Become a Patron!

Yesterday, got the istick 50 and kanger subtank mini...a bit lost

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guys,

Yesterday I got the istick 50 watt and kanger subtank mini. Excited to venture into your world, here. My ego-style vape pen from vaporfi got lost in the mail or something so it hasnt gotten here yet.

Although I am satisfied with the quality of everything, I am a bit unsure if Im doing everything right.

1. Im used to mouth to lung inhales. So Im using half of the smallest hole. The guy at the store put me on the .5 coil. Im sitting right now at about 11.5 watts. is this OK?

2. since i do mouth to lung, is it useless for me to use subohm coil? Should I use the 1.2 coil? (or 1.5, whatever the other one is)

3. the guy said my ego style pen's tank and atomizer would work fine on this istick 50. He said to use around 4.5 or so watts. What do you guys think? Ive heard the istick delivers like 11 watts regardless.

4. I get small bits of liquid in my mouth, rarely. Is this normal?

5. Guy at vape shop said this tank shouldnt be used for PG content above 50/50 ratio. So, 70/30 PG/VG would not be good for this. What do you guys think?

Thanks a ton guys.

John

Last edited:

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Guys,

Yesterday I got the istick 50 watt and kanger subtank mini. Excited to venture into your world, here. My ego-style vape pen from vaporfi got lost in the mail or something so it hasnt gotten here yet.

Although I am satisfied with the quality of everything, I am a bit unsure if Im doing everything right.

1. Im used to mouth to lung inhales. So Im using half of the smallest hole. The guy at the store put me on the .5 coil. Im sitting right now at about 11.5 watts. is this OK?

2. since i do mouth to lung, is it useless for me to use subohm coil? Should I use the 1.2 coil? (or 1.5, whatever the other one is)

3. the guy said my ego style pen's tank and atomizer would work fine on this istick 50. He said to use around 4.5 or so watts. What do you guys think? Ive heard the istick delivers like 11 watts regardless.

4. I get small bits of liquid in my mouth, rarely. Is this normal?

Thanks a ton guys.

John
You should always start at the lowest settings of watts or voltage with bringing it up until you get a vape you enjoy. .

shaunnadan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey buddy
Congrats on getting the istick and subtank!
You should start with the airflow as small as possible and then increase it as you feel comfortable. I used to love the tight draw in the beginning but now I can't use any tank unless the airflow is fully open. The same with wattage, find something and then increase it at your own pace.
Also hunt around for a narrow drip tip. The standard tip is a bit wide and changing it can make a world of difference to the mouth-lung hits
Since your not after huge clouds with the mouth-lung hits then perhaps stick with the 1.2ohm coil. It will give you a cooler Vape and also since your using it at a lower wattages then the battery life of the istick will last immensely longer.

The ego style tank can fit if you use the ego-510 adaptor that's included but I'd personally stay away from that. The ego style tanks weren't meant for such high wattage devices. The Vape is rather dismal on those tanks compared to the subtank anyway.

Liquid in your mouth !!!! Argh.... That's spitting from the coil and it's not as tasty as you would hope it to be. If your using the occ coils then perhaps increase your vg ratio on your liquid. Also the 0.5 coils need a bit of power to fire nicely and at low wattage the wicks are still heavily saturated when your inhaling. I've never had spitting on the 1.2ohm coils

The subtank can handle up to max vg on the occ coils and the rba base needs a bit of tweaking to get it to deliver enough juice to the wicks . In terms of pg the tank can handle 70/30pg but if your pushing the wattage on that tank your going to get a massive throat hit from all of that pg! I'd stick with 60/40 vg as the smooth and cloudy ratio of choice .

Also I'm not sure what nicotine levels your on but since the subtank give you a lot more vapor it's also delivering nicotine a lot more effectively into your lungs. You would definitely need to consider dropping to a lower nicotine level as compared to what you may have been using on those ego style tanks. Just something I thought I'd mention it if you haven't heard it already.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
shaunnadan, thanks a TON. You even answered one or two questions I forgot to ask!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
First of all, may I suggest that you kindly tell the guys at the vape shop to................Well be quiet?

