Become a Patron!

X1 RDA Top Cap Problem

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have recently been having a problem with my X1 RDA. When taking off or putting on the top cap, the inside walls of the top cap scrape and even sometimes gets stuck on the atomizer to the point that there are visible copper shavings in the wick and I have to force the cap down or spin the cap clockwise while pressing down to get it togo all the way down into position. I figure that the problem would have to be that the top cap is bent or misshapen (like an egg) even though it looks like it's a perfect circle. Was just curious if anyone else has had similar issues and if so, what is the best way to fix it? I don't want to just risk messing it up worse than it is by doing it myself when there might be a better solution.
6a6498ec0175cda84da2ab70e3511da8.jpg

And this is how far it goes down on its own before it starts catching/scratching
109e54ea48a1afe0d00654fd18f89677.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
MMM I've got five of the 24mm X1's including the Copper one, haven't had any sort of issue like this.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Truly odd...I have the X1 also and its smooth, perfect resistance on the o-rings etc. I also normally just pop the drip tip off when juicing her up and only remove the cap when I am putting in new wicks or coils.

Looking at the battle scars your mod has, possibility the cap bent a little?

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Either it's a cheaply made clone or whatever the deck is plated/finished with is cheap. Either way, the issue is the plating on the deck is cheaply applied, I had the same issue with old Plume Veil clones, there's not much you can do other than scrape ALL the plating off of the deck.

There's another possibility, if the top cap was dented or bent slightly, this could've fucked up the tolerance on the fitting, then from there you forcing it down on could be scratching at it.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Truly odd...I have the X1 also and its smooth, perfect resistance on the o-rings etc. I also normally just pop the drip tip off when juicing her up and only remove the cap when I am putting in new wicks or coils.

Looking at the battle scars your mod has, possibility the cap bent a little?

That's the odd part...the only thing I thought it could be was a slightly bent or flattened part of the cap, but I can't find any irregularities and when the cap is pushed all the way down, it's nice and snug on the o-rings exactly like it always had before I was having the issues, so, no visible deformities and fits perfectly when pushed down and into position, it's just that it's catching the sides while pushing it down and cutting into the copper pretty good. I thought it was scraping on the screws, but now think it might be the posts. I think I'll try to take a metal file to the side of the top of the posts and shave them down a bit...I'd rather try to fix it that way rather than trying to bend or misshape the cap to fit

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have a nickel handy? Slap it on some paper and trace it...then put the cap over it and trace it...this can show if the cap has deformities that the naked eye can't see. well only at the base, wont show if the upper parts so without calipers

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Either it's a cheaply made clone or whatever the deck is plated/finished with is cheap. Either way, the issue is the plating on the deck is cheaply applied, I had the same issue with old Plume Veil clones, there's not much you can do other than scrape ALL the plating off of the deck.

There's another possibility, if the top cap was dented or bent slightly, this could've fucked up the tolerance on the fitting, then from there you forcing it down on could be scratching at it.

It's an authentic, not a clone, and it's not a problem I had out of the box...everything was perfect with it for the past month or so with no issues of it catching or scraping. If it was a right out of the box problem I'd assume cheap clone, but it's not the case here...this is a pic of when I first got it...not a clone by any means
9a1cdf227b4e0882cabee4eb30f972b0.jpg

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have recently been having a problem with my X1 RDA. When taking off or putting on the top cap, the inside walls of the top cap scrape and even sometimes gets stuck on the atomizer to the point that there are visible copper shavings in the wick and I have to force the cap down or spin the cap clockwise while pressing down to get it togo all the way down into position. I figure that the problem would have to be that the top cap is bent or misshapen (like an egg) even though it looks like it's a perfect circle. Was just curious if anyone else has had similar issues and if so, what is the best way to fix it? I don't want to just risk messing it up worse than it is by doing it myself when there might be a better solution.
6a6498ec0175cda84da2ab70e3511da8.jpg

And this is how far it goes down on its own before it starts catching/scratching
109e54ea48a1afe0d00654fd18f89677.jpg

How come ur orings not the same?

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How come ur orings not the same?

While taking them off to do a cleaning it popped one and it snapped...I'm not the most organized guy in the world and have tons of little packages with spare o-rings laying around my graveyard of vaping junk and it was the first one that I came across that was the right size

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While taking them off to do a cleaning it popped one and it snapped...I'm not the most organized guy in the world and have tons of little packages with spare o-rings laying around my graveyard of vaping junk and it was the first one that I came across that was the right size

Did the scraping start after you change orings?

