick wall of cotton above is vital, if you fail block this area, you’ll find it dump’s the tanks entire contents on you when leaving it sitting.

78FC93B0-C34F-4059-81C2-4F69CF60DD96.jpeg

6.. Juice up the whole area well before putting the chamber back on, you want to make sure the cotton is absorbing everything nicely.

7.. Careful when putting the chamber assembly back on, this final step is a bit of a pain, firstly it will be a tight fit and you don’t want to disrupt that nice cotton bed you just made. Secondly you can’t remove the base from the mod (or ohm reader) until the chamber is partially reattached as you’ll find the deck freely spins until the locking cut outs are engaged. So slowly wiggle the chamber on just enough that you can unscrew the base. Once removed turn the whole thing over and twist the base until it catches properly then do it up

8..I found it best not to fill up full on the first time just to make sure everything is still where it should be.

How’s it Vape?

If you like the Profile RDA, you know what the Unity is all about already…if not then it’s a very similar affair in that it’s very cloudy wherever you set the airflow control, its very airy wide open, the draw feel is broadly the same, although I’d say they’ve managed to make it a little smoother this time round, which makes it an absolute pleasure to use (when its wicked ok)

In terms of audible noise its louder the wider you have the airflow setting, personally I like it between 50- 60W with just 3 holes on show which quietens it up a lot, in addition I just find at this setting flavour improves significantly which I prefer.…It’s fair to say don’t be expecting revelations “oh its miles better” than the Profile RDA or anything, but I do think its edges it at similar settings…in shorty mode that gap widens a little more still….what they have achieved here is a successful transition to the RTA variant.

If you haven’t tried the profile RDA, or any mesh for that matter…mesh is weird one to describe, it’s very different to normal round wire coils in that it presents your favourite flavours differently, some like it, others don’t…..personally I think it suits citric flavours (lemon, lime and orange in particular) more than bakery, but out of these two different coil approaches mesh is much more unforgiving. I’d actually go as far as saying it’s not “new vaper friendly”, because if you don’t set it up just right, you will have the worst possible hit you can imagine, get it right though and it’s a lovely satisfying vape well worth the effort.

The unity does drink fairly quickly compared to some out there so I stuck with the extended tube to eek out that extra capacity up to 5ml.

The following pic is just for size purposes, the DPro is unregulated and is probably one of the smallest parallel dual battery mods I own but looks damn good on it. The Unity mesh strips come out at just 0.13 ohms …so you get a massive 130 (ish) watts from it, which is just too much for this tank…90 watts is the absolute max I would go to avoid dry hits.

BDD0F555-58A6-401E-BFFE-2A8FF223BB6B.jpeg

Pro’s

• Great Flavour (Mesh done well)
  • Great cloud production
  • Smooth draw
  • Nice styling
  • Large usable airflow range
  • Don’t have to be a hobby coil builder to unlock its full potential
  • Works great at mid-range wattage settings
  • Ramp up is seriously impressive, (note - it will be an aggressive vape on a mechanical device)
  • If wicked right will not leak or seep juice anywhere
  • Bayonet top cap
  • Decent juice capacity

Con’s

• Wicking takes some sussing out - not really new vaper friendly
  • Juice refill ports could be bigger
  • Quality control could be better in some areas painting wise
  • Was a little tough to dissemble first time, overtightened parts, dry O-rings
  • Threading is a little scratchy, does break in after use though

Final Conclusion

I feel the Profile Unity is a worthy successor of the RDA…once that is; you crack how to wick it!

It’s not the easiest tank to figure out, in fact it took me time to warm to it, it’s the first one I recall ever beating me in the wicking dept. (whilst I’ve been reviewing anyway). Having that much cotton to work with, and keep all nicely saturated does take some shift in thinking from the norms I am used to. Ok in truth I could have persevered and got it eventually, but being part of the vaping community is about seeking answers from others who have already gone through the journey themselves, and on that note once again I want to tip my hat to Mr.Meowgi …thanks matey you saved me much ballache and it’s appreciated.

I’ve been asking myself would I change anything about this tank design wise, honestly outside of personal preference on a few things, and some QC issues for Wotofo to address, I’m struggling to think of anything that comes to mind, it’s a cracking RTA and compliments the rebuildable mesh options out there really well, I’d call it another feather in the cap for Wotofo, MrJustRight1 and TVC.

Thank you for reading my review. I hope you find the information useful, until next time KingPin!

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Loved this read, have to admit to a chuckle or two. Still on the fence if I want one but sounds like it will shine with my main juice profiles. Worth a consideration anyway. Thanks for taking the time.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Loved this read, have to admit to a chuckle or two. Still on the fence if I want one but sounds like it will shine with my main juice profiles. Worth a consideration anyway. Thanks for taking the time.

Hehe my pleasure, certainly is for those citric ones lemon on here is my favourite, just bought a new lemon tart concentrate gonna see how it stacks up when I get round to mixing next

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Hehe my pleasure, certainly is for those citric ones lemon on here is my favourite, just bought a new lemon tart concentrate gonna see how it stacks up when I get round to mixing next
Do tell, which lemon tart?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Do tell, which lemon tart?

263111BA-6932-4294-8E69-F97C1A98FA4B.jpeg

Vampire Vapes ...smells absolutely delicious
Also bought their key lime slime ...another tart recipe

been vaping their sherbet lemon, it’s really nice on the unity although I have a tank and switch it as it’s a sour flavour

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's wild but I have lemon snow cream in both of mine. Glad I was able to help. Great review as always. :cheers:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well done mate and props to the vid Meowgi put up, that should help a lot of people too.

I just rewicked my Profile RTA with rayon, first time using it and it wicks fast. Wasn't even as careful with it as with cotton bacon prime, ran my tails a little longer and used a bit more than I would have with cotton. I can hit it with confidence at 80 watts using rayon for about 3 hits before I get a little dry but chain vape at 75 watts no problem.

I too went through wicking pains with it, first wick using the included wotofo cotton dry hits over 45 watts. Second MUCH better using cotton bacon prime but went to check my build and when reinstalling the deck shifted the cotton and leak city.

Like you said, not a newb friendly tank and I think they can definitely make a lot more improvements with a V2. Love the Profile RDA, still use it at least 4 times a week, not as in love with the RTA, it is good, not great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Well done mate and props to the vid Meowgi put up, that should help a lot of people too.

I just rewicked my Profile RTA with rayon, first time using it and it wicks fast. Wasn't even as careful with it as with cotton bacon prime, ran my tails a little longer and used a bit more than I would have with cotton. I can hit it with confidence at 80 watts using rayon for about 3 hits before I get a little dry but chain vape at 75 watts no problem.

I too went through wicking pains with it, first wick using the included wotofo cotton dry hits over 45 watts. Second MUCH better using cotton bacon prime but went to check my build and when reinstalling the deck shifted the cotton and leak city.

Like you said, not a newb friendly tank and I think they can definitely make a lot more improvements with a V2. Love the Profile RDA, still use it at least 4 times a week, not as in love with the RTA, it is good, not great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Always going to be a mission getting this right and using that much cotton the vid will help for sure,

didn’t think they’d pull it off at all when I first heard about it from Wotofo, but I do prefer this to the RDA myself, wouldn’t change much on here a V2 will be a tweaker if anything I expect ...probably dual mesh or something haha

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Great review as usual. I'm inspired too tackle mine again.

Definitely worth persevering with Bob...#tackle the tampon challenge :giggle: oh on that note sharp scissors are well worth having, even my fiskars struggled cutting through the thickness was gonna use a bolt cutter or something :D

thank you very much

VU Sponsors