Become a Patron!

Yet Another 18650 Battery Question

vapemesilly

Member For 4 Years
I'm new here...and new to sub ohm vaping. Just bought (online) an Eleaf 100TC box mod. It says it uses 18650 High Drain batteries. I've been to several web sites and I notice that there are lots of different 18650 batteries, 2500 mah, 3000 mah, flat top and so on. I haven't seen anything yet that says "high drain" batteries.

I don't know what that means and so I am very unsure as to what batteries to order. I don't want to order batteries that are too weak, or too strong or something that's going to set my part of town ablaze.

Can someone explain batteries to me?

Thanks.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
High-drain batteries are those with 20amp or higher CDR; the mAh is irrelevant, you need to know the amount of amps that the battery can supply; if it's not enough, and you use a low resistance coil, you're just begging for a thermal runaway ("e-cig explosion").

The best place to buy batteries is illumn.com or liionwholesale.com. Quality batteries which aren't cheapie re-wraps, and excellent prices.

Andria

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
hope this helps
image1-1024x653.jpg
16%2B-%2B1

vapemesilly

Member For 4 Years
Thanks. Great info. What about the flat top vs not-a-flat-top? The documentation for the Eleaf 100TC didn't say anything about flat top or not batteries.

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use flat tops myself, depends on the mod some can take button tops and some cant.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. Great info. What about the flat top vs not-a-flat-top? The documentation for the Eleaf 100TC didn't say anything about flat top or not batteries.

The ones I use, Samsung 25Rs or LG HE2s (both 20A batteries), are only available as flat-tops; most of my mods wouldn't permit the very-slightly-longer length of a button top in any case.

The only button-tops I've used were the old Efest batteries, which were for 15w-and-below mods -- old tech. Efest has such a bad rep nowadays with rewrapping and claiming much higher CDR than is actually the case, I wouldn't recommend then to anyone, unless they were going to use them in a flashlight or something. But even for that use, which at least would be safe, I still wouldn't recommend them, just because of Efest lying about the actual CDR of their batteries.

Andria

VU Sponsors