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, not at all...and when it's down, it fits exactly like brand new on the o-rings, it seems to be catching the points on the top of the post corners about halfway down the cap and just needs some extra oomph to push it the rest of the way down and fits and works like a champ then, just scrapes like a bitch and I don't wanna vape copper filings

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, not at all...and when it's down, it fits exactly like brand new on the o-rings, it seems to be catching the points on the top of the post corners about halfway down the cap and just needs some extra oomph to push it the rest of the way down and fits and works like a champ then, just scrapes like a bitch and I don't wanna vape copper filings

Just drip from the top... SS FTW in the future...

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just drip from the top... SS FTW in the future...

Only problem with dripping from the top is this damn "under the coils" airflow. I usually have to "paint" the coils and wick with the juice to keep it controlled otherwise I end up with juice running out of these lower airflow channels and all down the Mod. My Mutation V3 used to have the same problem, I might just go back to my copper Mini-Buddha

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only problem with dripping from the top is this damn "under the coils" airflow. I usually have to "paint" the coils and wick with the juice to keep it controlled otherwise I end up with juice running out of these lower airflow channels and all down the Mod. My Mutation V3 used to have the same problem, I might just go back to my copper Mini-Buddha

I feel ur pain
I have the x1 30mm jooze all over the place...

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm, I'm thinking maybe the vaping gods are taking pity on me now, because I just noticed my federal tax return was deposited, so, now I get to be an idiot and spend it all on vaping hardware and supplies! Anyone have any recommendations on what Mech Mod and RDA they would buy if money was not an issue? I know preference and vaping style and coils and all that plays into it...just asking opinions, there's no wrong answer, lol...just seeing if maybe something in the vaping world snuck by me or I didn't give a second look and should've because I missed out

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Any of the Mason RDA's, and if by 'mech' you don't exclusively mean tube mods, I recommend the HoG V3 clone from 3F Vape. There's also the Iron Maiden RDTA, the VCST 36mm, 40mm Mason DT RTA, 40mm MF Voltrove RTA and more if you like tanks. The Mason RDA series comes in 22mm, 24mm, 27mm, 30mm and 40mm as well so it has lots of options. The Mason is my favorite RDA of all time, the design is simple yet perfect.

Unregulated mods:

Noisy Cricket II-25 or II-22
HoG V3 Clone
Noisy Cricket V1
Endo Armor 26650
AV Able 18650
Custom shit.

Regulated:

RX300
Smok GX350
DNA250 Mods
Noisy Cricket II-25 or II-22 (it's a parallel box, a series box and a series regulated box all in one.)
Smok Alien 220W
Sigelei 213 Plus

RDA's:

Mason series
CSMNT
Buddha Z
Temple
Alliance series
Mutation series
Tsunami 24mm Plus
22/25mm Troll V2
Twisted Messes Skill
So damned many

RTA's:

25/36mm VCST
30mm BFDT CCI
30/40mm Mason Dumptank
Griffin Plus 25mm
23mm OBS Engine Nano
Troll
So damned many

RDTA's:

25mm Aromamizer Supreme
30mm Aromamizer Supreme Plus
25mm VGod TT Pro R2
30mm Iron Maiden
41mm MF Voltrove
25mm Boreas
So damned many

Last edited:

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Currently this is my starting lineup that I'm using:
dd1047dcd291a5d6f2cf2666ae88b52e.jpg

I use the reuleaux with a fat Buddha for when I wanna go with a regulated device (typically keep alien coils in it), then the X1 Mod and RDA for a Tube Mech (just a basic pair of 2-strand or 3-strand parallel coils) and then for my series box I got a piglet with a glacier v3 sitting on it with dual parallel Clapton coils

6e08a6974e2cee9ffbf84dc6f6f10f0f.jpg

Last edited:

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Do try the 22mm, 25mm, 27mm, 30mm or 40mm Mason RDA. They're all great, some even come in series deck configurations, the Gemini series. Hell, they even have 30mm and 40mm RTA versions.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone have any recommendations on what Mech Mod and RDA they would buy if money was not an issue?

I was going to buy the Samael Resin/Baal RDA combo ( Filipino Parallel Mech ) but pussed out and bought a Hexohm recently due to being on sale...

Really sexy mod and I shall get it!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone have any recommendations on what Mech Mod and RDA they would buy if money was not an issue?

Pilak with its matching rda, both the Mod and RDA are 100% 92.5% pure silver.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone tried or heard much about the Able Competition Mod by Avid Lyfe?
3e6ee931a29c1b1f2a81087b61a85c16.jpg

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Yes. They're the crown jewel of tube mods where I live. Lowest voltage loss that can be expected from a tube mod, high build quality, nice button and feel, good 510, etc.

VU Sponsors