Become a Patron!

would like to avoid face explosion, req help confirming ohms/battery

http://www.heavengifts.com/Aspire-CF-Sub-ohm-Battery-with-Max-40A.html

that is the battery im using, and the coil is 1.8 omhs which I think is .8 above the spec limits here?

IIRC it was ok to slightly exceed the resistance, but not undercut it is that right? this setup has been safe for over 200 cycles but after the recent explosion headlines I figured better check. when I do the math walk through safety specs I keep getting a factor of 2.22 (4.2 volts/1.8 coil or even 1.6 for safety hedge) my problem is knowing what to do with the 2.2 factor, does that equal face explosion or not thanks~!!

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With a 40Amp over head you are good. I'm pretty sure those have short circuit protection. If you are just using that and a pre built coil head in a sub tank you are good. The guy who blew his face off was using a sub tank and a mech mod. I never recommend that to anyone.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The key is understanding Ohms Law. Use an ohms law calculator and be sure that your resistance wouldn't cause the voltage to draw to much amperage for your battery to handle. 40amp battery is a very high ceiling. You should be good as long as you don't go to a super sub ohm level.

I really thank you for looking into it, these explosions are crazy. Ive dealt with lipo for a solid 10 yrs now on rc planes, drones etc and aside from gross overcharging the ones we flamed out was due to excessive drain but they never, ever exploded even the youtube vids of abuse show a flame out but not explosion when overdraining to purposely test the ranges on them...makes me think these metal cases need seams that w release upon cell expansion, then these cells shouldn't be any different than rc right> we'd be seeing burns but not blow your face off wow

to me these mod cases are p bombbs due to no seam release ability, weak points in the retentive metal casing

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I really thank you for looking into it, these explosions are crazy. Ive dealt with lipo for a solid 10 yrs now on rc planes, drones etc and aside from gross overcharging the ones we flamed out was due to excessive drain but they never, ever exploded even the youtube vids of abuse show a flame out but not explosion when overdraining to purposely test the ranges on them...makes me think these metal cases need seams that w release upon cell expansion, then these cells shouldn't be any different than rc right> we'd be seeing burns but not blow your face off wow

to me these mod cases are p bombbs due to no seam release ability, weak points in the retentive metal casing
Good mechanical mods have vent holes. However, neglecting Ohm's law, and/or using a tank on a hybrid mod, doesn't end well.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
With a 40Amp over head you are good. I'm pretty sure those have short circuit protection. If you are just using that and a pre built coil head in a sub tank you are good. The guy who blew his face off was using a sub tank and a mech mod. I never recommend that to anyone.
There is no such thing, only in pulse ratings its possible. LG HB6 is the best rated battey for current drain and its a 30A Continuous Discharge battery, the Sony VTC batteries are 15A/20A/25A rated for continuous discharge. There are many realistic battery assessments done by third parties online, Mooch has many he tested here. Do not believe wrappers, buy Samsung 25R's or LG He2/4 or HB6's if your worried about Current ratings.

Last edited:

exodus

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
short answer,,the set up your are looking at getting is SAFE ,

sidenote,,Hybrids are SAFE also ,hybrid adapters with aspire tanks are not safe because aspire uses a soft insulator that allows the positive pin to move sideways causing a dead short, and boom

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is no such thing, only in pulse ratings its possible. LG HB6 is the best rated batted for current and its a 30A Continuous Discharge battery, the Sony VTC batteries are 15A/20A/25A rated for continuous discharge. There are many realistic battery assessments done by third parties online, Mooch has many he tested here. Do not believe wrappers, buy Samsung 25R's or LG He2/4 or HB6's if your worried about Current ratings.
Yeah. Honestly though if you're wanting to super sub ohm do it on a parallel box. I never go below .14 on a tube. Personally. Of course I know plenty of people who do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Isn't the aspire cf subohm a regulated battery? Not in terms of variables, just an oversized ego with a 510 connection.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Isn't the aspire cf subohm a regulated battery? Not in terms of variables, just an oversized ego with a 510 connection.
I believe so

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you want to minimise issues then use a regulated mod! Look around at all the accidents and try to find an instance where it wasn't a mech mod or cheap old 'e-cig'.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah. Honestly though if you're wanting to super sub ohm do it on a parallel box. I never go below .14 on a tube. Personally. Of course I know plenty of people who do.

I would never even go that low on a tube mod..

If anyone is wanting to build that low.. you should be telling them to pick up an unregulated box mod with two brand new batteries, married in parallel.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would never even go that low on a tube mod..

If anyone is wanting to build that low.. you should be telling them to pick up an unregulated box mod with two brand new batteries, married in parallel.
I agree. Not to mention, building that low on a tube drains your battery so fast. Even if you use a good battery.

head_jt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree. Not to mention, building that low on a tube drains your battery so fast. Even if you use a good battery.

True, but aspire built that battery with hella mAh. I'm looking into one just for form factor alone. Just to see how any people I can get to think I'm running a subtank on a hybrid mech mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The point is: safety!! That is not a safe resistance for a single 18650 battery. 0.14 ohms and let's say for all intents and purposes a fully charged battery at 4.2 volts.. That's 30 amps, and 126 watts. If you want to go that low, get a parallel mod and split that amp between the batteries, please! All this unsafe use of Vapes and people harming themselves is just another reason the FDA can use when trying to ban the Vapes we love, guys. Safety first then enjoyment

Calls To Action! casaa.org

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
...batteries don't just explode for no reason. I really do not see the point in risking it. Use quality regulated mods!!!

VU Sponsors