Become a Patron!

WWE Wrestlemania 36 Live Results: Winners, Highlights, and More - Night 1

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Welcome to Part 1/Night 1 of IGN's WrestleMania 36 live blog! Keep it locked in here all evening for the latest match results, winners, highlights, low points, and a broad spectrum of reactions. With this year's Showcase of the Immortals happening under historic, game-changing circumstances -- as WWE's annual mega-event unfolds over two nights, in front of no fans, with pre-taped matches and miscellaneous live segments -- we sort of know Saturday's card. The two Kickoff Show matches are official, as WWE posted them earlier today on social media. The four main marquee matches for tonight however (Cena vs. Wyatt, Lynch vs. Baszler, etc) are strongly rumored, but things could change. And then there are the eight floating matches (the tag team bouts, Otis vs, Ziggler, etc) to pull from as well. The understanding is that there will be eight matches on each main show (not counting Kickoff contests). So yeah, folks...what the hell is this going to be? Will it simply feel like what we've been seeing from RAW, SmackDown, and NXT over the past few weeks or will there be a marked difference to the presentation given that it's (quotey fingers) WrestleMania? [ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2020/04/02/the-10-best-wrestling-games-of-all-time"] Obviously, this isn't ideal at all. This isn't how we wanted Rhea Ripley's first 'Mania to go. This isn't how we wanted to see McIntyre main event. But [Just the Ten of Us theme plays] they're doin' in the best they caa-aaan. Hopefully, this s*** is still all done up like a pirate ship. We need that in this RUMcertain times. I'll also be live-tweeting both nights over at @TheMattFowler, so let's all get self-isolating AF!
Drew Gulak vs. Cesaro (Kickoff Show)

Yup, this is weird, folks. It just is. Can't be helped. At least there's a...pirate backdrop? Decently worked quick match between two solid technicians but, to be honest, I spent so much this match focusing on the fact that Michael Cole was calling the action Joey Styles-style. All alone. I'm not exactly sure why things turned out this way. Why he couldn't have one other person to chat with and bounce things off of. It's notably distracting. Would it just be for the pre-show? Was this it for the next three or four hours? Egads. I know the matches are pre-taped, but is all the commentary recorded after the fact too? Gulak wound up taking the pin clean here after a release airplane spin (weeee!). Ultimately, it didn't matter who won here since the Artist Collective will continue to feud with Bryan and Gulak. Also, WWE finally took away my God-given right to casually call every Kickoff Show match “a decent contest that nicely warmed up the crowd.”

• Winner: Cesaro
Intercontinental Champion Sami Zayn vs. Daniel Bryan

SmackDown Tag Team Champion John Morrison vs. Jimmy Uso vs. Kofi Kingston (Ladder Match)

Elias vs. King Corbin

WWE Women's Tag Team Champions The Kabuki Warriors vs. Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross

Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins

Raw Women’s Champion Becky Lynch vs. Shayna Baszler

The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles (Boneyard Match)

Universal Champion Goldberg vs. Braun Strowman

[poilib element="accentDivider"] Matt Fowler is a writer for IGN and a member of the Television Critics Association. Follow him on Twitter at @TheMattFowler and Facebook at Facebook.com/MattBFowler.

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors