Become a Patron!

Wotofo Troll RTA Review

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Great review! I bought two and the flavor is awesome. I found that the grub screws for the cleito rta works great. I immediately put the grub screws in and didn't atempt to touch the Phillips. Thanks again

Hi guys, I also have bought the troll rta and I must say That stro'm finding very well, favlour fantastic and extremely simple regeneration.
I have a problem, namely that despite insert cotton in its slots, I lose a lot of juice. Where is that wrong? I read the review on the first page but I did not understand what I have to be careful to make sure that does not happen

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi guys, I also have bought the troll rta and I must say That stro'm finding very well, favlour fantastic and extremely simple regeneration.
I have a problem, namely that despite insert cotton in its slots, I lose a lot of juice. Where is that wrong? I read the review on the first page but I did not understand what I have to be careful to make sure that does not happen
post some photos so everyone can assist I have 2 and they never leak

post some photos so everyone can assist I have 2 and they never leak

Here are the pictures. This is the last set-up tried with the amount of cotton. I also tried to put a little less, or that came just below the holes where you insert the cotton, but I have the same rislutato namely that loses juice. Even doing the refill with AFC closed once opened begins to lose. I noticed that when I open the cap the liquid rises, perhaps because of the pressure. I don't know where he is wrong

Attachments

• IMG_20170228_182707.jpg
    IMG_20170228_182707.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20170228_182718.jpg
    IMG_20170228_182718.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 42

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here are the pictures. This is the last set-up tried with the amount of cotton. I also tried to put a little less, or that came just below the holes where you insert the cotton, but I have the same rislutato namely that loses juice. Even doing the refill with AFC closed once opened begins to lose. I noticed that when I open the cap the liquid rises, perhaps because of the pressure. I don't know where he is wrong
Ahhh easy one look at the cotton it is sitting over the air hole raise the coils a bit first on both sides first so they are even then insure the cotton is not going over the airholes a bit less cotton as well thats a bit much then you will be good to go

[Quote = "MrScaryZ, posta: 1612585, membro: 1164"] Ahhh facile uno sguardo al cotone si è seduto sopra il foro d'aria sollevano le bobine un po 'prima su entrambi i lati prima in modo che siano anche allora assicurare il cotone non sta andando nel corso degli airholes un po 'meno di cotone così questo è un po' troppo allora si sarà buona per andare [/ quote]

I put so now the cotton like you said. I lifted slightly up the coil and the cotton is much less than before, I also tried to move it to high for not to drop it over the air holes.
I did the refill but continues to lose juice

Attachments

• IMG_20170228_190016.jpg
    IMG_20170228_190016.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 38

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
[Quote = "MrScaryZ, posta: 1612585, membro: 1164"] Ahhh facile uno sguardo al cotone si è seduto sopra il foro d'aria sollevano le bobine un po 'prima su entrambi i lati prima in modo che siano anche allora assicurare il cotone non sta andando nel corso degli airholes un po 'meno di cotone così questo è un po' troppo allora si sarà buona per andare [/ quote]

I put so now the cotton like you said. I lifted slightly up the coil and the cotton is much less than before, I also tried to move it to high for not to drop it over the air holes.
its still sitting over the holes

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

another recommendation I would make is tighten up your coil a bit its a bit loose on the cotton this could in theory cause a bit of dripping from the cotton lessen the spacing some as well..

another recommendation I would make is tighten up your coil a bit its a bit loose on the cotton this could in theory cause a bit of dripping from the cotton lessen the spacing some as well..

Here I made the new coil as you said, squeezing a bit 'more and lifting them slightly. Cotton have decreased the length and tried to keep it as close as possible to the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_20170301_140941.jpg
    IMG_20170301_140941.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20170301_140956.jpg
    IMG_20170301_140956.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 30

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
also In this way the juice just do the refill begins to exit the AFC :(
raise the coils a bit more the cotton is still over the holes just a bit both sides so the cotton leaves the coils and goes straight down another question are you using wetting the cotton with ejuice after wicking? and what percentage is your PG/VG

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here I made the new coil as you said, squeezing a bit 'more and lifting them slightly. Cotton have decreased the length and tried to keep it as close as possible to the deck.
the length of the cotton was not the problem it is the cotton over the holes and is that regular cotton or? it looks odd from this picture

raise the coils a bit more the cotton is still over the holes just a bit both sides so the cotton leaves the coils and goes straight down another question are you using wetting the cotton with ejuice after wicking? and what percentage is your PG/VG

I did ok, well at least I hope, as you said, and I lifted the coil a little while. I changed and shifted cotton trying as much as possible not to be on top of the coil.
Obviously cotton once put I put the juice and after I start. 70/30 PG/VG or 80/20

the length of the cotton was not the problem it is the cotton over the holes and is that regular cotton or? it looks odd from this picture

Cotton is the kendo gold edition. Too thick like cotton?

Attachments

• IMG_20170301_184517.jpg
    IMG_20170301_184517.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 29
    IMG_20170301_184517.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 21
    IMG_20170301_184517.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170301_184559.jpg
    IMG_20170301_184559.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 22

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cotton is the kendo gold edition. Too thick like cotton?[/QUOTE]
I did OK, well at least I hope, as you said, and I lifted the coil a little while. I changed and shifted cotton trying as much as possible not to be on top of the coil.
Obviously cotton once put I put the juice and after I start. 70/30 PG/VG or 80/20

Cotton is the kendo gold edition. Too thick like cotton?

Its better the coils still are not straight with some 70/30 you may get a tiny bit of leaking i have found that 80/20 works better and does not leak make sure you Prejuice the cotton as well before screwing the tank back on and refilling this will also help preventing a quick flood of the cotton that could cause a bit of leaking until the vacuum gets going... it does look way better hope this helps

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Should I get this RTA or the troll v2 RDA?

Sent from moto x pure

If you want a tank, get the RTA, if you want to drip, get the RDA

They are completely different animals

DanzBorin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Insulator melted like ice cream on a hot summer day on first pulsing of coils. Huge design flaw. Amazed that so many reviews I read tried to make people feel stupid for thinking it was possible. 0 of 5 stars.

patgall

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Little write up on the new Troll RTA........

I've had many tanks along the years, those that know me, it's a bit of standing joke just how much vape gear I own, that doesn't make me an expert but it does give me the luxury to know what's good and what's not..

Let's first say this tank is for lung hitting only with plenty of airflow, it's a really compact size and holds 5ml of juice. It's not going to give you Modfather clouds lol but that's not to say it can't chuck them..

So onto the tank itself.

Machining is top notch, threads are buttery smooth, afc is a little tight but it's OK, build quality is fine and it looks kinda sexy. Comes with a spare glass, your usual coils, o rings ect, usual stuff you find with wotofo.

Build deck

First off this isn't an original design by Wotofo, I've seen this deck before on a RDA so it's not a first. Building on it is a pleasure, just as easy as any velocity style deck but what I like about it is it separates the coils, I've not heard any reviewer mention this, the air is directed on both coils but it kind of separate because there is no gap between the posts for it to pass through, whether this adds to the flavor I don't know but boy does this have flavor......more on that later.

Wicking

I hate when something is a pain to wick, in that you have to wick it just right or it will leak everywhere, the Billow V3 Plus is a prime example of this.
I built a Clapton but used a flat 0.3*0.8 ribbon wire core and wrapped it in 32g, some so this reduces flavor as the juice doesn't soak into the coil as much, personally I have not found this but what it does do is reduce the ramp up and ramp down times a lot, I really like these.

Coils were 3mm ID and I used Muji organic cotton, nothing fancy, cut the wicks by putting the scissors between the top of the deck and the bottom, this gives you the perfect length for you wicks. Stuffed them lightly in the holes, you don't have to worry too much about plugging them, I dunno, it just doesn't leak, whether that's due to the raised deck or not remains to be seen.

Short version, it's easy to wick and doesn't leak, not a single drop.

This is a small tank, not much bigger than an RDA and looks super cool on the new Therion 166 blacked out.

Another reason it looks great on this mod is because it fits the curves at the top of the mod, it's 24mm and that 1mm less really makes a difference.

Top fill with two large kidney holes, the drip tip, although this may be a con to some because you can't use a standard 510 one, to me, it doesn't matter, in fact, I prefer it that way.
The whole top cap is the drip tip, a bit like the Tobeco super tanks but this has a metal thread inside so it's not going to wear or strip. The main thing I like is how you can rest your lips on top of the cap and because it's delrin it's extremely comfortable, these little things when vaping matter a lot seeing as how many times we put these to our lips. It doesn't get hot either, not even at 80w.

Next to a OBS Engine 25mm, gives you an idea of just how compact the tank is.

Wicking like a champ

Plenty of bubbles from the wicks, no dry hits chain vaping this at 80w (coil came out to 0.25ohms, dual) Thick saturated vape, just what you want.

No spit back whatsoever, not even after filling it, there is no juice flow control, by design, it's not needed, again, I have to stress, this doesn't leak......sure it's not a dead cert like the OSB Engine but it's better than most, some tanks I feel uneasy with, watching to see if any juice flows out the afc, I don't feel like that with this one.

Final Thoughts..

So how does it vape, outstanding, no doubt about it, the flavor on this is right up there, almost RDA flavor, the gap between an RTA and RDA is getting smaller by the year. Lovely swooshy airflow, kenedy style, two airflow holes around 3mm each, wide open it's the perfect draw for me, the airflow shines on this tank. The tank doesn't get hot unlike some, there's nothing worse than when a tank heats the sides of your mod up.

