Become a Patron!

[WWHD] - What would HIC do?

An idea of a thread: you have a recipe which is good, but you can feel it deep inside, it's still not "HIC's recipes" good.
Post it here and see if HIC or someone equally enlightened can come up with the spark of genius that will take it to the next level.

- - - -

So I'll start with this one:

Violet/Black Cherry Tea
FA Black Tea 4%
FA Black Cherry 1.5%
FA Violet 1%
FA Fresh Cream 1%
FA MTS 0.1%
TFA Koolada 0.1%

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
An idea of a thread: you have a recipe which is good, but you can feel it deep inside, it's still not "HIC's recipes" good.
Post it here and see if HIC or someone equally enlightened can come up with the spark of genius that will take it to the next level.

- - - -

Violet/Black Cherry Tea
FA Black Tea 4%
FA Black Cherry 1.5%
FA Violet 1%
FA Fresh Cream 1%
FA MTS 0.1%
TFA Koolada 0.1%
.5% FA Honey
1% FA Lemon Sicily

wetmini

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Caramel covered chocolate meringue cookie

flavours are a little high,but that is probably because I was building it flavour by flavour on a dripper. Would probably try half in the flavours next time. I found it to be very good except for a slight chalky taste on the finish.

Max VG

FA Meringue - 4%
FA Caramel - 3%
FA Vanilla Classic - 2%
FA Cocoa - 1.5%
Brand X Sweetener - 2%
Water - 10%

wetmini

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, but I like it that high with the black tea. Try just black tea, Honey, and lemon Sicily.
My bad. Didn't know you were recommending what to add to his recipe. Thought you were adding a new recipe of lemon honey. Makes a little more sense now.

wetmini

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have you tried using Meringue at 1%?? I usually use it at 0.25, max 0.5 I just wonder if that's why it's chalky.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give that a shot and see how it goes. Only problem is I was going for a strong meringue taste with this one as I really enjoy the FA Meringue flavour. I will update you when I mix a new batch though.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give that a shot and see how it goes. Only problem is I was going for a strong meringue taste with this one as I really enjoy the FA Meringue flavour. I will update you when I mix a new batch though.
It's a good one, for sure, for those not sensitive to it. I find it highly concentrated. Those that don't care for it so much, find it quite eggy tasting. I'm glad I fall into the former of that one.

mink

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

- - - -

Violet/Black Cherry Tea
FA Black Tea 4%
FA Black Cherry 1.5%
FA Violet 1%
FA Fresh Cream 1%
FA MTS 0.1%
TFA Koolada 0.1%

Sorry, I'm no HIC either but did you try Cramptholomew's suggestion of adding
.5% FA Honey
1% FA Lemon Sicily?

Let us know how it turns out

Reactions: VOL

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
very good except for a slight chalky taste on the finish.

FA Meringue - 4%
FA Caramel - 3%
FA Vanilla Classic - 2%
FA Cocoa - 1.5%
Brand X Sweetener - 2%
Water - 10%

I think Meringue is giving you the chalky finish. Maybe try replacing a little of it with FA (or other brand if you prefer) Marshmallow to see if you can fix the finish. 3% Meringue, 1% Marshmallow, worth a shot.

wetmini

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think Meringue is giving you the chalky finish. Maybe try replacing a little of it with FA (or other brand if you prefer) Marshmallow to see if you can fix the finish. 3% Meringue, 1% Marshmallow, worth a shot.

Thanks for the input. I have some marshmallow planned for my next order anyways, so I'll definitely try it.

From the input of others, I have tried a new mix. Chalk taste is gone, but it lost a little something. It is still very good to me though.

Max VG
FA Meringue - 2%
FA Caramel - 2.5%
FA Vanilla - 2%
FA Cocoa - .75%
FA Honey - .10%
Brand X Sweetener - 2.5%
Water - 15%

Added the honey to try to get the Meringue pop a little which worked a little and added a sweetness up front.

wetmini

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also want to thank you HIC for the notes page you have obviously spent a lot of time putting together. I would be much further behind without it. Also would have never tried this with out your notes on maple syrup.

I call it
HIC's Sweet-tooth

MAX VG
FA Maple syrup - 1.5%
FA Caramel - 1%
FA Fresh Cream - 1%
FA Honey - 0.10%
Water - 15%

You are right about brushing your teeth after. So sweet and so delicious.

Sigmardin

The Vapographer
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the input. I have some marshmallow planned for my next order anyways, so I'll definitely try it.

From the input of others, I have tried a new mix. Chalk taste is gone, but it lost a little something. It is still very good to me though.

Max VG
FA Meringue - 2%
FA Caramel - 2.5%
FA Vanilla - 2%
FA Cocoa - .75%
FA Honey - .10%
Brand X Sweetener - 2.5%
Water - 15%

Added the honey to try to get the Meringue pop a little which worked a little and added a sweetness up front.
Try adding a very small amount like around .10-.25% of something in the citric acid category like FA Lemon. Meringue is often accompanied by a high citric acid component and may be what you're missing to make it pop the way you want. If that doesn't work, try 1-2 drops of FA Arctic Blast or any other menthol really.

morgoth32

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Trying to emulate a raspberry coconut chocolate bar for a Freind
30ml
Nicotine Base 1.0mg
Bountiful FA 7%
Coca FA 1%
Raspberry FA 2%
89/11
Steep one week
Chocolate coming through quite well very slight coconut no raspberry any ideas on how to improve this?

Sigmardin

The Vapographer
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
30ml
Nicotine Base 1.0mg
Bountiful FA 7%
Coca FA 1%
Raspberry FA 2%
89/11
Steep one week
Chocolate coming through quite well very slight coconut no raspberry any ideas on how to improve this?
Put a touch of Citrus underneath that Raspberry?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
30ml
Nicotine Base 1.0mg
Bountiful FA 7%
Coca FA 1%
Raspberry FA 2%
89/11
Steep one week
What's Bountiful? I'm just now hearing of it! I'm so surprised you can't taste much raspberry. That one is SO strong to me.

morgoth32

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes HIC'S it's a chocolate coconut concentrate I think it might have some sort of cream in it to, bountiful is supposed to taste like a bounty chocolate bar, it has a soft coconut centre covers in milk chocolate I'm not certain what country's it distributed to its similar to the bar flavour I was trying to create except it has a raspberry coconut centre with a slightly darker chocolate like coating Huck I can tast no raspberry at all at 2% maybe the FA UK concentrates a weaker in strength?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
maybe the FA UK concentrates a weaker in strength?
I sure wouldn't think so, they come from the same place, initially. Some people are more sensitive to different flavors. I see things like that happen, but that one really surprised me. Your "Bounty" candy bar sounds like our "Mounds".

morgoth32

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes that's right huckleberries it is similar to your mounds by Hershey's I've just been doing a bit of research on it it's not quite the flavour I was after but it's the closest I could get using the flavours I have the bar flavour I was trying to emulate is called a ruffle bar by jamisons it's an old fashioned chocolate bar it's prob not available anywhere other than the UK and not widely available or popular any more. May be the bountifully percentage is to strong and muting the raspberry, back to the mixing table I think

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok basic chocolate bar Hic has a recipe for
its like
3% coca
2%chocolate
.5% tfa acetyl pyrozine

then add rapserry to that try2%

Plonq

Member For 4 Years
I'd love some input. My first creation that I've really liked is Berry Cream, but it seems to be missing the sour/tartness I want from the berries.

3.5% Forrest Fruit [FA]
0.5% Fresh Cream [FA]
1% Marshmallow [FA] (Don't have meringue yet)

It's lovely and smooth, not too sweet, but feel it can be improved. I was thinking maybe 0.5% Anise (after reading HIC talk about it brightening fruits).

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd love some input. My first creation that I've really liked is Berry Cream, but it seems to be missing the sour/tartness I want from the berries.

3.5% Forrest Fruit [FA]
0.5% Fresh Cream [FA]

It's lovely and smooth, not too sweet, but feel it can be improved. I was thinking maybe 0.5% Anise (after reading HIC talk about it brightening fruits).
Lemon or Lime perhaps?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

3.5% Forrest Fruit [FA]
0.5% Fresh Cream [FA]

FA Black Currant will give you that tartness! Anise goes, too.

Hi all, first thanks, I posted this before leaving for a work trip, hoping it would catch, and am glad to see it did.
Just came back home and tested the stuff.

.5% FA Honey
1% FA Lemon Sicily

Thanks man, I tried your suggestion.
Knowing my honey, my test was with 0.1%, and while I get where you're coming from (honey + black tea + sicily) the added honey in my case, even at this lower concentration, turned everything into a wax candle on which one has gnawed.
Lemon sicily might have done something, but it was hard to tell, so I made a test with 0.5% Lemon Sicily alone. Not that great either, I'm afraid. But not your fault, just mine, I should have been more precise in what the recipe already did, what I thought it lacked etc, but also didn't want to clog the subject of the thread and leave room for out of the box suggestions.
Sicily made the recipe lose its roundness (reason I added the MTS) which I think is very important to preserve with floral aromas, and the acidic aspect shifted the taste to something borderline "chemical/scented cleaning product", which is easy since the original taste is already pretty weird to begin with.
* As a side note, if anyone wanted to try that recipe, when you mix the aromas, and just after adding the fresh cream (even worse if you swap for Tres Leches for example) it well smell like puke. That's when you must keep your faith. Milk and violet are enemies at first but with a few hours of maceration, they get along just fine.

How about adding Gin? http://the-bitter-truth.com/liqueurs/creme-violette/
(see the Aviation Cocktail recipe)

You see, this is why I started this thread. Thanks HIC. I hadn't thought about alcohol, at all.
Tried with 0.5% Gin, it's tasty, interesting. Surprising even, because alcohol and violet move the whole recipe towards the fragrance realm, almost like vaping a perfume, but a fruity one. Not a liquor, a perfume. Hard to describe.
Because YOLO, I pushed further in this direction, and swaped the Gin for 0.05% Pine Tree (super strong flavor) (generic french brand for those interested) , and the result was: sitting in a sauna, while drinking a cup of tea into which one would have poured a dash of Chanel (I already poured Chanel in my coffee, and that's what it reminded me of, one can taste that there is something but one mainly tastes coffee, maybe is it even just the smell that suggests the change in taste)
It might seem weird but I'm quite pleased with this because it's really hard to enjoy a vape outside of the sugary field, and this recipe, even if not perfect, begins to touch something else.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
... alcohol and violet move the whole recipe towards the fragrance realm, almost like vaping a perfume, but a fruity one. Not a liquor, a perfume. ... while drinking a cup of tea into which one would have poured a dash of Chanel (I already poured Chanel in my coffee, and that's what it reminded me of, ..

Am I totally misunderstanding, or are you saying you actually drink coffee with perfume in it? :eek::D You're kidding!

I ONCE poured a dash of Chanel #5 in my coffee. And drank it. You understood perfectly :)
My best friend happens to be a perfumer and genius ideas like this one also happen to cross our minds when we meet. The rationale was as follows: folks at Absolut put gold glitter in their vodkas, what could we put, equally ridiculous, in our coffee ?
There you go.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I ONCE poured a dash of Chanel #5 in my coffee. And drank it. You understood perfectly :)
My best friend happens to be a perfumer and genius ideas like this one also happen to cross our minds when we meet. The rationale was as follows: folks at Absolut put gold glitter in their vodkas, what could we put, equally ridiculous, in our coffee ?
There you go.

I'm reminded of this: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-mixes-diy-recipes-store.54921/page-22#post-594888 Not especially appealing to me, but I had to know how it tasted.

This violet aroma indeed seems involved in many weird businesses...

More seriously, I'm the same, once an idea has popped up in my mind, I got to know, however ridiculous the premises are.

morgoth32

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok basic chocolate bar Hic has a recipe for
its like
3% coca
2%chocolate
.5% tfa acetyl pyrozine

then add rapserry to that try2%
Yes a simple chocolate recipe it workeds well dripping but not strong enough for a tank imo no coconut influence in your suggestion though

VU Sponsors