Become a Patron!

X2 charger overheats and starts smoking

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I have an ego x2 at the moment that I'm using with my Kanger Protank 3.0. Today when the battery died I plugged it into the charger and noticed a funny smell after a couple minutes. Low and behold, the charger was smoking and had burned through the plastic. The battery wasn't overheated at all but now I can't charge the battery without that one charger overheating. I tried another charger and although it turned red, never charged. Could this have something to do with the center pin?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
By plugged in do you mean you plugged a mini usb connector into the base of the X2? You mention the center pin. Have you had an issue with it? Can you 5 click the X2 on and off? Does it blink repeatedly and shut down if you do? If you've been making adjustments to the pin it is certainly possible it has a short. There is a rubber insulator that the pin slides through. If that is damaged it could be the source. If it were mine I'd retire it and look for something else to put my Protank on.

Last edited:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree better safe than sorry on anything that smokes when charging.

Jonnyk1ix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
unplugged from a tank the battery will only let me fire it up regardless of how many times i press it. when its connected to the tank it only blinks 5 times. I have figeted with it before because of it sinking too low to gain a connection and im guessing this time i figeted too much.

VU Sponsors