Become a Patron!

X Cube 2 & Billow V2 Nano

Hello everyone,

Introduction
I have been vaping for about 2 months now on my Subox Mini Starter Kit.

Build was as follows:
0.6ohms resistance 26ga kanthal at 2.5mm, 5 wraps.
Fire at 24W for about 0.4 seconds. (Anything more would give me a dry hit)
Juice is 50/50 - PG/VG (Funta Grape *Malaysian Vape*)

The flavour and vapor production was unreal. It was fantastic if I might say so myself, so I gave it to my girlfriend and decided to move on to something which could give me even MORE flavour and MORE vapor production.

The Issue
I have just bought a brand new set of Smok X Cube 2 coupled with the Billow V2 Nano.

Upon first building it, I was advised by the retailer to wrap 26ga Kanthal with 10 wraps on each coil.(Dual Coil)

This gave me a reading of about 0.54ohms. I tried firing it at the same settings, 24W. It honestly tasted like fried grapes or roasted grapes. No dry hits since I never pressed the button for more than 1 second, just really warm hits with an incredible amount of throat hit.

However, the taste never improved. No matter how I looked at the settings and tried to tweak them, I never found the flavour I loved. I wasn't even able to obtain anything close.

Here's a picture of my current build:

10 wraps at 2.5mm 26ga reading at 0.59ohms
1LRkuWm.jpg

2CgHJEo.jpg

I have tried doing:
26ga spaced coils at 2.5mm (5 wraps each coil)
28ga compact coils at 2.5mm (11 wraps each coil)
26ga compact coils at 2.5mm (5 wraps each coil)
26ga compact coils at 2.5mm (10 wraps each coil)

And I played around with the wattage, switching to temperature mode, hoping to find the sweet spot but to no avail.

Roasted grapes for days. :cry:

Any suggestions to revive those moments would be great.

:nun:

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMHO, you're wattage is too high. Most of my fruity ejuices I vape between 30-37.5W.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Assuming, the tank was free of any machine oil residue. The only other thing I can think of, that could cause a burnt taste, is a wicking problem. The Billow is a bit tricky in regards to having the proper length of wicking material, going into the juice channels. In addition, too much wicking material in the coil can choke the wick. In both cases, the juice can't get to the coils quick enough. Check the wicking material that's in the coil, for discoloration, shortly after you changed the wicks. If there's discoloration I'm pretty sure it's one of the two things I mentioned.

Assuming, the tank was free of any machine oil residue. The only other thing I can think of, that could cause a burnt taste, is a wicking problem. The Billow is a bit tricky in regards to having the proper length of wicking material, going into the juice channels. In addition, too much wicking material in the coil can choke the wick. In both cases, the juice can't get to the coils quick enough. Check the wicking material that's in the coil, for discoloration, shortly after you changed the wicks.

Thank you for your kind advice.

It seems that the issue lies within the wicking. You're right. It is slightly tricky and I misinterpreted the canals that were present on the sides of the deck. I rewicked and pushed the wick in as I screwed on the top cap, ensuring that none of the cotton gets squished and exposes out of the bottom of the cap. I would say that the flavour has improved drastically. I guess the juice was not able to get to the coils quick enough and was not sufficiently wet. However, I am facing an issue with vaping on Watt Mode. I am currently vaping on "Temp Mode" at 100celcius. Anything other than this setting wouldn't give me optimum results. Not too sure if I'm doing it right.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
For temp mode, you would have to use either Ni200 or titanium wire. It can't regulate properly with any other wire. For power/wattage mode, you can use Kanthal, SS, or Nichrome wire. Personally, I prefer Kanthal, although I do have TC mods.
BTW, my coils for the aforementioned wattage use are 0.3-0.5 Ohm. I haven't had any dry hit issues, but my first wicking was causing a slight leaking, when the tank was 1/4 full only.
Maybe those videos help.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
he has an xcube 2 he can do SS TC if he has the most current firmware

For temp mode, you would have to use either Ni200 or titanium wire. It can't regulate properly with any other wire. For power/wattage mode, you can use Kanthal, SS, or Nichrome wire. Personally, I prefer Kanthal, although I do have TC mods.
BTW, my coils for the aforementioned wattage use are 0.3-0.5 Ohm. I haven't had any dry hit issues, but my first wicking was causing a slight leaking, when the tank was 1/4 full only.
Maybe those videos help.

Thank you for all the information. It helped

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
if your in temp mode using kanthal THAT IS THE PROBLEM

it will not work right at ALL

VU Sponsors