Cons

There are a few (isn't there always) The phillips head screws are gunk and that's because the heads are so shallow, I am always super careful and never usually complain about this but I stripped two of the screws, they are still in the tank and I have a feeling when it's time to change the coils it's going to be a pain in the rear to get them out. They don't work, yeah, for single wire they probably will but when you need to tighten fused claptons ect, they just aren't up to the job.

I have to replace these with hex grub screws, I'm not sure what will fit yet but either way, the stock ones have to be replaced. I will post an update when I find some that fit.

Maybe there's another con but it's early days but the insulator (German made) because it's between the posts and is where you pulse and dry burn your coils, will it melt over time ? It was find with this build so again, i'll have to update you on that.

No stardard 510 drip tip, personal preference but it would be nice to have the option.

Subjective con but needs mentioning, this thing drinks juice like crazy, like real crazy lol (build dependent too I guess)

Update (already?, yup lol)

I always like to come back after my first tank full is empty and I have refilled it again, there is still no spitback, no leaking and now the wicks have bedded in a bit this tank is flavor flavor flavor and a nice cloud chucker. It's on par with the Serpent Mini but you get more vapor, that's pretty impressive for a tank like this.
Maybe next time I'll try some stapled Claptons and lower the coils a little, see what works best but for a first build, you can't fault it....and I didn't really get my coils and wicks to the stardard I usually do and it still vapes great, you get the picture.

Rixsta rating of 4.5 stars.......it would of been a full 5 but those grub screws, omg, wotofo, you designed the tank for big coils, why would you use such terrible screws. Out of all the attys I have had, these rate along with some of if not, the worse screws I've ever come across.

In saying that, this is going to be one popular tank ! Awesome Vape..

UPDATE - 1 The grub screws from the OBS Engine fit perfect into the Troll RTA - YAY ! I'm sure they are a pretty standard size then and others will most likely fit. Good news

UPDATE 2 - So yes, the hex grub screws are soooooooooo much better, they tighten down a lot more and work perfect, problem fixed. I put some zipper coils in and lowered them a little further down towards the air holes, not sure if the increase in flavor is due to the coils, the position or both. It's chucking more clouds now too, came out at 0.15ohms.

UPDATE 3 - Pulled the zippers out, didn't like the vape, put my go to fused SS Claptons in, 2 x 26g wrapped in 32g NI80 0.20ohm.
Positioning the coils so the top of the coil is in line with the top of the insulator seems to be the sweet spot, not only for flavor but also for airflow, to close ruins the air and vape in general.

No need to wick to the bottom either. Insulator shows no signs of melting or anything.

hi there

Just got the tank and the flavour is amazing. However, whatever you do, DON'T install big fancy coils cause the insulator will melt. I put in staggered claptons and the my insulator melted a bit. Better off with 3mm micro coils single coils, or fused clapton at most

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Insulator melted like ice cream on a hot summer day on first pulsing of coils. Huge design flaw. Amazed that so many reviews I read tried to make people feel stupid for thinking it was possible. 0 of 5 stars.
Both mine are still absolutely fine months later.........

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
mine insulator melted too.. i've put spare one and spaced the coils further works fine now..

I hate the wooshy airflow but flavor is good indeed
I guess crazy big coils are a no go, I stick to SS fused Claptons and have never had a problem.

With so many reporting this, there is obviously a concern though and maybe the traditional velocity deck would of been better.

DanzBorin

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I guess crazy big coils are a no go, I stick to SS fused Claptons and have never had a problem.

With so many reporting this, there is obviously a concern though and maybe the traditional velocity deck would of been better.
I think the design is great, just the execution fell short. They either needed to figure out another way to pull it off or a material with a higher melting point than peek. Honestly about 5 minutes of testing should have made this quite obvious.

Now that I have the coils that came with it in there, it works fine. My issue are the airflow as mentioned (too whooshy) and the fact that I can go through 5ml of liquid almost as fast as I can run through a single re-up on my dripper. For this reason, I will still stick to the RBA on the Big Baby for my daily tank. Flavor is just as good and none of the issues.

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the design is great, just the execution fell short. They either needed to figure out another way to pull it off or a material with a higher melting point than peek. Honestly about 5 minutes of testing should have made this quite obvious.

Now that I have the coils that came with it in there, it works fine. My issue are the airflow as mentioned (too whooshy) and the fact that I can go through 5ml of liquid almost as fast as I can run through a single re-up on my dripper. For this reason, I will still stick to the RBA on the Big Baby for my daily tank. Flavor is just as good and none of the issues.
Have you tried the OBS Engine, very good tank indeed.

Here's mine

VU Sponsors