Become a Patron!

WTF Is A LiFePo4 Cell?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
They are Lithium iron phosphate batteries
Its a low Mah high discharge cell thats normally around 3.3V, I have a few of them I pulled from a Dewalt drill battery. I use them for RC...I have 18650 sized cells also. They are the safest cells oin the market in high discharge and can take a beating without flinching. Unless your using them in series it wouldnt be worth using them in a boxmod as they are low voltage.

Here's a good read on what they are in more depth: LINK

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
They are Lithium iron phosphate batteries
Its a low Mah high discharge cell thats normally around 3.3V, I have a few of them I pulled from a Dewalt drill battery. I use them for RC...I have 18650 sized cells also. They are the safest cells oin the market in high discharge and can take a beating without flinching. Unless your using them in series it wouldnt be worth using them in a boxmod as they are low voltage.

Here's a good read on what they are in more depth: LINK
So these are the cells for stacking them to insane voltage levels? (Such as a 12+V series)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So these are the cells for stacking them to insane voltage levels? (Such as a 12+V series)
You very well could but I advise against cell on cell stacking and would suggest using connectors, they will fit in most 18650 sleds, they need a charger that will charge them also, a normal 18650 charger will not charge them. You need one that is compatible with LifePo4, like a Duratrax Onyx Charger...You can even rapid charge them over 5a without damaging them, well atleast the A123Systems LifePo4's...they are pretty insane batteries

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have a small collection of Lithium Cells of all types from RC'ing

Batteries .jpg Batteries.jpg

Attachments

• Batteries.jpg
    Batteries.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 7

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You very well could but I advise against cell on cell stacking and would suggest using connectors, they will fit in most 18650 sleds, they need a charger that will charge them also, a normal 18650 charger will not charge them. You need one that is compatible with LifePo4, like a Duratrax Onyx Charger...You can even rapid charge them over 5a without damaging them, well atleast the A123Systems LifePo4's...they are pretty insane batteries
I still remember all psyched getting my Nautilus with 1.0 coils

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"used to", as in 2010.Lol
Had to work with what was available and known at the time, and the safest. They still get stacked in my flashlights though.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
This article is what got me intrigued. It actually on the A123Systems 26650s. I would of course put them in sleds. The whole 70A continuous rating of them got me REALLY wanting to try them out lol. Several months ago I was wanting to build a 1,000 watt mechanical mod but everyone kept telling me it would be nothing more than a bomb no matter what batteries I used.

https://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/the-a123-26650-pack-and-the-end-of-rc-lipo/

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
"used to", as in 2010.Lol
Had to work with what was available and known at the time, and the safest. They still get stacked in my flashlights though.
They are still the highest discharging cells available in that size, I cant wait for BioSolar Super Cathodes and the hybrids to start coming out, they are going to make li-ion batteries seem like AAA batteries...but thats about a decade off from now..

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This article is what got me intrigued. It actually on the A123Systems 26650s. I would of course put them in sleds. The whole 70A continuous rating of them got me REALLY wanting to try them out lol. Several months ago I was wanting to build a 1,000 watt mechanical mod but everyone kept telling me it would be nothing more than a bomb no matter what batteries I used.

https://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/the-a123-26650-pack-and-the-end-of-rc-lipo/
You can easily use a lipo series box to reach that....3s-4s with 555 board and a pot. I would have a professional assemble it though since your not experienced with those ratings.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You can easily use a lipo series box to reach that....3s-4s with 555 board and a pot. I would have a professional assemble it though since your not experienced with those ratings.
I actually wanted to build it myself though. I found a few places willing to build one from a rc car pack but wanted like $150 just for labor. They have someone building Lipo mods selling them on eBay for like $175. They call them Lofty mods.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I actually wanted to build it myself though. I found a few places willing to build one from a rc car pack but wanted like $150 just for labor. They have someone building Lipo mods selling them on eBay for like $175. They call them Lofty mods.
If your building for around 1000w, with more then 60a for current then I HIGHLY suggest you get some in depth info on it, Im not even that crazy to do it myself, at that rate switches can weld together wide open, burn up standard fets and pots...you will need equipment made for that, on top of some 10g-12g wire directly soldered to the chips...one thing goes wrong you have multiple grenades in your hand, every part and joint needs to be perfect or will yield resistance in your setup and that can cause failure easily. Just be safe...Have it inspected by someone to get a second opinion if you do end up doing it on your own before using it.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I actually considered using a golf cart battery hooked up to a 510 before (36.6V) but was convinced it was totally crazy

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I actually considered using a golf cart battery hooked up to a 510 before (36.6V) but was convinced it was totally crazy
I wouldnt suggest anything over 4S, you will need to build coils that can handle it and even then it wont be enjoyable, make sure to include a regulator of some sort so you can tame it when needed. You can pick up a Turnigy 4S lipo (MAKE SURE ITS ATLEAST 30C) for around $25 online. Use XT60 or Deans Ultra Connectors for lowest resistance between connections and use silver solder if you can.

