Become a Patron!

Wrapping outer wire flavor question

Markcyril

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I made some aliens free hand (I don't own a drill and pretty much lazy to setup one) , 3x26g k1 x 36g k1 and 2x24g ni80 x 36g k1, the other day and the flavor is little to non existent.

My question is how much does outer wire tightness affect the flavor?

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In theory, the thinner the gauge wire you can use and the tighter you can get it is supposed to allow for better flavor due to having more “channels” for the juice to soak into. I’m not sure exactly how big a factor or how noticeable it would be from one to the other, though, in actuality.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Markcyril

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the reply mate. I'll try to find some premade 40g Claptons next time and check if that would help.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good luck...40ga can be a pain to work with sometimes, or at least has a steep learning curve. I can clapton 40ga around a single core all day long, but trying to wrap it around multiple cores as the decor wire of Aliens is something I’ve yet to master...it keeps straightening out on me as soon as I engage the drill or it catches something like the ridges of my fingerprint and messes up as I’m trying to guide it.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not convinced that 40g is in any way superior to 36g. I'm not sure if I'll be ordering more after I get through this 1500'. I have a feeling I'll have gone through a few thousand feet of 36g before I have to make that decision though :D

I know very little about fluid dynamics but it seems like a liquid with a viscosity like vg/pg might work better with (at least a little) gap between wraps. When I started alien clapton wrapping I was predictably bad at spacing so I'd push all of the wrap down the cores to make it look more presentable, but always wondered if that was impeding the fluids ability to wick into the coil (not the cotton of course). I still don't know. Without understanding surface tension and viscosity and capillary draw etc,.. it's hard to guess.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not convinced that 40g is in any way superior to 36g. I'm not sure if I'll be ordering more after I get through this 1500'. I have a feeling I'll have gone through a few thousand feet of 36g before I have to make that decision though :D

I know very little about fluid dynamics but it seems like a liquid with a viscosity like vg/pg might work better with (at least a little) gap between wraps. When I started alien clapton wrapping I was predictably bad at spacing so I'd push all of the wrap down the cores to make it look more presentable, but always wondered if that was impeding the fluids ability to wick into the coil (not the cotton of course). I still don't know. Without understanding surface tension and viscosity and capillary draw etc,.. it's hard to guess.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same thing when I was learning about building fused Clapton’s and aliens and such, and when I posed a question pretty much verbatim about how does the liquid have any chance to seep into the “gaps” if they are so tiny, it was pointed out to me that during the process of wrapping the wire around the screwdriver or jig, it still creates enough of a gap through the spreading that occurs. Then they started talking about surface area, and like you had mentioned, about fluid dynamics and how even though the evaporation process is very fast, that during that process even a thick fluid gets thinner upon being heated up and has the chance to run through the crevasses before vaporizing and also that the liquid that doesn’t quite heat to the point of vaporizing is still thin enough to seep in before cooling back off after you stop firing. I was nodding off at that point, though, so, who knows lol, that’s why I covered my bases by saying things like “In theory” :)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I mostly build single core claptons using from 24 to 30 gauge as core wire. I've built some dual and triple core but always back to single core cause its easiest and also effective. I've never built a alien or any other fancy multiwire coil. From what I understand from clapton coils is the wraps are like juice channels and the wraps just transfer the heat have nothing to do with the ohm resistance other than fluctuate the ohms cause of shifting in the set screw area from heating then cooling. Your mod resisters the core wire so you can undo clapton wraps for a more secure connection if fluctuation becomes a issue.
Thinner the wrap wire the faster it heats then cools off so 32 wrap retains lots of heat so your cooking juice onto the coil after the hit, the amount of sizzling after the vape tells the tale. The wrap wire has to be tight enough that when you wrap the coil you see no separation on the wraps partially exposing the core wire while making the loops of the coil, this IMO makes the vape hotter than it should be. I use a bead threader and the protank head method to make my claptons, drill standing up with a clamped down jig on the other side and my spool dangles under as its wrapping and I never touch it, have one hand on the trigger and other pushing down on the core so it doesn't jiggle while spinning screwing up the wrapping. I have the bead threader tight enough so its a effort to dispense the wire, also IMO you can't have constant tight pressure of the wrap wire while dispensing the wrap wire by hand.
I got tired of replacing batts with thicker wire claptons so my fav build for now is 30/34 with kanthal as core then SS as wraps. It makes a surprising cloudz vape and its much easier on the batts. The day I tried my first clapton that came in a TFV4 RBA preinstalled was the game changer that totally changed my building technique.
I got some spools of 38, 40, 44 and 46 gauge SS in the mail from the UK so gonna build me some super fine wrap wire clapton builds that I've been putting off for eons. The 34 gauge wrap I've been using works just fine but I want better....always on the hunt to improve my vape quality.

VU Sponsors