You are you and they are they.

It is your own taste that matters and that is that!

The 50/50 ratio is also BS IMHO.

Granted that that ratio is good for all new vapers to start at, but your gear will allow you to try other options.

By the way, a lot of the tanks that come with eGo batteries are CE series clearomizers that are pretty much junk in my opinion. And a lot of other vapers will second that assessment.

Go ahead and experiment with the gear that you purchased and find the setting that is right for you!

Not the dude in the vape shop.

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The istick 50W (and 30W) regulate fine down to ego levels if you want to try a smaller atty; it was the 20W that didn't do low power. You'd simply get a huge amount of time between charges!

I've only tried the 1.2 ohm coil in my subtank. As @shaunnadan says, a drip tip with a narrower bore helps with mouth-to-lung. But still, the stock coils don't work particularly well without plenty of power - closer to 20W for the 1.2, and I'd guess more for the 0.5. I'm not getting much use out of mine, TBH, which will probably only change when I get round to building my own coil for it (using thinner gauge wire).

Jaaxx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are you and they are they.

crass_logo_web.jpg

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the same setup, except my Istick is the 30 Watt. I could not make friends with the 0.5 ohm coil. The vape was too strong / hot for me. I also had the problem with Juice spitting in my mouth with 0.5 Ohm coil. I put in the 1.2 ohm coil and have been very happy ever since. I fire mine between 14 and 17 watts with 50/50 juice. I have tried it at higher and lower wattage, but find between 14 & 17 watts is the sweet spot for me.

Last edited:

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you stick with mouth-to-lung hits, I suspect you'd do better with the 1.2 ohm coils. The 0.5 is designed (according to Kanger) to work best at between 20-30 watts while they suggest 15-25 watts for the 1.2. With either coil (at those wattages), you going to get a lot more vapor than you did with your earlier setup. They're really more designed for lung hits.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had problems with my kanger mini and nano with max vg. Alot of dry hits and flavor sucked cause it didnt feed it fast enough.It did good with anything that is 70vg% and lower for me. I also liked the tight draw at first but now like many have said I like big airflow. When i used the .5 ohm i ran it around 20-25 watts depending on the juice.That's a good beginner setup, mine was a istick 30 and a subtank nano. You will be happy for alittle till the addiction for more and better kicks in.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay guys, I have pretty much everything I initially bought and waited for, in the mail.

istick 50 W + subtank mini: i have only used 50/50 and 70/30 (vg/pg) in fruity flavors so far. Ive even been able to do lung hits without feeling like im about to pass out. Its kind of like sipping a good drink (mouth to lung) then wanting a few big gulps (lung hit) sometimes, for me. I've enjoyed it. For mouth to lung i just use the smallest hole and it's all good. I set it to around 18 watts for that. Lung hits I open it all the way up and use 25 watts.

ego pen, plus stock tank (2.2 ohm) and additional aspire ET with 1.8 ohm coil. Ive used this so far with the higher PG stuff, 70/30 PG/VG stuff I had bought earlier. Especially the N.E.T.s I have gotten. Ive enjoyed this as well. This higher nicotine, higher PG stuff is much easier to vape with this.

I have also noticed the aspire et 1.8 seems (to me) to work better on the ego unit than using the istick 50 set to, say, 9.5 watts. Or even 7 watts or something. It almost feels like the istick 50 is just too much for this tank/coil?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Oh, and the N.E.T.s I got were from naturallyextractedtobacco.com and goodejuice. So far, goodejuice has won hands down. But ive only used both in the ego stock and aspire units.

VapeQueenMT

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the Kanger subtank mini/istick 30w and I also had the spitting. I read somewhere if you have your airflow all the way open to cover it leaving a small spot for air and take a hit. It did help but only temporary. I only had it with the RBA and so I redid my wick using more cotton and now I don't have problems with it.

VU Sponsors