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting battery.
Thanks for posting.
The reduced aH makes sense with the higher continuous discharge amps.
A lot of the batteries in that size and larger are exactly the opposite = low continuous current, ~.5 amps... but 6 to 8 aH capacity - used for memory backup.

1000w mech? Hope is was for a ecig costume that 'worked'.

"He was simply charging like he always does. That’s pretty much it for me and my affair with RC LiPo, since I know these guys and they know their shit… and still had fires."

Just because his friend had been doing it for a while with no issues, does not mean he was doing the right thing, long term.
Get a dead cell in a series pack and charge to healthy cell voltage, fire.
Boeing found out the hard way, even though they were warned by a coworker.
Balance charging and using protected cells prevent this - as well as more sophisticated current and voltage monitoring in mondo packs like the tesla.

Been waiting for my dyson vac pack to die so I could see what is inside. Haven't had any Li tool packs go down yet.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Essentially the 1,000w mod would be for those certain contests most men seem to end up in (comparing size) and to just blow people's minds. Also I know what a Mosfet is but what is a "pot"? You can see why I haven't built a mod by now I hope lol

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Essentially the 1,000w mod would be for those certain contests most men seem to end up in (comparing size) and to just blow people's minds. Also I know what a Mosfet is but what is a "pot"? You can see why I haven't built a mod by now I hope lol
This is what worries me. Its a potentiometer.
Wiki's definition: A potentiometer, informally a pot, is a three-terminal resistor with a sliding or rotating contact that forms an adjustable voltage divider. If only two terminals are used, one end and the wiper, it acts as a variable resistor or rheostat.
I understand the want for its but the same can be bought easily enough, a HOG V2 clone with the right build could easily push 1000w technically, in the end that all its relies on is the build. Ohms law and making sure you can push the builds for the wattages, battery safety.
You will want 2 mosfets with resistors, a Vandal Switch, a Fatdaddy V4 510, Turnigy Lipo, a PWM Board (555 or other), atleast 12g wire, silver solder, Deans Ultra Connectors, a box to hold it all and if using a lipo I would suggest getting some velcro straps to keep it from moving around.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, so one of these
14630955337331317503074.jpg
That one is on my Invader 3. I totally forgot about the HOG & HOG 2. I ended up with a IPV3 Li instead of buying a HOG. I have also always wanted a mod like my first gaming pc. It had one of those plasma globe panels. I got tons of custom mod ideas, but not the funds to build em.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh, so one of these
View attachment 50746
That one is on my Invader 3. I totally forgot about the HOG & HOG 2. I ended up with a IPV3 Li instead of buying a HOG. I have also always wanted a mod like my first gaming pc. It had one of those plasma globe panels. I got tons of custom mod ideas, but not the funds to build em.
Yes thats it right there..Im rocking a customized Alienware M14x R2 Extreme right now...my kid dumped my coffee on my 6K Gaming rig I built a few months ago so this is what Im using temporarily.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes thats it right there..Im rocking a customized Alienware M14x R2 Extreme right now...my kid dumped my coffee on my 6K Gaming rig I built a few months ago so this is what Im using temporarily.
That's your temp computer?!?!?! I been drooling over Aliens since they hit market but could never justify pulling the trigger on one. Seems every time I go to get one, I have no reason to. I did decide a while back I will just start buying/building things I want no matter how silly the reason why. Keeps me from having regrets.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As others have mentioned, two things:
1) The voltage is lower so you need more to get equivalent watts to a 3.7V battery
2) They have very low mAh especially for a 26650.

But yeah if you were trying to build something ridiculous they're not a bad option.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yous guys talkin about a pwn box? You need a 30mm rda just to fuck with one... 11mm diameter coils, 15-16 wraps.... even then you probably couldnt turn it up all the way... they sell 4s lipo pwn boxes theyre a little on the extreme side...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yous guys talkin about a pwn box? You need a 30mm rda just to fuck with one... 11mm diameter coils, 15-16 wraps.... even then you probably couldnt turn it up all the way... they sell 4s lipo pwn boxes theyre a little on the extreme side...

Some of us are already there :p I wanted to get one made to fire things like this...

20160326_161935.jpg 20160425_165826.jpg 20160418_142138.jpg 20160324_180645.jpg20160401_111230.jpg

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yea a pwn box will light all that shit up quick as hell...

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Theyre not too expensive either probably what a nice mech tube mod goes for.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Theyre not too expensive either probably what a nice mech tube mod goes for.

I was looking for a Custom 3-4S with a 555 or similar PWM board and a Pot for some control...I dont have a nice solder gun or anything anymore so building my own would require about as much as a box would cost so I plan to just buy one instead...There's been a good sized hole in my life since I killed the HOG V1 :( and its time to fill in that gap

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Check out j & j box modz they do some serious work.

VU Sponsors